visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

another repair shed

edited July 2011 in O Scale Builds
Hi all,I've just started (finally) my tractor shed build. This is being done on the layout. the floor is in and the walls are started

Comments

• what did I do wrong here? ? Anyway what I wanted to ask as well was how do you do the peeled paint effect?
  • nothing looks wrong to me??

where did you want peeling paint and can you give a reference to a finished wall to look at?
  • I was thinking of giving this building or my saw mill a coat of peeled paint
  • there were certainly a lot of sawmills that were painted (usually larger mills) but i would not paint the repair shed... a small backwoods structure would usually have been left to face the elements without the benefit of a coat of paint... with that said there were always exceptions to the norm...
  • I think the colour you have currently on the walls and floor look good. A small railway (railroad for ones South of the longest unguarded border on the planet) would have a well maintained, non-painted, and weathered structure. They could not afford to replace buildings often so would not let them go to rack and ruin.
  • Ok guys this is the effect I would like to get on the inside of the shop. How do I get it without applying too much paint?
  • edited August 2011
    I would try wiping the paint (thinned) onto the stained/aged stripwood with a cloth, instead of using a brush to 'paint ' it. Before the paint is dry use a clean area of the cloth to wipe off the excess paint, there by leaving a thin layer of paint on the boards.

This should create a stained/beached/faded look and feel to the colouration of the boards.

Further light, and specific attention with a steel wire brush when the paint is dry will chip and peel away the thin paint layer, if thats what you want to do.

Using a thin dilute A&I over this technique (if using white paint innitially) should give you a worn, aged, dirty white effect without turning it grey.

All of this is assuming I have interpretted your question correctly........

And dont forget to try it out on some scrap wood first!!

Karl.A
  • thanks Karl you interpreted it correctly
    here is the color of the outside walls
  • here are some better shots of the inside and outside
    outside
    inside,I've given the inside a coat of white wash that will allow for better light when working on equipment
  • Daryl, The shed is looking good, looking forward to seeing further progress.
  • windows are in and raising the building is happening
  • The whitewashed interior really looks great Daryl. The colours of the studs and walls in that grubby white is very realistic looking.

Will you be adding some further dirt/grime along the bottom edge of the interior walls to blend them into the floor?
    I think this would make a less harsh transition between the walls and flooring.

Very nice work so far.

Karl.A
  • Daryl

Just love the inside walls great job. The suggestion Karl made about the some grime and dirt on the bottom of the walls would make for a perfect blend floor to wall.

Jerry
  • daryl - unique, cool, and very innovative... loving it so far!