visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Truck repair with scratchbuilt Wilson’s Garage

I saw this structure in a movie, The Great Gatsby and have wanted to build it for some time. I purchased a truck repair kit and thought they would pair well together. So one motivated the other. The stonework is hand carved pink foam. The front is all scratch except the Grandt windows. Of course Bretts kit is wonderful. It took me quite awhile to get this going but once I got rolling I had a great bit of fun. Thanks.

Comments

• Doug was having difficulty posting these so he emailed them to me to post.

What as awesome diorama, thanks for sharing. Superb!
  • This is a superb build. The buildings go together perfectly and the vehicles add to the story this scene tells.....Rick
  • Doug,

Nice job on the diorama. I like the way everything is at a slight angel and still it all looks natural. Did you hand carve the rock work on the wall? Great use of the figures too.

Mike S.
  • Really nicely done Doug! Well worth the wait to see this top shelf dio.
  • trains4ms said:

Doug,

Nice job on the diorama. I like the way everything is at a slight angel and still it all looks natural. Did you hand carve the rock work on the wall? Great use of the figures too.

Mike S.

Thanks, yes the stone work is hand carved pink foam.

• Of course that was supposed to be "angle."

I saw were you did that on a water tank in a magazine in the past. Good job on it.

Mike S.
  • edited October 2020
    WoW, very nice diorama. Now keep trying to post photos. It,s really not difficult. Again, well done.
    I like the flowers against the wall and the other flora.
  • A build to be proud of.
  • Nice work! the stone carving turned out very nice!
  • Beautiful build ,looks great !
  • Doug...I’m intrigued by the stone carving of the foam board...do you have any progress photos of the carving as you progressed from start to finish...great job on the entire duo
    Terry
  • Doug,

Great diorama. Nice job on the structures, vehicles and figures. Didn't spot Myrtle or the yellow convertible. Probably just need a closer look.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Doug, I love the build and the combination of these two kits. They really look good together. Your sagebrush tree really adds to the diorama. I love the gas in the gas pump. The only thing I would change to make your diorama even more perfect, is to find some way to relax the gas pump hose. It should hang down naturally. You may want to apply some low heat where it is and let it droop naturally. Of course, this is easier said than done. Otherwise, you have hit a homerun on this build. Phil
  • excellent diorama!
  • Nice work, great little scene!
  • Hi Doug,

Fantastic work. Where did you get the vehicles?

Scott
  • Looks like the pickup's are Athearn
  • Great diorama Doug, beautiful modeling as always and that stonework is up there with Yorke.