visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Completely Unofficial O-scale Truck Repair build for Poets and Losers

Comments

• Road trip in a fantastic car !!! :wink:
  • Three walls.

IMG_7247
    IMG_7250
  • Guys? Nothing on this? Come on. Shall I park this whole damn thing again? Your silence hurts.
  • Eric, I wanted to comment on this this morning, while the US was still asleep... It makes me think of beach cabins... But I must confess, original indeed... :blush: Bring on the surf... :smiley:
  • Ha, ha, ha!
  • Just wait!
  • Where are the palm trees?
  • Five walls. DRees, you know nothing about poor.

IMG_7256
    IMG_7258
  • Are you going to add interior siding ?
  • Karl, my idea is that the siding was replaced and, obviously, painted in a way to attract business. Interior details, but no siding. Why would I cover all that tedious framing?
  • The siding was replaced after the war when the new owner was attempting to attract business. He had seen bathing huts on the Rivera as young solder in 1945 and 1946. He had had enough GLOOMY OLD WEATHERED DAMAGED DEAD. He wanted life!
  • Seems I wasn,t that far off.. :wink:
  • From LEE TURNER! Makes perfect sense to me! GI's brought many new ideas back from the war, can anybody say pizza?
  • Maybe dull down and weather that horizontal bright white board a little more.
    Being that its horizontal I'd expect it to hold more water and therefore weather more heavily than the vertical boards beneath it.
  • I haven't weathered it at all yet, but I will. At the moment just raw wood. But thanks for keeping an eye out Karl. The guy who redid this repair shop located in Penobscot Falls Maine in 1947 was a young soldier named Howard Johnson!
  • weathering beginning to look better.

IMG_7276
  • Your framers definitely used what they had on this job. Great work on getting that to fit like that. Pretty cool!
  • It continues. Thanks for all the support!

IMG_7286
  • More progress with even less support.

IMG_7314
  • I'm a fan of the interior work...I undertand and appreciate your back story....just not sure I can completely wrap my head around it....I will wait to see the look after you weather the outer walls and get further along.
  • Labels on the fan belts are a nice touch....part of the kit or your own add...I’m wondering about the door header in the next to last pic, looks way out of level but that might be the camera shot.... I think in a 1-1 world the vertical siding would have many more horizontal framing braces ( probably a builders term for those)...like ‘muddy’ I’m anxious to see the entire scheme come together
    Terry
  • Super interesting what you’re doing here Eric. I’m really curious how all the colors come together. Bright colors like this are always scary to me but I’m sure you’ll make it look right.
  • THANK YOU! Having silence sucks! I'd MUCH rather hear you hate than nothing. It is lonely enough around here.

Seabee, I agree on the cross-members. I was just following the kit. In Maine we get HUGE out of level everything in our old buildings.
  • No silence here my brother!

I am not sold on the multi-colored siding yet but let's see what you come up with. HOJO, Hah!

A couple of clarifications:
    The manual does not picture nor instruct crooked cross members/door headers. I like them to be level and true. There is no rule to how many - so what has been pictured here is totally prototypical. Add more/less if you wish.

Maine is not unique to universal building principles so seriously dude - whatever makes you happy. I guess you do things drastically differently from us southern boyz...

The fan belts are supplied with labels as Eric has properly modeled them according to my manual.
  • edited January 2021
    Yes, the crookedness is all mine. Our buildings in northern Maine have huge issues with frost heaves. As do our roads. Even our fancy house (I'm forced to insure it for 6.8 million) shifted before it was trimmed out, so a bunch of very fancy trim is cut crooked!

IMG_7316
  • edited January 2021
    Eric-
    I’m sure hearing nothing was a gut punch. But I was confused as to what you were hoping to achieve so I remained on the sidelines.
    The colors are outside of the realm of what I’m familiar with or interested in. After re-reading the text, that left me wondering “perhaps he’s taking a humorous approach”? (A backwoods Howard Johnson’?)
    Given that, I felt I wasn’t qualified to chime in.

Other than sagging roofs, I personally tend to shy away from anything being too out of square. I dread having to answer “did you mean to do that?” Along those lines, I tack my horseshoes above door frames so that they are in a “U” position as opposed to an “n”. Rodeo guys used to say having them mounted as a “U” prevented ‘the luck from spilling out of them.’
    Interior details and signs look nice. Have you given any thought to running rows of fan belts and gaskets up at “eye level” to a scale person?

Also, keep an eye out for excess glue (along the exterior of the wall with no window) and glue stains (under some of the windows)

Those are just my observations!
    Bill