visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

NMRA Convention in Salt Lake City Awards!

I am going to the NMRA Convention in Salt Lake City which starts this Sunday. Is anybody from the forum going?

Comments

• not i, said he.
  • edited July 2019
    I can’t make it, Steve but very nice hotel....I stayed there a year ago....great buffet breakfast....you can take the light rail from the airport to the hotel...have a great time!

Walking distance to a good Italian restaurant....out the hotel lobby and left to the first intersection....right about four or five blocks....on your right but sorry I don’t remember the name
    Terry
  • edited July 2019
    Stephen entered his fabulous Shelby's Marine diorama in the National Contest and I received this note from him last week:

"I thought that you would like to hear that my Shelb'ys Marina won 3 awards at the NMRA Convention. It won 1st place in kit display, People's Choice award and the Chairman' award."

Wow! Congratulations. The people's choice award is particularly significant! Super proud of you Stephen!

You can see his diorama in the Gallery here:

https://sierrawestscalemodels.com/gallery_sd.html
  • Congratulations on well deserved awards. I'd be interested in the scoring by category as we discussed. Was there one Peoples's Choice Award or one for each category like "displays"? I assume scratch and kit-built were joined in each category. Not familiar with Chairman Award- how was it selected and by whom? Well done, young man. What's Next?
  • edited July 2019
    Well done, Stephen!!!!

Terry
  • The Chairman's Award is awarded by the Contest Chairman at his discretion. There is also a Judge's Award which is awarded at the discretion of the contest judges. I also won that award for my Scratch Built model of Sturgeons Sawmill. That model also won 1st place in the scratch built display category. There are People's Choice Awards for kit and scratch built in each category.

Thanks for your comments Terry and MIke
  • Stephen--Your Shelbys Marina looks great. Glad you were recognized for your effort.
  • Congratulations! Great diorama!
  • Steve,

That is just awesome. Congratulations!!! Nice to learn that it pretty much swept the awards that matter and having seen the diorama in person I am not one bit surprised that it did.
    https://sierrawestscalemodels.com/gallery/103_sdrees/103_sd_01.jpg

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Easy to see why it won so many awards. Its a beauty.
  • Couldn't agree more.. Congratulations..
  • Thanks for your comments Robert, Wes, Dave, Ed, Tom and Mitch
  • just curious, is the scratch built saw mill available in pictures anywhere? i'd love to see that.
    congratulations on your multiple wins. well deserved.
  • Steve. you done well congrat's. ........Carl.........
  • Congratulations Steve! I really enjoyed watching you put this together a year ago. I saw it also on you tube on the toy man television channel. Mr Angel was wondering who built it and said it was his favorite build and of course it was the fabulous and talented Steve Drees!

Jim
  • Thanks Carl and Jim
  • Congrats Steve, beautiful work as always. Glad you were recognized properly.
  • Well done Stephen. Such a great confirmation of your stellar modeling skills and further evidence that a SierraWest Scale Model in the right hands is the pinnacle of fine craftsman modeling!
  • Congratulations
  • Thanks Joel, Ken and Brownbr. I also want to thank everyone who posts their builds on this site because I learn from all of you. I couldn't have done it without everyone.
  • DSCN4904

These are the awards plaques for Shelby's Marina
  • careful, or the judges are going to start disqualifying swsm models for winning too many awards....
  • Congratulations Stephen! All that hardware is some full-tilt validation of a great model and a modeler with great skill. I bet it was fun listening for the inevitable “anybody ever heard of THIS guy?? Where’d HE come from??”
  • Hah! Now that's some serious bling!
  • My other awards for my scratch built diorama of the Sturgeon Sawmill. Here are some pictures of it.

DSCN4906

DSCN3386

• Wow!!!!!
    Terry
  • Steve. There is a lot of work their young man. Thank's for all of the pictures I will be looking at them often. ....Carl......
  • Wow! Amazing work!!!
  • The least one can say WOW !!!! Great scenes and a beautiful rather impressionistic backdrop. I like the trees in the last two photos very much. Well, there is so much to like in this diorama. The little cabins, the brook running through, the separated burning area, the mill itself.
    I will be looking at this a lot. Thanks for posting these. Once again, GREAT work.