visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#308 SierraWest O scale Sawmill Project ..... Karl.A

Comments

• edited June 2014
    Time to move forward and start getting some of the castings started.

There are some amazing castings in this kit (as with all SierraWest kits).

One of the casting innovations is the combination of cluster castings such as these below, and the extensive use of individual items (to be shown later)to create incredible, realistic detailing.

The castings below will primarily be used on the shelves in the 'store room'. Because this will be a low visibility area the use of these castings is perfect. They aid the modeler in creating a highly detailed scene while simplifying the process in an 'out of the way' area.

Extra time can then be spent on the individual items and extreme realism for the castings which will be placed in highly visible areas and up front.

As shown earlier in the thread, below is only a tiny sample of the castings included in the kit. I will be working on the castings a few at a time throughout the remainder of the build.

Castings spray primed with rustoleum khaki.

Onto the chalk colouring.

Karl.A
  • The walls look good. The framing is very precise. It's not always easy to cut them on a template to fit that way.
  • Thank you Bryan.

Karl.A
  • edited June 2014

Karl.A
  • Hi Karl,
    Absolutely an amazing kit. I am really enjoying looking at the pictures bryan and yourself are posting for all of us to marvel at. The amount of detail is superb and your building techniques are impecable. I am certainly aspiring to get to the level of building you are doing. Looking foward to more!
    Jim
  • Thanks Jim, it is indeed an amazing kit.

Time to take a break from the yard work and work on a few more of the castings.

Karl.A

Karl.A

Karl.A

Karl.A
  • edited June 2014
    Karl, you are a man of energy! Thank you for showing the detailing . . .

Respectfully,
    John
  • Thanks John...

Moving on to a few of the more intricate details.
    Most of the empty spaces on some of the benches and cabinets will be filled with individual details later.

Progress...

Such an amazing collection of details already and still plenty more to do..

Karl.A
  • Karl,

You are truly an artist. Only if you could bottle it up and sell it. Oh, wait maybe you could...

Marty
  • Nice job on the details
  • Castings look fantastic as always Karl.
  • Karl, how about doing a video or two on painting a casting? It would give a chance to look over your should while you do your work. You don't have to talk and we promise not to interrupt you. I wonder how many more castings in our kits would look better?

Just an idea.

Marty
  • Looking great Karl. I have to admit finishing castings is not my favorite part of kit building, but is absolutely mandatory to be done correctly (like yours). It's all in the details...Joe CCCModOn30
  • Beautiful Karl. How about showing us one of your screw ups sometime so we know you are human.

Keep up the good work my friend.
  • It's pretty obvious Karl NEVER screws up and is most likely an alien...
  • It's pretty obvious Karl NEVER screws up and is most likely an alien...
    HAHA. Brett I think you are right. His modelling is out of this world.

• Thanks for all the great comments guys, they are really appreciated. I should be getting back to some more progress over the weekend.

Karl.A

• Yes Karl your doing a exceptional job on this model.

Jerry
  • Thanks Jerry, great to hear from you. Call me soon!
    As always I'm just following the instructions.

Karl.A
  • Hey Karl
    looking fantastic, really enjoying watching this grow.
    cheers
    Dave
  • Thanks Dave.
  • Oh boy, Karl, wonderful. There are so many pieces that are a great reference on "how to do it". Thank you for the pictures and comments.

Respectfully,
    John
  • how did this movie end?
  • Thanks for your interest and pulling this thread back up Kevin.....

Actually it never ended, its still sitting on my "almost but not finished yet" shelf..

After a couple of years of not modelling I'm not ready to go back to it yet, but,
    my woodcutters shack thread will hopefully get a re-appearance in the very near future,
    just a few details and the scenery to do on that one to pull it all together and move it to the "finished" shelf.

After that, who knows....

Karl.A
  • I don't mean to pry, but you are such a great modeler, I hope that whatever caused you to stop has passed, and you will be able to get back into it soon.

Mike S.
  • Here, Here!
  • Sure would be nice to see you back at it again!

Jerry