visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• thanks everyone. looks like i won't be able to get back to the bench until the weekend. life happens....
  • Love the gray color you achieved on the Office shed structure. Nice grouping of structures here with loads of contrast!
  • thanks ken. i can only hope it turns out as well as joel's.
    it won't.
  • edited April 2019
    an update:
    the stone walls have been epoxied and the epoxy has cured for three days. corners are plastered and the washes have been mixed. in a few hours i'll paint it with the kilz and start applying the washes.
    stone walls epoxied and plastered
  • any tips for this stage?
  • Not from me Kevin. FYI I used Khaki spray paint and then some brown and grey chalks to highlight some of the stones. Not sure I don't like Brett's/Karls version better. Both techniques work well and give great and quick results.
  • Kevin,
    I also sprayed my Foundry walls with Khaki and then a wash of A/I then painted individual stones with various chalks diluted in alcohol as per the instruction and I think they turned out really nice. I like the subtle variations in color of the individual stones using this method. Check out the foundry on my current build for results. It is simple and reversible if you don't like it.
  • joel,
    i went with the instructions in the manual. i'm still on the right wall because as the washes dry, i keep adding them to spots that the wash ran off of (high spots). it's going to take a good long while to finish it i think.
    tom,
    i love the way your foundry walls turned out. i primed it with the white kilz like brett's manual says, so that's the route i'm taking. as i said above, it's going to take some time to get this finished, but i think it'll be worth it.
  • The extra work will pay off. Did you paint the interior of the walls a dark color?
  • no, i didn't see a need. is there one?
  • edited April 2019
    so i got to play with washes today. here's the right wall:
    right stone wall
    i intend to give them all a powdering once all 4 walls are done.

oh, and i've been meaning to ask...why is there a boarded up window cast into the wall if its going to be epoxied to the warehouse and the window won't be visible?
  • The stone colors turned out great. Not sure how much powder you will need.
  • Looks great Kevin.
  • thanks joel and bryan. bryan, i probably won't need further weathering but if i do i will.
  • Kevin,
    That wall turned out great
  • thanks tom and ed. finished up the 4th wall last night. i'll try to post pics later today.
  • two of the three structures staged. now i move on to the loading dock.

structures staged
  • Kevin. Everything looks real good the red and stone go very well also your weathering is just right. ............Carl.............
  • thanks carl!
  • Couldn't agree more. Great job so far and I don't have any doubts about what's gonna come next.
  • you guys are way too nice. thanks robert.
  • Looks great Kevin. love the colour and contrast.
  • edited May 2019
    thanks joel. i should have tried to get a little of the raw sienna in the stones though.
  • Kevin, They really look good together.
  • colors look fantastic together! I like the grey stonework with the red... well done
  • Stone work is looking good. Well done.
  • thanks all. so you don't think it needs more raw sienna?
  • I think that you need a whole bag of it. ...............Carl.........
  • wouldn't that be fun?
  • edited May 2019
    the loading dock decking has been grained, knotholed, saw banded and stained with silverwood.
    loading dock decking 1
    loading dock decking 2