visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

New product requests/ re-release pleadings...

Seems to me requests for new castings or new kits should have their own thread rather than being buried in a thread on website tweaks.

For example, the reference to the Deer Creek Box Factory (http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/Mill/mill.shtml) sounds like a great idea though I'd rather see it concentrate on crates and barrels (Brett is probably sick of hearing about this idea) with a side facility for forging and installing barrel bands, etc.

Comments

• thanks for this thread mike - perfect! i will simply ignore the box factory comment for now.... we will talk about that later... hah!
  • HO Scale Sawmill Machinery Sets are available for a few weeks as requested...

http://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/ckits/ckits.shtml

scroll to the bottom of the page.
  • I ordered mine! Thanks for offering the sawmill machinery sets again. I must have missed it first time.....
    ed
  • How about The Railroad Camp in O Scale ? Or even a shingle mill in O Scale ?

Nick
  • Interesting ideas indeed Nick.......

Karl.A
  • Oh yes , silly me . I really must pay more attention in class .

Nick
    Hey I asked for the "Shingle Mill" first!!!!

Jerry

• Get in line....
  • And if you factor in possible interest in an HO version the line gets even longer.

Nick

Hey I asked for the "Shingle Mill" first!!!!

Jerry

Well , Jerry , me Old Mucker , you can have the one before me . Only if you have finished all you other projects by then ,

Nick

• Given Brett's posting elsewhere saying he doesn't like their look modeled, I guess the challenge is to find a wigwam/teepee burner he would find so irresistable he'd try making his own model:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=teepee+burner&m=text
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=wigwam+burner&m=text

Just think of the the fun you'd have rusting one of these... They are still a somewhat common sight in certain parts of the country where logging is a major industry.
  • there is no question the real thing is very cool... but i have never liked the look in a model. the old evergreen brass kits looked pretty good but they were over $100 in the 70's and would be cost prohibitive today... i have though about laser cutting the superstructure but it would be too time consuming to work the laser files out properly... and then not all of my customers would be able to utilize them so i am not sure how many i could even sell.
  • Given Brett's posting elsewhere saying he doesn't like their look modeled, I guess the challenge is to find a wigwam/teepee burner he would find so irresistable he'd try making his own model:
    OK, I'm confused, how did a convo about shingle mills get an unrelated response pertaining to wigwam burners..... I must have missed a post somewhere, but I cant see the connection.

Still a common sight in logging areas today maybe, although, unused since the mid to late fifties when they were closed down due to environmental legislation and federal law.

This is why they are rusty now, 60-70 years after they went out of service.

When in use, I'm sure they looked much different, so, rusting one of these would be great fun indeed, if, you were modelling the modern era.

Back when they were 'new' and in use I suspect there would be little to no rust.

Similar situation to corrugated roofs, yeah they look old and rusted out now on an 80 year old barn, but, back in the day, 10 years after it was built, I'm sure it was still in pretty good shape with minor rusting around the edges at most.

They built things to last back then, not the "throw away" society we live in today.

Karl.A

• This got put into this thread because it is titled "New product requests/ re-release pleadings..." and I figured that requesting Brett consider a burner kit to be a new product request...
  • edited June 2011
    Ah , thanks Mike, makes perfect sense. Just couldnt see it last night.

Karl.A
  • Karl, talking about rusting out things, I heard a movie director say, in response to the buildings looking old when it was a period movie and the buildings would be actually new, that it's a trick they do because it looks better in the movie. Now a whole discussion about "to weather or not" should probably be in a different thread but I just thought I'd mention it because I heard that recently and then read your comments and it reminded me ... :-)
  • Thanks Mike for the great links to the pictures of the burner. I'll be returning to the posting on down the road when I do my sawmill build. I for sure want a burner and these are great references.
  • Hi Brett, how about a logging arch to go behind the D8
  • Hi Brett, I agree with several guys who want a shingle mill. Would be an asset to the saw mill complex. Also, I would like to see Brett rerelease the 2 trucks again. I missed them the first time and hope to be able to get them, sometime. I ordered the Rigging Shed to be working on a kit until the sawmill arrives.
    Moose Creek RR
  • I have a logging arch to go with the CAT - just finding the time to make molds and build the pilot model.... not easy!

A shingle mill is in the works - the machinery is very unique and Karl has been researching and mocking up the cast of characters in styrene. This will be a real shingle mill! Info on the kit is still a ways off. The Mack trucks will eventually be released again, just need to make a new mold set.
  • A shingle mill in HO would not go unnoticed...
  • Hey Brett, don't forget the 0 scale AH&D hoist!
  • HO Scale Shingle Mill is a very probable future kit....

AH&D Hoist engines are on the very short list of near term projects...
  • How about doing a nice 1/35th scale European brick building ? ! You know you want to .
  • that sounds enticing! I will leave the Cold War era East German Brick Building modeling to the expert....
  • I am not 100% sure of the kit name but I saw it on ebay one time. I think it was called the Eureka Springs Boiler or something similar. It was a little boiler in a wooden framed shed. Small kit and looked like fun to build. I guess I am not 100% sure if it was a Sierra West kit or not. Anyone familiar with this little kit? That would make a neat re-release.

Jason
  • That sounds like one of Brett's "mini dio's" or whatever he called them. I didnt even know they existed until very recently when I saw Brett's originals.

They are really cool little scenes by themselves and would make great additions to any larger diorama or layout area. I'll leave it to Brett to answer about a possible re-release as they were also mentioned previously.

Karl.A
  • This was the Eureka Springs Boiler House, mini-scene #8083. I'm attempting to attach some pictures copied from the printed instructions that came with the kit. Personally I found the mini-scenes a great idea and good practice.imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • that's the one... may do future small scene's but no re-release on the old one's...