visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

the "official" Show off your SWSM 3D Printed details thread!

Comments

• Just fantastic Karl, in both scales. The 3D printed castings are works of art themselves and your painting / weathering brings them to their fullest potential. All are extremely well done and love the gas bottles with the chipped paint, brass valves and knobs.
    Thanks for sharing Karl and be well,
    --Paul
  • Having fun with some of the 3Ddetails.20220621_141930 Resize
    20220621_144558 Resize
    Mine aren't quite as rusty as Karl's. I take better care of mine, except when I break the bend in the little pipe running down from the top of the motor.
    20220621_142252 Resize
    20220621_142515 Resize
    20220621_142857 Resize
    20220621_142932 Resize
    20220621_143045 Resize
    Did a copper fire extinguisher just for fun. The labels are from photos of real fire extinguishers. Too small to see any detail, just wanted to add the affect of a label.
    20220621_144522 Resize
  • All you guys are doing a great job bringing these to life. Thank you for sharing. It is a real pleasure seeing all of them!
  • Oil bottles are really nice Tom! as are all those details...tubs with the junk are really well done.
  • Thanks guys It's fun for me working with these. I love the accuracy and detail of them. Here are some of the boxes I did as well. Emery as I understand it's your collaboration working with Brett to bring them to fruition. Thank you. Keep them coming!
    20220621_153046 Resize
  • edited June 2022
    What a great collection of beautifully finished details Tom.
    Really excellent work on all of those.
    Fire extinguishers look really great, I've got some here and I'm looking forward to trying some of those.
    Everything else is very well done, so glad to have you joining in the thread with your wonderful work.
    Thanks for sharing . Looking forward to more people joining in with us.
  • Fantastic job Tom. Those details are amazing and your painting job just adds to them.
  • KKarns said:

Oil bottles are really nice Tom! as are all those details...tubs with the junk are really well done.

i thought they were miller high life bottles....

• Oh crap! I think you’re right Kevin!
  • Not so great taste, but less filling!
  • Question: In the "O Scale Truck Repair 3D Printed set" there are old wooden style automotive batteries. Could one of those batteries been feasibly used to power a single or possibly two lightbulbs in a railcar?
  • Tom, great job on the details. I really like the crate of bottles and the tubs of junk.
  • Thanks Joel. I enjoy working with detail parts, and these are among the best in the industry. Can't wait to see what Brett comes out with next.
  • Hey Tom, these are awesome. How do you get the translucent look on the Miller Lite bottles?
  • No denying, great work on super details !!
  • edited August 2022
    I used to do leather work. I have some leather dye left over. I just dipped the bottle casting in a brown leather dye. Wasn't sure of it would work but pleased with the result. Then painted the caps.

I have ordered some of the new 3D oil bottles and am looking forward to seeing if the result is the same on these new bottles. They have a shine on them, which looks like glass, whereas the previous bottles had some "tooth" and accepted the dye well. We'll see what happens.
  • edited August 2022
    Some new 3D details arrived today. I couldn't wait to do the oil bottles and racks.

20220815_154013 Resize

20220815_154044 Resize
    On a previous post I had some oil bottles that I had dipped in a brown leather dye. I thought they were too orange. This time I dipped them in a mix of brown and black dye. For the bottles without caps I dipped them in the brown/black dye then in clear alcohol. This I thought gave a better empty bottle look. The leather dye is an alcohol base.
  • Wonderful job Tom. Your coloring of the bottles is really nicely done. I just received my parts order for the same details. The filigree of the parts is amazing and those thin, to scale, handles on the bottle racks are ridiculous. I got some gorgeous wagon wheels as well...Packaging for these parts is wonderful, nicely done once again SierraWest!
  • Tom - Looks like there is oil in those bottles! You've really hit upon that translucent beige/bronze quality of new motor oil. Nice work. The combination of the painted racks and oil filled bottles is a real attention grabber. These new 3D parts from Brett are raising the bar in what can be accomplished with modeling. Can't wait to receive mine.
  • Great results !!
  • i just received a small order from brett. holy shit. i got the oil drum and stand, and some oil bottles because i liked the scene on the watertower diorama and wanted the ability to duplicate it sometime. the details are incredible. i was almost afraid to touch it it's looks so delicate. i also got some oil bottles and the rack, wow. looks like it was made by a spider. i can't wait to try detailing them.
  • kebmo said:

looks like it was made by a spider

Now that's funny. Enjoy them. The parts just keep getting better and better! Very excited.
  • Starting to experiment with my newly acquired oil bottles. This is my first go at a half full bottle. Picture isn't great and I'll be working on that. Such a nice detail.

IMG_4126
  • Holy crap. Great job there.
  • Thanks Jim...Here's one with the bottle tipped...
    Sorry...didn't mention scale in the last pic, its HO scale.

IMG_4133
  • What are you using for the oil?
  • Jim M said:

Holy crap. Great job there.

agreed! superb!

• What are you using for the oil?

inquiring minds wanna know....

• SUPER !!!!
  • KKarns said:

Hey Folks, I have been working on my Eureka Springs Engine House project for some time now, and posting under that build heading. The entire interior detailing was complete at about the same time Brett started coming out with his HO Scale 3D printed detail parts. As a result, I wasn't able to incorporate many, save a few, in the interior work. However, the exterior work is being worked on now and the addition of the 3D parts is a game changer! As those that have acquired these parts can attest, they are just amazing and so easy to work with. Here are a few of the attributes of these 3D parts that I have found:

Amazing detail not possible in other mediums such as white metal or resin. Obviously this is the number one reason these parts are a game changer as I call them. This is a very important issue with HO scale. many small HO scale parts lose their detail in the casting process just due to the small size...3D printing solves this issue!...game changer is a result!

NO clean up! I'm serious, I have not picked up my #11 blade once when detailing these parts. As an example, the various highly detailed bottles come on a sprue attached at the bottom of the bottles. I will take a sprue and paint all the bottles and then just take fine nippers and cut them off as needed and plant in the scene. They are also printed in a clear "resin" to appear as glass even without a gloss paint or clear gloss color coat like Gallery Glass.

Accept paint and weathering products perfectly.

The parts that would be metal are easily detailed to appear as metal and you can't tell they aren't. Here's a problem we have all had...you detail paint and weather a white metal casting and you use your tweezers to position it in the scene. What happens? invariably a small spot of the base metal glares through from being scratched off by the tweezers or something else. Not an issue with these 3D parts.

One BIG problem...they don't have the signature SWSM Resin smell!! LOL....I can live with that as I have many resin castings in my castings collection if I need a nostalgic whiff!

Of course Brett is not doing away with resin or white metal as they all have a place in detailing the wonderful kits. Nothing can replace the patina that can be achieved by buffing certain blackened white metal castings.

I will be featuring some of the 3D parts I have detailed and incorporated into my Eureka Springs build here and will give a quick description of how I detailed each one. This will of course be how I do it, not how to do it! To start, below is a picture of part, yes part!, of my current SierraWest Scale Models 3D Printed Parts Collection...

IMG_1576

I use these compartmented see through boxes. Big advantage is I can one, see all the parts easily at once and two, carry the box to my diorama bench and study the scene I'm working on with the parts right in front of me...

Next time we'll get into detailing he parts themselves...Ken

Ken what a good idea I have the same system altho I am on a budget.P1040987