visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Making the Ship look like Fresh wood

edited September 2014 in Working with Wood
I am building the Shipyard and have gotten to the ship. I would like the ship to look like new wood similar to the strip wood color before it is stained. All of the surrounding platforms and supports would be worn and weathered but not the ship structure. It seems logical to me to assemble the individual components, sand off the laser burns and then paint the assembly with Floquil earth which is what I have done in the Fine Scale kits I have built to make the castings look like wood. Is there something else I should try?

Comments

• Mitch,

When I did the Passenger Station for Essentials it says to use 90% Earth and 10% Roof Brown.

You may want to try is do the earth base colour with a bit of white to lighten it and lightly dry brush roof brown using course brush by dragging along to give it grain. Try it on the scrap laser plywood first.

Marty
  • I am a huge fan of the AK products. They are a bit pricey but they do just what they say they will. I have not tried the wood products yet and may never but can't say enough good things about the streaking products.

I've ordered from Michtoy in the past with no problems but I saw some postings elsewhere that were not favorable about them.
  • I think there is a post by Bill in his Twin Mills build on how he colored all of the fresh lumber. I would see if I could find that. Sorry I don't know the exact post but I'm sure someone on here does.
  • This may be off-topic, but I've ordered a number of items over the past few years from Michtoy and personally never had a problem. There are times I think their website lacks product details but I've liked what I've gotten.
  • Mitch,

Welcome and thank you for posting. Gosh, we'd sure enjoy seeing your work if you have the time. I for one am struggling along as The Shipyard is my first ever craftsman kit. There are sure a nice group of kind and experienced folks here.

Please continue to visit.

Respectfully,
    John
    Seattle
  • Everyone,

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I have new techniques and paints to ponder.

I do not know how unusual I am but I do not know any other model railroaders personally. The only "home" layout, if you can call it that, I have ever seen was the Franklin and South Manchester in 1989. I discovered this forum after I purchased the shipyard kit. I have been modeling in HO for more than 30 years but in isolation. I will have to do some studying on how post pictures. I only have the camera in my Droid to work with.

John,

You picked a great manufacturer to break the ice with. This is the first Sierra West kit I have built and the directions and techniques are so good that even a fist time builder will make a wonderful model as long as they are patient. I have not looked at your build but I will soon. Do I just jump in and post my picture(s) in your build? I am only building the structures now, not the diorama, as they will need to be integrated in the layout with other kits that have not been completed yet.

Mitch
  • Mitch, great to have you here and posting on the forum.
    Starting a new thread would be a great way to go, we can then follow your progress as you catch up to John and follow your build as it progresses.

Many of us only build the structures, or into dioramas, this is a terrific way to focus on the scene and the kits, incorporating them later is an easy option.

Bill posted some excellent and easy to follow directions on how to post pictures in his tutorial threads. The process is very easy to follow with Bills direction.

We look forward to following your progress.

Karl.A
  • edited September 2014
    Mitch,

Again, thank you for joining us. We are pleased and proud that you have chosen to do so. This is a small and as you can see by their work a select group. I have read the forum from day one to present and not found an unkind word.

You would be very welcome to join my amateur effort of a thread. Karl's suggestion for a new thread would be an excellent choice to separate your experienced work from my slow and learning effort. My postings have been intended to be tiny steps to see if one of the wizards can head me off from an error with long term consequences.

Please become a familiar voice, face and poster amongst us . . . .

By the way, as a native new Englander and an owner/live aboard wood boat owner for ten years I am wholly in your camp for building lumber looking freshly cut.

Respectfully,
    John
    Seattle
  • Bill's method for fresh cut wood looks like the ticketI had forgot what an amazing diorama that is.
  • James,

I would agree if were regular strip wood but this is a combination of plywood and mat board. Both need a base coat of something to look like fresh wood then the grain added on top of that. In looking at my various paints and comparing them to a board the best base coat match seems to be Polly Scale aged white. In experimenting with some scrap of each type of material using Liquitex thick body raw sienna on a brush dipped in water seems to leave a convincing grain on the surface.

I put the ribs together in my excitement to see how this would look and covered up all the numbers I did not realize were there. I tried figuring out where everything went but could not get it right. Brett is sending me the sequence of ribs so I can get it assembled. Hope to post a picture if I get something that looks half way decent.

Mitch
  • Mitch,

I did the same thing with the ribs, it took me about 3 hours to figure it out.

If I remember the grain in the ribs goes across the ribs rather than along the ribs. A heavier base coat sanded down might be the way. I've hear that colour gesso could do it.

Marty
  • Marty,

I do have gesso. I will experiment again to see what works. Thank you for the suggestion.

Mitch
  • Hi Mitch,

I don't know if this information will be of use but Dr. Ben's offers a paint/stain that is called "Basswood" which looks just like . . . basswood. It is an alcohol based product that dried quickly and doesn't (in my experience) cause any swelling like water base products can. I think the color used alone would be too light but would make for a good base coat. Then using Bill's method of adding color with chalks would really look spectacular. I've used this product on plastic pieces such as doors and windows (Grandt Line & such) and then colored them with chalks just as I would real wood pieces.
  • Ah , right - plywood - d'uh. Of course ...
  • The aged white has proven to be a good base coat but I imagine some other off white or tan, depending on your taste, would work. The full strength pigment is just too hard to control on the small ribs. However, the powdered chalk and alcohol method seems to give me the results I am looking for. With some scratching on the ribs to highlight some areas to simulate grain it helps with the overall effect. To me, the results are similar to Bill's from his sawmill build.

I must complete all the ribs, the keel and then assemble everything once I get the rib pattern in the mail. I will try to post some pictures in the future of the ship and the other buildings I have completed from this kit.

Mitch
  • Yes, if you have the time, please give us some progress pictures to show how you are doing it Mitch.
    Respectfully,
    John
  • Mitch, just wanted to welcome you here and let you know I was following. The issue at hand is well above my pay grade! looks like you received some good advise and a solid base to start with. Keep us posted. Ken
  • This is a sizing test.

• Size looks great, as does the modeling !

Colour of the siding, and everything else looks superb and your "SHIPYARD" sign turned out perfect.

Really nice so far,

Karl.A

• Mitch,

It does look great! I love how each build of the Shipyard is different yet similar. The red roof and its patches really bring a different perspective. And the wood colour is in the sun is super.

Marty
  • Beautiful job! Colors look great and are weathered and blended just right.
  • I would like to thank everyone for their encouragement. The pictures were taken in my basement under cool white fluorescents. I was experimenting to see if the photos would be the right size when I sent them. I have not finished the ship yet but hope to be working on it soon and now I feel I can post some pictures when I have something worth sharing.

Mitch
  • Whaat??? Worth sharing?....your work here looks fantastic and looks to me like it was worth sharing from the first board! Great job and glad you decided to post...

This should get John fired up to get some work done! Just messin with you John.

Ken
  • Mitch,

Yes, the colors are great. I wish I had seen them sooner for my own guidance.

Ken, I am working on the warehouse roof now and into the start of the office. I leave town for a week on Sunday.

Respectfully,
    John
  • This is what the wood looks like painted Polly Scale aged white.

This wood is scribed and then it is stained with alcohol and pastels. 231.3 gold ochre and 234.3 raw sienna are used.

I have found it difficult to photograph this assembly.

Mitch
  • Mitch, I would say you have the color nailed. Please continue detailing for us what you are doing.

Respectfully,
    John
  • Great job on the ship.