visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

On30 track plan

Gentlemen,
What do you think of this track plan?
It will be 9' x 13'. It will have access from all sides. It doesn't exceed 2 % grade and has a minimum radius of 20". I can slightly exceed the overall dimensions so the tracks aren't on the very edge of the layout. It does have two reversing loops. It may be a bit "busy" but the overall plan is in its infancy.
I would like to build the layout around a brewery and the small industries that would support it. Many of these ideas have been in my head for years. I have the space and we aren't moving anymore so the planning can actually begin, very exciting! Any ideas and/or constructive criticism is welcome.
Thank you all in advance!Trackplan3B

Comments

• Reach is the most important. 24" maximum reach to track is preferred. All track outside of 24" will be where derailments and other problems occur (Murphy's Law). Been there. Also, current crawl under access may not be an issue, but as you age you will hate them. Again, been there. Friend of mine where we get to do small intimate op sessions who is 88 year old needs me, 70yrs (youngest of the group) to be the one to crawl under the layout to access derailments in tunnels. Yes spelunking is part of model railroading.

I do like your concept.

My 2 cents worth.
  • The flow is great. I like the combination of looping and point-point. Ample room for models.
    I do have to agree with Rick his points. You might be able to stretch the reach to around 30"-32", but the crawling under just gets harder and harder. Just my opinion as I am in the layout construction phase myself. Crawling around underneath doing the wiring.
  • Totally agree....I'm at the same point finally building the layout.....the reach is the rub.....I'm staying with an around the wall no more than 2 feet deep modules with a few penisulas.....
  • I agree with the comments. That's why I installed a drop down track in my last layout. See below. The drop down worked very well. If you do this, the only thing you would have to change is to make the two tracks run closer together at the access point. PhilIMG_0304
    IMG_0307
    IMG_0334
    IMG_0335

Phil
  • If I had it to do over again I would have a continuous run track so I like that part. I think you have a lot of track for the space available. I might suggest starting by getting the measurements of your brewery and any other structures that are a must. Build a trackplan around them. I don't see much room for a large structure in O scale. Case in point, the turntable looks to be about 6" diameter. If you are looking for a wagon turntable this will work. For locos maybe not. For what you described, start by locating the brewery first.

If the layout as shown here is accessible on all sides, why not go around the walls? You can still do a continuous run by using a drop like Phil or a lift out, or even "mushrooms" at the ends.
  • Good morning folks,
    Thank you so much for the feed back! These are all wonderful ideas and solutions!
    I will have to take another look at this layout and see what I can come up with. I have attached a plan of the room with a !' square grid. The two large windows can be seen as well as the closet and bathroom door. Closet closest to the corner. There is one wall I could work off of. I may have some time over the Christmas holiday to work on this. Thanks again all!
    LayoutSpace
  • I'm sure you will come up with a plan that meets your needs. I played around with the space. See what you think. It's a very basic grid using Word so don't judge. If I count correctly, the room looks to be 15x16.

I left a 3' path all the way around the walls with doors and windows (though I wouldn't rule out the wall with the windows). There are 2 peninsulas. One would be 2' wide so you can reach all the way to the wall and one is 4' wide since it can be accessed from both sides. A mushroom at the end of each peninsula should give enough room to have a loop for continuous run. there should be enough space down the middle of the wide peninsula for the brewery and the turntable. The turntable could also go down the narrow peninsula. I think something like this would give you 3 stops...brewery, distant point and something in between.2EAFED9F-F69C-4EF4-B02D-1BFA8BF2C1A8
  • You could even make the top connector-section wider, use a view block and have 2 stops with one on each side of the block.
  • First, I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, safe and healthy New Year!
    Thanks once again for all the great ideas and for getting me on the right track, pun intended.
    Taking in all the comments and ideas above I've decided to let the other track plan go in favor of the design recommendation by brownb as the duck under and reach issues can be avoided.
    I've attached the new plans which still need work and actual building locations but have the basic bones.
    Perhaps over the next few days I'll be able to get some more details ironed out.
    Once again, thank you for all the advice on this.

Trackplan5
  • Way better. Now you can focus on the finer points and the specific structures, industries and scenery. Great start to what should be a satisfying layout for years to come....Rick
  • I agree with Rick. This will be a fun layout to follow.