visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

logging and tractor repair shed

Comments

• Hope the Mrs is feeling as good toma as your walls are looking tonight.
  • Looking good Kevin. Your wife will probably be fine tomorrow......Rick

yep, she rolled out of the bed at 5 am feeling good.

• Great news.
  • Great to hear...best yucky feeling around these days! Lol
  • i had a little taste of it yesterday too. and i still do, but it's not too bad.
  • Making great progress, looks great.

Glad all is well, I receive my second Friday.
  • Looking good Kevin. I get my second shot on Friday as well. Phil
  • had a biopsy done on a "scab" i had on the back of my left hand and it's nothin', so i think i'll sip some tito's tonight. here's a pic of the rear wall after chalks and a/i. the jury's still out if i'm going to drybrush it or not.
    rear wall colored 1
  • good news on the biopsy Kevin, glad to read that for you.

Looking at the wall, this nice and close, I personally wouldn't dry brush it.
  • i'm gonna give all the walls the same treatment tonight and when i have them all colored i'll decide on the drybrushing. i'm leaning toward not doing it though.
  • Be careful of "If I just do this one more thing it'll be perfect." Remember my little disaster with the black chalk? I have experienced several other variants of this with brass models and paint jobs. If your gut tells you it's good to go it probably is. My $.02.
  • I'm a fan of using sandpaper to "drybrush" boards. A light touch with 220 grit gives me a nice look. I picked up some on a rubber backing instead of paper for more flexibility.
  • thanks alan. i think i'm gonna try bryan's tip though.
  • i've been using this exacto knife handle for several years. its comfortable as hell, but the problem with it (which is probably related to my left-handedness) is that the blade comes loose, and as the knife aged the rubber sleeve just didn't hold the actual handle under it tight enough to the point where it became impossible to sufficiently tighten the blade into the handle. the last thing i needed was for the blade to come loose and fall out or whatever. and it did. all the time.
    black exacto handle
    i tried holding the blade with a pliers and the twisting the handle with another pliers and that didn't work either.
    two days ago i went on amazon to find a solution. i found this fiskar locking hobby knife handle for i think $7.00.

fiskars handle

fiskars handle unlocked:

fiskar handle unlocked
    locked.
    fiskars handle locked

i just wish it wasn't white. i've had it one day and it's dirty already.....
  • Plumbers tape on the thread of the original to stop it loosening off?
    Some tape on the back of the blade to thicken it so the clasp holds it tighter?

Just ideas because you said the original was so comfortable to hold and use.
  • Wild looking blade holder.
  • this new one is pretty comfortable
  • Fiskars usually makes quality stuff. That is an interesting blade. You'll have to tell us after a few weeks of use how you like it.
  • so far i like it alot. leverage is good, it's comfortable in the hand, and the blade stays put.
  • i got some work done on the walls, no battens yet (except for one small wall), but this is my final color. it reminds me very much of an abandoned loggers cabin we "discovered" in quetico provincial park a few years ago. there was very little if any tan in the wood at all, and that's kinda what i was after.

insides of the walls

walls colored before battens and windows

tractor rear with partial battens and window trim

rear tractor i think

still a long way to go. next up: fabricating the windows.
  • I like it a lot. Your detail work on the wood stands out and the color is great....Rick
  • Good color variation on the walls from top to bottom
  • rick and bryan,
    thanks. took alot of steps to get there. i wonder how many of them were actually necessary.
  • Walls look great Kevin, nice variations in tone and texture.
    ALL the steps were necessary, otherwise it would have come out different. Some of the steps may not be visible anymore, but, they are what brings out the finish and makes it look like it does.

All great things are built on strong foundations.
  • so far i've had a helluva time trying to orient what's inside the shed to the exterior walls. i just cant seem to get my head around the walls. i suppose once i start assembling them i will, but right now. clueless.
  • walls and windows are finished. now i start on the base....
    finished walls 1
    finished walls 2
    finishes walls 3

and just an update on my side project...

underway 1

still have to add white water and a few crashing waves....
  • Now how cool is that Kevin. Man in the boat overboard!!
  • All looking good Kevin. Keep on keeping on.....Rick
  • edited May 2021
    i was on the bridge one night (the bridge is on the top of the big box superstructure) because my division had a man powered talker on the bridge relaying information from combat information center, 9 decks below the bridge, and we were out for sea trials just outside the straits of juan de fuca (washington state) and it was really rough that night. everyone on the bridge was feeling edgy because as you can see from the model, she was topheavy. we were taking some big rolls. navy ships have overhead pipes for handholds, some ornately wrapped in fine rope. we started rolling to one side and i was holding on to the overhead pipe with both hands, and i looked down between my feet and saw nothing but water. we almost laid it on its side that night and i was on the bridge for it. i almost pissed myself. i was 19 or 20.
  • edited May 2021
    The walls are looking fantastic Kevin... beautifully done,
    Was there some dry brushing/ damp brushing involved to get the natural looking lighter patches on the boards? I really like it...
    My walls are sitting next to me waiting for me to decide my next step, so I'd appreciate your input. I think I'm over thinking the walls so I might just play with some details till I decide what to do next with them.
    I also notice you have the windows opening out, instead of in, which was also my thought,
    anyways,
    great work on the siding and I'm following your lead intently...