visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Forum Participation

2»

Comments

• Karl,
    You are very gracious to say this. Importantly, is the time you spend keeping the forum going and supporting Brett's efforts. For those major efforts I heartily thank you.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Karl,
    I'm a very guilty party. This is post #2 for me even though I've been on the forum since January 2014. My last note was in your wonderful Painting Castings tutorial thread last March. Wow,has it been a year???

My New Year's resolution was to be better about posting even if just an attaboy for the talented folks that frequent this forum. I spent the past year finishing up some other things on my bench and am through building the Tool Shed building and platform and 95% finished with the castings. Today I took some photos – expletives!! Something is wrong with my elderly Nikon D50 camera. Horrible color. Looking back over the past month or so, I notice some early signs that something was happening, but only today did it show up in a big way. So, I'm going to have to delay starting a discussion of my build and what I have learned (and what I haven't).

On the shelf is the Line Side Storage Shed and the Wood Cutters Shack with updated instructions. Coming soon - Deer Creek Mine.

I hope to be up to speed by the time I get to that one. Thanks again for all you do to help everyone. You did a beautiful job on the Mine - I'm really looking forward to Bill's build.

David U
  • edited March 2015
    It is fantastic to have your participation Dave. Thank you for responding here and your comments through-out the forum.
    It is also rewarding to read of your progress on the Tool Shed and exciting to see that you have several more SW builds lined up that we can all follow along with and learn from.
    Your continued contributions are much appreciated by all of us that post builds and we look forward to seeing yours.
    The beautiful work on the mine was all Brett's.
    Bill's build is definitely going to be something not to be missed.
  • Although following the forum for several months, I have not joined - until today. Most of
    my modelling career has been of the "shake the box" variety as I have lacked the
    confidence to go for the gold. I have been so impressed by the wealth and depth of
    knowledge of the SWSM community. Your encouragement has motivated me to purchase a number of Brett's fine kits and jump in feet first. I am starting with the"Line Side Shed" with the goal of completing the "Deer Creek Mine". I eagerly await the next installment of Bill's build.

Thank you
    Bill Raikes
  • edited March 2015
    Great to have you join us Bill, we look forward to following along with your "lineside" build. It's a fantastic kit to start with as it encompasses most of the latest techniques, an incredible amount and variety of the finest detail castings you will ever model with, and, as always Brett's incredibly detailed manual that will lead you through every step of the construction through to the finished diorama.

There are two primary pieces of advice that I would give any person starting their first SierraWest kit, I followed them both myself and I strongly stand behind them.

Firstly... Just open the box and get started !!!
    Staring at the closed box on the shelf and daydreaming doesn't get the kit built.
    I cant say it often enough... no matter what you think your skill level is, or how new to modeling you are, if you follow the manual and instructions you will have a model you are proud of. So, don't hesitate, jump in and get started.

Secondly... Follow Brett's instructions throughout the build. Many months of work and and many years of experience go into providing you with the absolute best instructions and materials you will ever have to work with.
    The quality, production and engineering level on SierraWest kits is so high that the basic construction of the kits is beautifully enjoyable.
    On the next level you are provided with the absolute latest in finishing techniques and methods that were available (or being developed) during the kits creation.

Do not be tempted to try out some great technique, some guy posted, on some forum, somewhere.
    Follow the manual and you will end up with a model to be proud of.

The only time I have seen questions on a SWSM kit is when the builder has deviated from the manual and is trying to 'recover'.
    The outlined process in the manual is there for a reason, the materials and finishes used are there for a reason. Many months (and sometimes years) of consideration go into every aspect of a SW kit.

Numerous accomplished, national award winning modellers have done so by following the instructions. Much more so than any other manufacturer can come close to.
    That is what makes these kits so incredible and so far beyond a 'shake-the-box' kit.

Open the box, read the manual and enjoy the build.....

We look forward to your participation and also enjoying your build. Post often !

Karl.A