visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Where do I place my order for this coffee table book?????

great question
  • Soooooooo we'll done. I guess my OCD is showing. I want to take a scrub brush and some bleach to that nasty old sink, hah!
  • Thanks Brett…that is such a nice detail to work with!
  • Quick question Ken. What material did you use for the rag on the sink? I tried using a thin piece of tissue paper last night for the rag in my scene but am not sure if that was the best to work with. Thanks.
  • Ken, that's something you need to add to the scene, cleaning supplies for the sink!
  • Hey Steve, thanks for the question. I like to use tissue paper as well, but there are two types I use. The first is the classic tissue paper you use on a runny nose, for the lack of a better way to describe it! But lately, I have been using the type of tissue paper you get from grandma's ugly tie Christmas present. It needs to be the thin stuff. This paper takes paint really well and can fold to a good scale flatness or be wadded up and then flattened to give it some body and texture. It is also very durable and doesn't fall apart when using water based paint on it like some classic tissues. Everyone has their favorite material so this is just what I use.

Tom/Carl, I thought about more "stuff" and a mirror but decided to move on as this wall will hardly show when it's put in place, which I have thusly done! Sound wisdom though on the ideas...
  • Radio.?????????
  • Looks perfect the way it is, raw and utilitarian, like a sink in a workshop area should be.
  • Appreciate that Karl...I like your reasoning...you always have your "ear to the rail"
  • Sometimes less is more!
  • edited September 2022
    Have made some good progress on Shelby's main structure. The last remaining wall was glued in place. The sub-roof has been installed with some modifications as explained in the following:

Brett designed the roof of Shelbys utilizing approx. 2.0mm thick wood sheet. Tar paper was then to be added and once attached the ends of the tar were to be folded over the edges of the roof wood. The design was to not have rafter tails.

I decided to provide my model with the look of real rafter tails without completely outfitting the roof with real rafters as I did on the Bait & Tackle Shop. Shelby's main is much larger and much more roof! The problem I was faced with was how to have the overhang, rafters, and sheathing of scale thickness utilizing the existing 2.0mm solid wood pieces (see photo #1.)

IMG_4444

(photo #1) 2.0mm thick roof stock, way too thick for overhang and added rafter tails.

I placed the stock roof pieces on the roof and marked with a pencil, on the underside, the amount of originally designed overhang. I then cut that amount off the length of the stock roof piece. I then laid the roof piece top side down and butted a piece of scale 1 x 10 stripwood up against the edge of the roof piece and glued in all the rafter tails spaced a scale 24" (see photo #2 & #3). The roof piece, once glued on, would have just the modified portion showing as overhang. This creates the appearance of in scale rafter tails and sub roof.

IMG_4446

(photo #2) Note the in scale thin roof sheathing over the rafter tails.

IMG_4442

(photo #3) This in scale sheathing and rafter tails gave me the look I wanted and allows for putting in some damaged areas as the thin stripwood is easily modified to show this.

Illustrated below is the end result:

IMG_4479

Note how this gives the illusion that the entire roof sheathing is a scale thickness.

IMG_4468

Back side of Shelby's. I added the gable vent for added visual interest.

IMG_4485
  • I like the 1x10 strip wood idea. Seems like a more secure situation for rafter tails. And you can build it as one subassembly and then glue it to the roof edge.
  • Well that worked out
  • boy howdy!
    [does this mean we have to do this on all roofs going forward?]
  • Yeah seemed to work OK
  • Nice solution. I've always thought roof overhangs were out of scale, and this is a creative solution. The eave treatment with boards is a nice feature as well.
  • Tom, the eave detail with the boards is the scribed wood roof pieces included in the kit.
  • There a guy over on the Modeler's Forum that uses this as his signature! Bob Butts is his name goes by Reading Bob.

This might fit here Ken "There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness".

In your case it's a wonderful 17 pages of how to do it the right way!!

Jerry
  • Hey Thanks Jerry!....I think?...:) I believe I met Bob at one of our counseling sessions!

• Ken…. I certainly enjoy following your “thinking outside the box”
    Terry
  • Sweet lord Ken. That looks fabulous. I really like what you did with the roof. It’s so nice to see this come together now. I for one can’t wait to see your next steps. There’s somehow always a little surprise to look forward to. Stellar job!
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks Terry.

Nice hearing from you Jeroen. Appreciate your thoughts. I have various details to add to the exterior of the structure that will be much easier to do while it’s a stand alone and not attached to a diorama base. Have to build the side stair and landing assembly, cover the roof with tar paper and roof stacks, exterior plumbing, electrical service, a couple of windows, and some other minor things. A funny note…not sure the reason for outside door handles on a door that can only be opened and closed from the inside! That was my doing and think I’ll leave it just for conversation…ha.
  • Ken I can't stand it when the english language is inadequate to describe the superlative nature of something. And here we are... what fantastic detailing. That interior is stunning. This is likely your best work and THAT is saying something. So much to take in and enjoy. Thanks for sharing.
  • Hey Joel, so nice hearing from you as always! Hope all is well up north. I really appreciate your comments here and coming from you means a great deal my friend. Keep in touch...
  • Sorry Ken, my thesaurus ran out of descriptors. Have to start over with EXCELLENT!!
  • Hey I’ll take that Emery! Thanks much and nice hearing from you.
  • After too much time away from modeling, I just caught up with your thread. Others have already expressed the ingenuity and artistic detail you created with the overhang. I don't think most of us could achieve in Fn3 what you create in HO. Thank you for the inspiration that you continue to provide all of this forum. I'm excited to see this build progress. Thanks Ken!
  • Hi Steve and nice hearing from you. I appreciate your take on the project and comments as yours are a great motivator to keep my nose to the bench!
  • Whilst waiting for glue to dry, thought I'd provide a quick addition to the rafter tail process I described and the detailing opportunities it provides. The thin to scale sheathing over the rafter tails allows for rot and damage detail to be added as desired. This serves to break up the roof line and gives added visual interest.

IMG_4510

This type of damage is being done before the roof material is applied which provides a map for the roof material to follow.