visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• the red siding looks fantastic!
  • thanks brett.
  • I like it.
  • Kevin,

Thanks for that series of "in progress" photos of how you are doing the clapboard siding of the rear wall. I especially like the color you selected. I'm a real fan of the weathered red barn siding look. Back about 30 years ago I used to drive past lots of old weathered red barns in the Palos, Orland Park and Lemont. Illinois area. You have captured the feel of my recollections quite well.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • thanks dave. the color does the same for me. there's an old abandoned garage a couple towns over that looks exactly that way. that was my inspiration for the color.
  • i finished cutting out the windows and trimming off the excess. observations: i lost a couple of the smaller boards when cutting out the windows. they will be replaced. i will also drybrush some color on the upper boards where they would be protected by the eave.
    rear wall trimmed
  • thanks carl. i'm also going to fix that board at the very tip.
  • i took my car to a local garage this morning for an oil change, and while it was up on the rack i wandered out back to his little scrap yard and took some pics of junk. here there are for reference if anybody needs them. i have one more of a greasy old gas tank i'll post when i finish posting these.
    junk 1

junk 2

junk3

junk 4
  • and the greasy gas tank
    junk 5
  • Nice work on the wall. Great reference pics. Thanks
  • i got the front wall sided today, but not trimmed out.
    my wife and i were out and about yesterday and we went to a local "antique" joint. i found an excellent tool for $10, so i bought it.
    my new tool:
    new tool
    it's 9 lbs of iron (pun intended). it seems like it would be more effective as a weight than a book is.
    front and rear walls sided:

front and rear walls sided

and here's my new tool weighing down the front wall until tomorrow:
    new tool at work
  • oh stop...
  • the bonehead in me rose to the surface today....
    i had the right side wall about 1/3rd of the way sided and realized i had the base wall upside down. (no wonder the boards wouldn't go into the notch), so i got some water and brushed it on the wall and removed the siding and started the wall all over again. almost finished with it, but my eyes started getting all blurry, so it's hanging out under the iron for the night.
    tmi?
  • the last scene. nothing is glued in here,but it will be tomorrow. these are the lps i was waiting for.
    last scene
  • lps are from omen. they are some of the best i've seen. they are pewter, but prime and paint easily and have good detail.
  • i got the windows trimmed this morning:
    front wall windows trimmed
    sidewall windows trimmed
    rear wall windows trimmed
  • Kevin. I like the color and the windows look spot on . ......Carl//
  • thanks carl.
  • Looking good, Kemo-sabee
  • thanks terry.
  • floor fits perfect and the walls are glued together. when that glue dries i will glue the floor in place and move on to the warehouse. i was going use silverwood stain on the warehouse but i decided to stick with the instructions and use the silverwood on the front wall of the tarpaper storage shed.
  • i got the floor glued in. that part of the build is looking pretty good.
    i counted out 45 boards for the warehouse, and decided to detail the boards one at a time to ensure every board shows grain. i used 3 different wire brushes, starting with a file card, then a plumbing brush, and finally a steel wire brush. i used 3 different sized drill bits for different sized knotholes (i only put knot holes in 15 of the boards), and added some saw banding. i'm done for the day.
    warehouse siding started 1
    warehouse siding started 2
  • Great colouring and details. The banding is particularly well done.
  • i haven't colored it yet. what you see are shadows. yeah...my set up is that bad. :)
  • The extra effort will pay off.
  • i managed to get the 2x10"s for the warehouse walls detailed and stained.
    warehouse siding boards stained
  • i'm wondering if i need to add more knotholes. opinions?
    knotholes
  • edited April 2019
    Knot holes and nail holes....I’m of the opinion use both but sparingly....what I see of your knots I like....my opinion for what it’s worth is you’re good to go
    Also I like your variation of light to dark on the boards
    Terry
  • i added knotholes to 17 or 18 of the 45 boards thinking that would be enough, but when i laid the boards out on the glass top, it didn't seem to me that i had enough knotholes.