visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Detail inspiration

edited July 2011 in Reference and Research
I saw this run down building while on vacation. What caught my attention was the stack of tires on the the one side--just like you see in SW kits. As I looked closer I realized "this little crap hole's got it ALL": peeling paint, distressed wood, collapsing roof, rusting tank, coils of wire, and clutter everywhere. Even the window panes are cracked or broken per an SW construction manual! Hopefully you'll find some detail inspiration in these:

Comments

• Great pics what part of the country is this?
  • Awesome structure Bill !!!!
    A great find indeed, that sag in the roof is just perfct, (although it would never happen in the 'real' world..... blah , blah, blah)
    So many great aspects to incorporate into our modelling.
    The more you look the more you see, one thing after another.

Thanks for posting.
    Karl.A
  • edited July 2011
    Daryl- This is in Southwest Wisconsin...it's outside of a little town called Boscobel.

Karl-good call on the roof sag! When I went back to look at the sag, I noticed how the pine needles/moss seem to collect or grow in straight lines in the sags between the rafters. Also on closer inspection, I saw that the porch has a rusty metal roof and...did you spot the weeds growing in the rain gutters?:

One more to add..there was a barn on the property as well. Peeling paint, hoses, jugs, old storm windows, etc.
  • thanks for the pics Bill - looks like a detailers dream...
  • Actually , this is a good example of how most people get it wrong when they try and reproduce peeling paint on clapboard siding . What you will notice is that the paint has been worn off rather than peeled and the parts of the building that are better protected against the weather have more paint remaining. This is the way that I try to reproduce weathered sidings when I do them .
    Maybe these photos should be posted on the RRL Forum to show all those there what they should be doing rather than the "toothbrush splattered" method that they seem to have adopted .

Whoever has said that roofs don't sag like this in real life doesn't have a clue what they are talking about . There are hundreds of examples in Britain of old houses with saggy roofs that are perfectly habitable . But , of course , you know that Karl , don't you !

Nick
  • edited July 2011
    gotta love the "that doesn't happen in real life crowd"... they just like to hear themsleves talk aloud!! They need to get off their a** and go have a look around. These pictures illustrate many examples of this syndrome now called the "tdhirlc" dis-order...
  • snappy name for that syndrome . I'll have to try and remember it . What does the "f" stand for ?
  • what "f"????
  • fartscale ??
  • Ah, yes, one of those scales that always seems to grow to fill the room...
  • what "f"????
    Well , there was an effing "f" there yesterday . It must have effed off somewhere .

• Here are a few if you don't mind me adding. Believe it or not, these are from a town in Poland.1-IMG_4077
    1-IMG_4081
    1-IMG_4083
  • Great ideas for weathering wood Jim. Love the style of those two entryways. Thanks for posting.
  • Whole lotta manna for the minds eye. Thanks for posting these pictures Bill.
  • I ran across this door in a San Antonio BBQ joint. It's half way hidden by a pillar. The waiter says it was put in strictly for decoration. I loved the details in the wood and the hardware.IMG_0871
    IMG_0872
    IMG_0873
    IMG_0874
  • Door is very cool Bryan.... but, how was the bbq?????
  • That's some serious saw banding!
  • Besides the ruff hune saw marks love the tone the light plays off the wood. Like the stain right above the latch to the right of the bolt.