visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Welcome to Jerkwater

Comments

• Looks really nice !!!
  • Thanks guys.

Muddy, I tried out 2 different sizes of styrene .020 & .030. In person the .030 looks better, but in the pics it looks a bit oversized. Oh well. To get the bends around the end of the swing arm, I used a heat gun and slowly bent it. I don't use this material often, but it worked for this project. Now that crooked angled piece on the swing arm is bothering me. Must have knocked it when I set it aside to dry.

On to the station, AKA the Woodcutter Shack. I have a few variations on this build. It will be board and batten construction with a partial interior. Not sure about roof type yet but the green tarpaper from the Chama station looks interesting. Hope to get a little bit done today then I'm traveling for work for the next 10 days.
  • Nifty little scratch build. Look forward to seeing it integrated into the work flow.
  • Looking fantastic Bryan, the finish on the hoist is particularly nice.
  • I have a supply of styrene...I will pull it out and try it out more.....I like the cardstock as it colors well...bends easily, and I think the thickness is about right....and it glues to the wood with wood glue....but I'm going to play with the styrene too....I have some free time as I'm waiting for some paint, and glue to set up....
  • I agree with you on the card Art. It can give a good solution sometimes.
  • Great ideas shared on this Bryan. Thanks for the tips. I always was curious how water slide decals would end up looking. Now I know. Perfect.
  • Fantastic additions, cannot wait to see more!
  • This is why this forum is so important....ideas shared.....mistakes shared.....and repaired.....different ways to do detailing and weathering....it makes everyone a better modeler....
  • I agree Muddy. I've learned so much from the fine modelers here.

Last update for a couple weeks. I'll be in FL for a while. Not a bad place to travel but the meeting schedule sucks. I'll barely see the outside of a conference room.

The siding for the station is on. I considered doing the siding like Kevin O'Neill started on his last build because I liked that look. In the end I'm going with board and batten and will paint to match the water tank. I'm going to do the mineral spirit resist and will paint the battens and walls seperately so I can get a nice paint peel on the walls and then add the battens.

As mentioned earlier, there will be a partial interior and I'm going to cover the studs with some stiff cardstock (Muddy) then paint to give a finished look. Still undecided on roof.
    IMG_0795
  • By the way, the blue and green patches there are a test I've been doing to simulate an oil spill on water. I used this chameleon paint from Greenstuff. I don't think it's going to work. Looks too sparkly on my test water.
  • Wonderful work! And a great story to go with it.

Jerry
  • Ahhhh....cardstock as wallboard / plaster......I like that.....I've done one with real plaster to simulate paster and lathe for a clinic.....But....this info stored away for a future build...Like the tone on the walls.....and the board and batten concept....Safe Travels and go visit the Mouse.....raise my stock some....lol
  • Peeled board & batten is going to look so good Bryan, great thinking.
  • Great start on the wood work Bryan.
  • Dont get too sleepy in those meetings. I will be looking for the updates buddy!
  • Love the color and perfect variation...
  • Wall coloration and variation is very nice.
  • Thanks guys. Started the peeling paint process today. Mineral spirit resist.
    IMG_0817
  • Made some more progress on the walls inside and out. The "plaster" is black construction paper with several coats of thick paint. Gives a nice texture. I have some ideas for weathering it.
    IMG_0407
  • Taking a peek through the door to figure out placement of things inside. I'm thinking a desk and chair, heater, pile of clutter would look right at home. Couple pictures on the wall, maybe the dirty outline of where a picture used to be and some water stains on the wall.IMG_0408
  • I dig the look of the plaster walls.....I am inspired....
  • Plaster walls are really cool. Another great idea sir!!
  • Great work Bryan and I agree on the nifty idea of plaster walls and your unique colors.
  • Thanks guys. It's fun to try different things. I think this wall is good to go other than some window coverings. I dug into my wild west poster stash.

IMG_0822
  • I'm with ya on the "trying new things"...love the posters and the split colored walls.
  • Plaster walls look great!
  • Thanks Ken and Mike.

All of the main structures have the walls up. I wanted to get to this point to start to play around with the layout of the dio. There are 2 options as I see it (other perspectives welcome). Total footprint is going to end up around 12x24 and the track will come in at an angle leaving more real estate for other stuff.

Option 1 is to have all of the service facilities on the far side of the track with the station on the near side. This placement makes some sense but the backside of the station is not as interesting, though it will make for a more interesting view from the backside of the dio.

Option 2 is to move the station next to the water tower with sand/fuel on the near side. Better view of the station from the front and will give more depth.

The oil tank that comes with the Woodcutter shack will go in the same location as the sand (no matter which side) as will a small bunker of coal, a cord or so of wood, and a gas pump...can't have too many options when it comes to fuel in a place like Jerkwater, right?

The 6 pole open shed from Woodcutter will be a work area for the handcarts. Will either go between tank and workshed, or behind the workshed. I'd also like to add a tree or 2 in the background...perhaps with an abandoned vehicle overgrown with weeds/vines.

I think it's time to circle back on the castings while I ponder this.

IMG_0409
    IMG_0412
    IMG_0414
  • I like Option #1 with all the service facilities on the opposite side of the station. That's the good thing about Brett's kits...they look fantastic and extremely detailed from any side or angle!
  • I like the interior walls with the divided colors. To my eye it needs frames around the windows, and perhaps baseboard. Just a suggestion. Otherwise it looks good.