visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

not the sharpest Tool in the Shed

I cleaned off the workbench and opened up the tool shed today. I've got a few ideas on how this will go but I'll likely make a final decision by the time the structure itself is complete.

My first thought was that I would use it as a companion structure to Blue Sky and give the Tool Shed a false front like a country store. The idea is to have a "wrong side of the track" setup with dueling gas stations since both have gas pumps, cola wars (Coke vs Pepsi) and a reference to old man Shelby's cousin Shep. Could have a lot of hidden jokes in it which I like.

Second thought is to have a small footprint diorama and keep the false front (Marty Jones did a version of this years ago). Footprint could be as small as 6x8. Probably with detailed interior and a sagging roof...maybe even leaning walls. I'm leaning towards this as I have several larger dioramas and this would be a nice break from that.

Hope to start graining wood today.

Comments

• Done yet.????
  • sounds like a cool structure. could you do us a favor and when you get to the sagging roof part of the build, could you show us how it's done? i've wanted to scratch build a small abandoned structure with a sagging roof for a long time but was hesitant because wasn't able to figure out how to sag the roof.
  • Bryan,

Great idea to have competing advertisements and businesses: Pepsi vs Coke; Mobil vs Shell; Lucky Strike vs Marlboro; See Rock City vs Visit Luray Caverns. As always, I am looking forward to seeing some of your ideas revealed during the build,

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • This is gonna be good!!!!
    Terry
  • I really like the pre-planning you are doing Bryan. Regardless of what you decide, the planning is such an enjoyable part of a quality build. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • Thanks guys. No time pressure Carl.

Kevin, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the sagging roof turns out and I will post progress.

I agree Ken about the planning. I'll take Dave's comment as a vote for the big dio.

I attached siding for the false front. Brushed the grain and added a few detail then glued it on bare. I used the rafter guide to make a pattern on the back of the false front. My plan is to paint the front which is why the wood is not stained. I will eventually prime it then paint like bare wood then add a peeling paint effect.

Once this part dried I'll trim a bit long and then get everything nice and flush with the sander. Then add the trim detail around the door, side and top of wall. Then paint.
    IMG_0321
    IMG_0320
  • Now this is starting to look the way I want it to.IMG_0325
    IMG_0324
  • Nice! Can't wait to see where this is going.
  • Nice start looking forward to the painting part.

Jerry
  • Looking forward to another great build by you Bryan,
    you're off to a good start.
  • Bryan - Having just started the tool shed project, I never thought about making this a false front building. I'm really looking forward to seeing you create this take on the tool shed. I have the BlueSky in O scale and it is in the not started pile but have always loved the general store. Your idea of a competing store across the road sounds like a fun storyline. I'll add my vote to that concept. Either way, I'm looking forward to following and learning!
  • I primed the wall, door, and framing and let dry overnight. I pre-shaded a couple of areas on the back of the wall. This area will be bare wood. Gave a coat of gray wash on the back side of the wall as a test area. Once this dries I'll evaluate further. Of course, the areas that will be painted will probably not need anything more than a wash of the gray, but the bare wood may need some further treatment. For the wash I used AK Naval colors "Wash for Gray Decks".IMG_0498
  • Great stuff! I enjoy watching you take your own angle on this one. That looks very very promising!
  • edited August 2022
    Looking forward to seeing this project progress. Well done and you score a 10 on creative engineering!
  • Love where this is going!
  • What a great idea, Bryan. I can't wait to see how this turns out. it will be a great addition to the Blue Sky.
  • Thanks guys.

I put a coat of AK chipping effects on, let dry then painted. Next I'll start chipping/peeling the paint.

The backside of the false front did not turn out the way I had hoped. I'll likely revisit this area while finishing the bare wood walls. The wood under the framing will not be easily visible even with the large doors open so I will not treat this anymore.
    IMG_0503
    IMG_0502
  • Look forward to see how the chipping looks.
  • me too. i've got a bottle of that stuff and i need to learn how to use it.
  • edited August 2022
    Me too Ken. Finger crossed.

Kevin, the stuff is easy to use. I use a brush, but it would work better with an airbrush. When brushing the top paint layer, you will need to load the brush heavy with paint to get good coverage because you will not be able to work the paint onto the surface much because it will start to dissolve the chipping fluid.

I score the paint by running a #11 blade with the grain of the wood. Multiple scores where I want a lot of paint gone, few scores everywhere else. Mist with water and wait 30 seconds or so. Then take a stiff brush...I used a cheap natural bristle brush and start rubbing back and forth until the paint started to flake off. Continue until you achieve the desired result. Mist the wall to wash off debris that will begin to accumulate and dab dry with paper towel. You will want to work quickly as you don't want to glue to start to loosen while you work. When done, set it aside. Further detailing/weathering can be done when dry again.

The pics here show the same technique on a casting and the door. It is much easier to use a casting than wood for this. Keep in mind that I prepped the base wall with rattle can primer followed by enamels just for this technique. I will admit that chalks are easier for the wood, but this technique will wash the chalk off where the mineral spirit resist method will not.

IMG_0505
    IMG_0504
  • thansks bryan.
  • Now we're starting to get somewhere.

I chipped the wall and door, added some ghost paint streaks and gave a wash of a gray/blue enamel.

I'll give a drybrushing and start adding hardware before doing anything. Surely some rust streaks from the running track, a few signs, etc. I think a touch of mold/mildew on the top flat surface would be appropriate.

IMG_0509
  • Looks just great, Bryan
    Terry
  • Love it! So nasty...
  • Nice and grungy!
  • Really nicely done.
  • excellent. looks like a ken karns special.
  • Always a pleasure to watch your builds Bryan.
  • Thanks guys. Quite a compliment Kevin.

Pros and cons of this method:
    Pros: Less odor than mineral spirits. No bare edges to touch up after cutting. Can do the whole wall at once so you can weather some areas more than others.
    Cons: Don't really like priming then weathering wood wall...chalks easier to work with but they wash away with this method. Several extra steps. Easier technique on castings vs wood.

• As Kevin was saying, I also have a bottle on the shelf and have yet to try it. Thank you for showing us the way in which this is done. I know I get rather nervous about trying something like that in fear of ruining the assembly. This helps a lot!!