visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

#308 SierraWest O scale Sawmill Project ..... Karl.A

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Thanks Joe, the layers of the kits design are starting to build on eachother and show what a masterpiece this is.

Marty, the wall frames all used wood glue in their construction and were then epoxied to the main floor. Because the construction of the walls themselves follow the prototype structure they are very stable and strong. In the model world epoxying them to the floor creates an extremely rigid structure when they are all connected together.

Thanks Brian, I wanted a woody colour for the interior, the greyer sunbleached tones will show more on the exterior components. There was no need for pins or extra stability, the structure is very strong.

Thanks Scott... make room!

Bryan, yes it will be lit, I have already mocked up the trusses and determined how the wiring will be hidden and how the lights will be realistically hung. You may have to wait a week or two to see it, but, the structure has been lit, the plans laid and the tests fully completed...... The structure needs to be shafted and detailed before we can get to the final install of the lights though.

Talking of shafting.... that will be my next update. Thanks again to you all for your comments.

Karl.A
  • Karl thanks for going into such good detail as to how all the machinery all links together. It will be most helpful when I get to that stage (in the far distant future) and have to install all that machinery.

Please do not hold back on the details of how you install your lighting as it will make a huge impact on the mills appearance by highlighting all the interior detail that Brett has put into the kit.
  • Oh my gosh, it's really coming to life now Karl!

Respectfully,
    John
  • Using the full sized templates I cut all the shafts for the overhead drive system. I then blackened all of the required pillow blocks in preparation for the install.

I laid out all of the shafts and blocks in their respective positions to make sure I hadn't missed any or made any mistakes. Some shafts are still a bit long at this point and have not been cut to final length.

The manual explains a great technique using reversed clothes pins to hold the shafts in their final position below the headers.

Using the clothes pins and a square as described in the manual ensures that everything lines up perfectly, both with the machinery and each other. A great and hassle free method.

The pillow blocks were then epoxied and clamped in place and left to dry. Even though I used 5min epoxy I left it for a good two hours before 'fiddling' with anything.

The first four pics are pretty accurate of true colour incidentally.

Karl.A

• Karl,

You are just moving along so quickly. I guess it shows how good the kit and construction manual is; or how very talented you are.

Marty
  • Thanks Marty much appreciated. I would say both, the kit and construction manual are exceptional, and I guess I do have some talent.
    As for the 'speed', keep in mind these are 'recap' photos, I'm not posting "as it happens", yet.
    Very shortly though the pics will have caught up to where I actually am.

Karl.A

• excellent progress.
  • Beautiful Karl . . .

John
  • Incredible work Karl.
  • Looks great !
  • Thanks for posting guys, the comments keep me motivated and wanting to spend the time to show more, they are greatly appreciated.

Karl.A
  • Your usual beautiful work. Thank-you for the pics and words.
  • I'm curious if you have figured out your approach on the lights. How to mount and how to hide the wires.
  • Karl what can I say. Beautiful work. And your wording on how you do it exceptional.

Jerry
  • Making great progress Karl.

Great shots of the line shaft install, I might offer to put out the next load of washing so I can pocket a few pegs
  • Looks perfect from my side of the pond Karl.
  • I looked at the pins (clothes) and it took me awhile to figure out what I was looking at. I spent the next few minutes reversing a hand full of pins for my use. I had always used them the "correct" way with not much luck. They work Grrrreat this way. Thanks for the Pictorial tip,
  • edited June 2014
    Thanks for the great comments Alan, Jerry, Stuart and Wes. They will come in very useful Wayne in many situations.

Yes Bryan I have the lighting figured out and have built a mock up to check it works.

The next step was installing the shafts, wheels and belts. This was one of the moments in my build that gave me a "wow" feeling. After a few hours modelling following the instructions you lean back and look at where those steps led.

And then I just sat back and smiled....

Onto the maintenance shed, storage room and sawdust bin.

Karl.A
  • You can almost hear the gears turning and the belts flapping. Nice work !
  • What a huge difference the line shafts make to the appearance.

This project just gets better with every new step.

Keep up the great work.
  • Watching you build this kit is just amazing. Your photos are terrific and will certainly help us modelers who will build this kit....Joe CCCModOn30
  • One word comes to mind. Exceptional!!!!

Jerry
  • Karl, of course you smiled, that's one fantastic piece of work my man! The line shafts and belt treatment are suburb. This is one monumental kit you and Brett developed, it oozes quality and craftsmanship. Can't wait to see more and what a treat to see other quality builds of this kit going on at the same time....
  • Tempting, very tempting.
  • Marty, I can't keep up with your modeling pace as it is...now the Sawmill? Hard not to get hooked on this one!
  • Very impressive. I've been thinking about the differences of working on this model planted as mine is or loose as yours is. I've come to the conclusion that I would be scared to death working on it loose. It's very large and heavy I can just see it cracking in half any time it gets moved.
  • Ive seen better. Nooooooooot.

Beautiful fantastic realistic stunning work Karl. WOW
  • Thanks for all the great comments and compliments everyone they are greatly appreciated.
    Come on Marty, join in. I've said it before and i'll say it again, this kit makes an incredible stand alone diorama to show off if you are a HO guy.

Indeed Bryan a lot of care is being taken. It is sitting loose on a piece of blue foam so it is not too bad in the scope of things.

Thanks again, guys,

Karl.A
  • This would be a lot of work and overkill on details, but, would the rafters, joists and such be held together by "t-brackets" (simpson strong ties) ? I have always tried to make some and put them on other projects when the look is needed. Or just long lag bolts thru the wood beams to hold together. I am just wondering if it would be worth it or too much little detail to work with.
  • Finished the basic construction of the walls for the storage room and maintenance area.
    (not glued in yet)

Karl.A