visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Clear Expoxy

edited February 2014 in Tools and Supplies
Well it has happened, the two tubes of LePage of 5 minute epoxy i bought 30 years ago has run out and it is time to replace it. What is the best epoxy that sets in 5 minutes, is thick and dries clear?

I bought some Gorilla epoxy, but it seems to be very thin and takes 24 hours to set. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Marty

Comments

• Marty, seems to be a lull in activity so I'll chime in here. Any 5 minute Epoxy will work great and they are the two part (resin & hardener). You for sure don't want the stuff that takes as long as you describe for the Gorilla epoxy. I use a 6 minute epoxy from Great Planes that works great and seems to have a great shelf life once opened, just make sure you keep the caps on. I only got this brand as I got a good price on line and got several.
    Ken
  • edited February 2014
    Marty,
    I use the 5min epoxy from home depot found in the paint aisle. Generally I leave things for 30min to get a good bond.

Karl.A
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks Ken and Karl for your comments. I like the bottle idea better than the syringes most comes in.

I think i found similar stuff here in canada, now to see if they have it in stock.

Marty

• Marty, yup..should work to perfection. Most are 50/50 resin and hardener. Put an appropriate blob of each side-by-side of equal size and mix well with a tooth pick. Remember to pick off any ooze before it completely dries, when it's still just a bit soft but not sticky. Karl.......
    Ken
  • I got some today ($22) and tried a few tests and I like the consistency of it. When I turned the bottle around it said it was imported from Henkel USA . When I searched their web site I found out they also make Loctite. (http://www.henkelna.com/adhesives/craftsmen-construction-336.htm).

Thanks for the help.
  • That doesn't surprise me Ojaste, as soon as I saw your picture I thought it looked like the Loctite bottles, but with different words, very similar colours and design though. As I said, even though it says five minutes I still walk away and do something else for atleast 30 before 'fiddling' with the joined parts.

Hope it works out for you,

Karl.A
  • edited February 2014
    You covered it all nicely Ken, there's nothing that I could add.

Karl.A
  • I bought the same product with the Loctite branding on Amazon. I got five minute and 1 hour offerings.