visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

disaster??

i went downstairs this morning to get a half hour of modeling in before work. i sat down at the bench and noticed a greenish hue under the left side of the glass worktop. i looked closer and it it turned out that the 2-part epoxy had oozed out of the container and all over the desktop and under the glass. i tried to move the glass to see if it had cured and it hadn't so i knew there was still hope. i ran back upstairs and turned on the google machine to see what would be effective. as it turned out, 99% isopropyl alcohol was one of the top choices, so....... i carefully slid the glass out of the epoxy and leaned it up against a shelving unit, being careful to put a piece of masonite under it to protect the rug, sprayed it down with the alcohol and let it run. then i took a 2" putty knife and scraped the epoxy off the glass, and did the same thing on the workbench. once i scraped most of the epoxy off, it took several tries at the alcohol/paper towel effort, but it worked. disaster averted. and as a nice side effect, the workbench is cleaned off and i have some space back.....
so i got that goin' for me.

Comments

• Wow!!! Great recovery and a great benefit of having a clean work surface. Phil
  • i guess the point i should have made is, if it ever happens to you, 99% alcohol will take it off.
  • Well done, Keb-meister
    Terry
  • edited January 2021
    Great tip Kevin,
    I discovered the alcohol technique for epoxy clean up in a similar situation several years ago,
    Great to read your disaster was diverted and of course its always great (and appreciated) to share these things with the rest of the members.
    Thanks for sharing the tip.
  • Good thing you recently received some 99% alcohol. Now you should order more.

Good news on disaster averted.
  • brownbr said:

Good thing you recently received some 99% alcohol. Now you should order more.

Good news on disaster averted.

i have quite a bit left. i put 8 oz of it in a spritzer bottle to spray down the epoxy.

• Nice save
  • the google machine saves the day!