visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Looking Ahead...

As a general rule, I don't advocate looking ahead to my next project whilst on my current build. I get totally absorbed in the work and as I mentioned before, when asked what is my favorite SierraWest Scale Model kit, the standard answer is whatever kit I'm currently working on! However, I'm now making an exception...hey it's my rule I can break it if I want to! Lol.

There are two looming, highly exciting and much anticipated, projects that promoted the construction of this thread. The first is the next premier HO/HOn3 kit from Brett, The RiverFront! The second is my upcoming build following my current work; The Engine House at Eureka Springs. As I have stated many times before, I made the decision (albeit for fun) to build each and every SierraWest kit in the order of its release starting from the very first kit, BlueSky Company. It gets better!...I am also building each new kit Brett releases with the new release taking priority over any current retired kit build I may be in the process of working up. As an example, If Brett were to release The Riverfront tomorrow (wouldn't that be cool!) I would put Eureka Springs on hold and build the new kit as soon as it was in my grubby hands! I like plans and I like setting goals like this...it's keeps things fun and fresh, like having only one LP in my dioramas that is challenging to find...already have the little guy hidden away somewhere in the Eureka Springs complex...fun stuff...that's what this hobby is all about...having fun.

So...my next build, after Eureka Springs which is my current work, is...SHELBY'S Marine Service! Now if you're like me
(God forbid)...you would know that after Eureka Springs was the release of the kit "Water Tank and Storage Shed, Limited Edition HO/HOn3 Kit Number 202". However, this kit was one of the first kits I ever built so next in line is Shelby's. What is so intriguing about Shelby's, as it is now referred to, is a multi-faceted issue. Firstly, it's an amazing kit...pure and simple. Secondly, it will be the first water front kit I will have worked on (unless The Riverfront shows up before hand!). I so much enjoy researching, planning, and constructing that which I have not done before. I love the challenge of uncharted territory in my modeling. Shelby's is so exciting for me in that respect. Water...oh my goodness, that panic coupled with the exhilaration that sets in when I think of doing my first water "pour"! Pilings, boats, etc...all new and intimidating but at the same time exciting! It will be one hell of a build from where I'm sitting!

IMG_0180

Now, The RiverFront is equally exciting, and possibly more so, and will trump anything I'm currently working on. This kit is so highly anticipated (that's the word on the street) that once released you better be ready to secure a copy or better yet, go to the website here and pre order the kit(s). One of those "snooze-you-loose" kind of things! lol. So looking forward to the release as many of you are as well...model on!

Ken

Comments

• Here! Here! On all the above. Anticipating both builds from you and anxious for the Riverfront for myself as well.

Of course I want to see Eureka Springs to completion too......Rick
  • Thanks for wading in here Rick! Fun stuff...the planning and all.

This might be a good venue to solicit everyone's plans for their next SierraWest build project and the thoughts behind the selection.
  • Is it possible to have too many irons in the fire? I don't think so. A well thought out plan here.

Since you asked, of course I have the Foundry floundering. I've also been tinkering around with some new wood coloring methods. To date, nothing as good as the chalk method for me though I'm sure others could master painting a realistic woodgrain. I did get a very believable finish using inks and enamels, but chalk is so much easier to work with and the results were not that different. And to that point I have the walls of the Rigging Shed nearing completion. I was planning on posting over the weekend but just didn't get it done. I chose a smaller kit and will be incorporating some new scenery techniques. Often times we think of a setting when we make our builds (backwoods comes to mind), but I'd like to introduce the concept of time with this new build. Specifically, a date in time. More on this once I post a thread.

Looking forward to your build.
  • Ken.

Interesting read about your proposed line up of kit builds. I sent you a PM regarding Eureka Springs recently. Not sure if it got through to you.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Ken, looking forward to your Shelby's build as I do all your builds they are inspiring!
  • Ken, that's a tough question. I selected O'Neills because I wanted to do a detailed tutorial on an existing kit. I'm not sure what is next. I'll throw it out there for you folks. Which kit should I build? I have most of them. Also, please don't make me build the saw mill!!!! Phil
  • Phil, after O'Neil's the logical one is the Foundry. After all it is the companion to the Riverfront complex.
  • Phil - SAWMILL. Do it.

Ken - No modern Shelby's builds.
  • Bryan, enjoy the planning as I’m sure you do as well and thanks for posting your thoughts. I see you posted your build thread on The Rigging Shed. Looking forward to that one and your proposed winter seasonal theme.

Dave, did not get the PM?? Try again through the message board here.

Thanks much Tom. Right, I am really looking forward to that one also.

Thanks for that Brett, I was wondering what would be out there once I started tracking down previous builds. The research has begun so any interesting anecdotes would be welcome.
  • edited March 2021
    Ken, I hope you consider install lighting in the main building. There is so much detail inside, you can't enjoy it all without the lights. I installed lights after the fact on my Shelby's, and it made a world of difference.

Don't let the water intimidate you. I did, and when I finally poured the water, it was no big deal.
  • I was gonna mention that you did Shelby's fairly recently Steve, last few years.
    You did a beautiful job on yours and I was fortunate enough to see it in person, which looked even better than the pics.

Good advice on the water...
  • Phil, do the sawmill, there are plenty of smaller elements you can do before biting off a huge chunk of the main build....
    The machinery, the dynamite shack, the log hoist, the sawdust burner... etc
  • Thanks Karl. I’m thinking about it. The biggest issue is - where to put it??? Phil
  • Thanks Stephen for the moral support on the water pour! I’ll give the lighting some consideration...thanks for your input.