visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Completely Unofficial O-scale Truck Repair build for Poets and Losers

Comments

• I like the rifle!

IMG_7325
    fee!
  • Another view.

IMG_7323
  • I'm not a Fan of the different colored siding? was the owner a circus clown at one time ? or just got out of the nut house and wanted to build a shop.
  • I think the framing looks out of the norm, very few things are square. Doors, windows, baseplates are visibly off... some of the firebreaks just look 'thrown in'. This catches my eye first.
    I didn't understand why you didn't use the correct sized wood for the studs and framing or follow the templates as specified in the manual so waited to comment.
    The obscure exterior color choices are obviously up to you as its your kit but not coloring the interior sides of the boards obviously detracts from a very visible interior, and made it more difficult to correct later, plus, the stains and over gluing are still highly visible.

I was waiting to see any justification for these extreme deviations from the actual kit, as for the details... they don't really match the interior and several appear quite monotone? I'm sure you'll get around to weathering those signs as you progress.

• Karl, what is a firebreak?
  • edited January 2021
    Eric- a fire break or fire block are the horizontal pieces within the frame of a structure. This slows the vertical spread of a fire within a wall cavity.. This is a very important part of many building codes.
  • Well I am quiet but you've got my attention. Deviating drastically from the original model is bold and a bit risky. I am interested in how you are going to bring this all together and make it work.
  • Alex, thank you. Not sure how that applies to a wall where the framing remains open.

Joel, thank you for the open-mind. It is a gamble, but without that, I'd just be bored.
  • The snow slowed allowing for some improved photos. Cheers! Feel free to say whatever you feel!

IMG_7339
    IMG_7340
    IMG_7342
    IMG_7344
    IMG_7345
    IMG_7346
    IMG_7348
  • For Brett. The rifle.

rifle
  • For Brett, again.

Riflelle
  • Good looking gas tanks and leather tool bag as well as the axe blade....looks like you added horz bracing (firestop) at the vertical siding. There were some boards with no intermediate attachment points and I question even back in the day if vertical siding would have been installed like that
    Terry
  • I have to hand it to you, it seems an odd way to put things together first and then stain and weather afterwards, takes much more work and a keen eye but the insides of the walls are markedly improved. I do like the bird droppings from the unused hole. I think the gun seems to be floating and is large enough that we should be able to see the hooks or nails that support it.
  • Joel, agreed! Coming.
  • edited January 2021
    A door frame in our house, which I'm forced to insure for 6.8 million dollars. This house has a huge granite block foundation. The joists are 3 1/2 by 9 inches on 16, heartwood hemlock.

My building above was re-sided in the last 10 years, which would compromise the structural integrity of the framing, which has already settled hugely because a building like this would not have a full walk-in basement.

IMG_7353
  • Glossy metal signs a few years old do not rust or weather. These are covered in GAC 100. Very shiny!
  • Already a million times better. One just has to have faith in the man !!! :wink:
  • that's what i've found. he's pretty damn good..... :)
  • What can I make window awning with? What color?
  • stiff paper. yellow.
  • MG...in the HO Build section of the Forum "Bill" posted his build for Quincy Salvage. He made awnings from tissue paper and colored them...not sure where in the build it's located...just have to thumb thru the pages...best I can do
    Good luck
    Terry
  • Thanks, Terry and Keb! Thinking metal from Scotch bottles? We'll see.

FINALLY beginning to like it.

IMG_7361
  • Gee...how about putting the inside on the outside and the outside on the inside! Lol...I'm with Joel, like the bird poo...
  • Ken, did you come back from WW2 damaged?
  • Or any other war for that matter?
  • I like the axe "stored" into the side of the cabinet.....very Maine....
  • Broken handle! Seems to say it.
  • The rifle for Brett. Better photo. Cheers!

BRETT