visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Occasional Random Thoughts and Stuff

Comments

• IMG_0058

Happy little soldiers fresh from the printer. A bit of post processing and they will be on their way to new homes tomorrow. Exciting to be able to create resin, metal, and 3D printed parts. I don't believe anybody else is producing details in three different mediums.
  • A pasture full of Texas Longhorns.... LOL.
  • EmeryJ said:

A pasture full of Texas Longhorns.... LOL.

Hook em' Horns....
  • Hi Brett,

Those look really fantastic. From the pictures it looks like you have solved the layering that shows up on 3D printed parts. Great job.

Are you including them in current kits that are shipping now instead of your current tanks?

Mike S.
  • Yeah Mike, layering/banding - no issue.

Never shipped a 3D part in a kit, until tomorrow that is. I have been shipping resin castings whose masters were 3D printed since August. HO and O.
  • exciting times.
  • IMG_0060

Thought I would take this full circle.... O Scale O'Neills part one casting assortment with 3D printed gas bottles. Took five months to get where I wanted them to be in order to be included in a kit... December 2020 marks a first for SW after 25+ years of shipping "traditional" resin and metal castings. HO Scale 3D parts will be shipping in 2021. Cool stuff...
  • And we are the beneficiaries of your efforts. Looking forward to the River Front and other future kits......Rick
  • Appreciate that you are not sending out the 3D parts still on their spruces. I’ve had such parts on spruces fly away and never to be found.
  • Brett...have you come up with any different techniques for painting or detailing the #D stuff? I would think they should be just the same as the resin stuff. I have just started working with other 3d details and haven't seen any issues as of yet. I'll get more practice with the details I will see in the next part of the O scale Foundry.
  • ALCO said:

Appreciate that you are not sending out the 3D parts still on their spruces. I’ve had such parts on spruces fly away and never to be found.

I will definitely be shipping some parts without sprues but some small, fragile items need the sprue structure to protect them!
  • Brett...have you come up with any different techniques for painting or detailing the #D stuff? I would think they should be just the same as the resin stuff. I have just started working with other 3d details and haven't seen any issues as of yet. I'll get more practice with the details I will see in the next part of the O scale Foundry.

One of the attractive properties of the resins I chose to print with is that they are quite similar overall to the resin I have been casting with for years - so same techniques and materials apply!

• Brett, that's what makes Sierra West the best kits on the market. You are always striving to come up with innovative techniques, and materials. Thanks for your commitment to the hobby.
  • ALCO said:

Appreciate that you are not sending out the 3D parts still on their spruces. I’ve had such parts on spruces fly away and never to be found.

Make that “sprue”
  • Thank you Tom, your support is much appreciated!
    "Spruces" works just fine this of year - auto correct tried to grab my "sprues" too, hah!

So I had a customer ask me this morning what makes the 3D parts good?
    Specifically for gas bottles, HO or O Scale:
    Perfectly round - not squashed like a part from a traditional mold
    Perfectly flat bottom - no need to file to get it to stand up straight
    I just press the play button on the printer and two hours later have handful of perfect castings... ok oversimplified but you get the idea!
  • Just curious.... would the 3D printed parts be any less fragile than say the tiny laser cut ones like fan blades or similar?
    Also, would it be any faster printing them as opposed to the slow process of the laser? Most importantly, would the end result be as good?
  • Emery - specifically for the fan blades the 3D parts would be too thin to package and ship. Laser is quite a bit faster than the 3D printer actually.
  • IMG_0067

Been mixing and pouring resins for well over 25 years. Why in the last year can I not find a stupid cheap plastic bottle that doesn't leak? Very frustrating to have to start every morning off cleaning the tint bottles... Never had this problem before.
  • Try www.webstaurantstore.com (Local would be Acemart store)
    They have those ketchup, mustard, etc bottles that look about like these. Rather cheap.
    I have ordered other things from them in the past and have been very pleased.
  • Everything gets "New and Improved"!
  • Just 3D print some gaskets for the bottles.......seriously.....Gasket material can be cut to help seal the bottles one would thing...
  • edited December 2020
    Thanks Emery, I appreciate the suggestion.
    Art, duh on me... gonna laser cut a gasket - thanks for the reminder, hah!
  • IMG_0069

After a minute of thought I was like crapola.... this just too easy. Thanks for making me use my brain Art.
  • Brett...been there....done that.....
  • Brett, I wonder if plumber’s PTFE thread seal tape would work with less mess when refilling the bottle?
  • I make sealing rings for these kind of bottles out of old rubber inner tubes . Works super and at no cost
  • Groovy.

Jaime
  • If you made people we could get a little Brett in every kit!!

Jerry
  • Assorted tools.....a railroad onion style lantern.....actually anything that you could get better detail from 3D printing as opposed to casting...
  • Amazing details. Just when we all convinced your kits couldn't get any better.