visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Lineside maintenance and supply facility....AKA....my build of Kit #315.....

Comments

• Walls look great Art, really nice colouring and variation in the boards. I definitely think you achieved your goal of the boards being aged but not neglected. Your colour shows some age without it looking abandoned.
    Very nicely done.
    An impressive shot of the castings indeed, monumental is the word, hopefully you'll be having fun at the show and we look forward to seeing any of your progress on the details.
  • Working on the windows tomorrow.....
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Karl....might booger up a board or six....but I don't want to do all that work...then have a pallet, shelf or tank covering it up...I also add some additional graining later with a #11 blade....
  • edited October 2022
    Good thinking Art, better to spend that extra time giving more attention to specific things that will obviously be seen.
    You'll know/have seen I did the same on my build, the basic generic aging/weathering throughout is done on all areas so that it all blends, subtle 'specialties' can sometimes be reserved for highly visible areas.
  • Wonderful progress Art. Really miss not having any shows to attend so I’m living vicariously through your Post!
  • Art, good to see both sides of your walls. Colors look good and the black tissue paper worked. Please keep posting your updates. Randy
  • Great progress! Looks good. Impressive amount of details. That's where all the fun begins.
  • No photos tonight....busy day with people setting all kinds of stuff on fire....was just doing some priming of some details tonight....not too happy with the initial results of the Krylon Camo Tan ultra flat...going to let it dry and cure overnight to see what it looks like....need to find the Rustoleum Camo's.....
  • I think the rail pedicycle will look right at home here. I may have one laying around also so now I'm thinking.
  • edited October 2022
    SW water tank details painted
    Details all primed up and ready for painting and chalk work. The kits details are in the front containers....the stuff in the back is my stash of Bretts other 3D stuff....a few of those are going into the mix of this kit and module. And yes...that is the base of the water tank off to the side....I couldn't wait to assemble it.....slightly out of sequence....but I'll have some time to start painting the stonework this weekend....so
  • Great start and yeah, sometimes dessert before dinner is awesome!
  • Couldn't help myself...I love stonework....just gluing in the braces as I type....
  • Couldn't help myself...I love stonework....just gluing in the braces as I type....

Yeah, Karl is the stone/brick master master...
  • Art,

Great start. I will be following your build with interest and anticipation.

Admin said, " sometimes dessert before dinner is awesome." Got that right Brett. It is like the kid coming out of us once we get a new kit. Sometimes you just have to have dessert first.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

• The Krylon khaki actually worked out....wasn't sure when I layed it down as it looked thick. Along the advice that Karl put out...it is a good idea to never try and spray below 55 degrees....my shop is a steady 65 during the entire year between AC and heat running. As has been alluded to...I went out of sequence with the build....I jumped ahead to the block tank structure as I will have time to play with the painting of the blocks this weekend.....photos on maybe Monday of that.....
  • Working on the windows tonight....
  • edited October 2022
    Not much done tonight....window frames done.....stone structure glued together and primed....
  • walls look excellent!
  • Once I get the shelves and details done...and the interiors of the walls done....I can mock up the shed and figure out what parts of the wall need extra detail...
  • Making nice progress. Walls are nicely done.
  • Looking great Art, I'm enjoying following along with your progress and narrative.
    The walls look great so far.
  • Was going to do the windows too...'cept I can't find my Dullcoat...
  • At a On30 show in the Catskills, painting and weathering details with fellow modelers...spreading the skills to others...SW On30 show
  • Looking good Art, spreading the joy...

pick up some dulcote while you're there...
  • Looking good Art, Hope you are having fun.
  • No one has any...going to try some artists matte medium on it and see what goes...
  • Walls look great Art. Really nice seeing you giving back some of your skills at the show. I'm sure it was appreciated by the folks there.
  • edited October 2022
    Thanks Ken...I still have some more toning to do with the chalks.....There was a guy there that just acquired an O Sawmill......spent some time there talking wood coloring and details......He was looking at using a bottled stain...and I've done that a few times for some stuff...but sent him down the path of different tones and why the chalk method gives you that ability....I saw one done at a show in Massachusetts and it was all in a medium brown, not graining, no other details....and it made me sad....
  • Today....Stone work.....photo later.....