visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Drill Bits

Hey Guys,
Before I place a pricey order with McMaster Carr (my habit seems to be to go from zero to hero), does anyone have a different recommendation for the small drill bits #61-80 that are actually sharp and actually drill a hole that they are happy with. I haven't tried the Rogers branded at MicroMark / Gyros branded at Home Depot set because I worry they will also not be good and don't want to thow away my money. I have been pretty unsatisfied with some of the ones I've gotten so far (like the picture) and wondering what everyone else is using. I am debating to start building a set by ordering singles from McMaster Carr based on what I need for the application I am working on, but at $6 that gets expensive quickly. Thanks

bad drill bits

Comments

• Model EXPO
    https://modelexpo-online.com/Drills-Drill-Bits_c_216-2.html

Page 2 I think 10pcs for 3.99 there not the best but last a long while and the price is right.

Jerry
  • I have the set that you pictured. And, I have broken many of them especially sixes 71-80. Have not broken any of the sizes 60 to 70. So, I have extra dill bits in the 60 - 70 size in stock to replace the broken ones. Something I have learned over time.
  • edited May 2022
    Thank you for the suggestions. I guess what I am saying is I often find the inexpensive ones fairly dull. Like won't drill though styrene dull, let alone white metal for some of the rod needed for white metal in kits. And I am wondering if there is anything anyone uses that works really well. Or is this a case similar to knife blades where we need to be using new ones fairly often and buying the 5 or 10 packs of the bits as needed.
  • Try these from Amazon. Very fragile, but extremely sharp.
    WayinTop 50pcs PCB Drill Bits Set Spiral Flute Carbide 0.3mm-1.2mm for Print Circuit Board Stone Dremel Jewelry CNC Engraving (5PCS Each)

• EmeryJ said:

Try these from Amazon. Very fragile, but extremely sharp.
    WayinTop 50pcs PCB Drill Bits Set Spiral Flute Carbide 0.3mm-1.2mm for Print Circuit Board Stone Dremel Jewelry CNC Engraving (5PCS Each)

Thanks! That is exactly the type of tip I was hoping for. I'll give those a shot

• Thanks Emery, I just ordered a set too.
  • Guys, I just use them in my fingers. Just roll them. They will snap immediately if used in the dremel flex attachment. I am not steady enough to keep them from breaking.
  • edited May 2022
    That's a good reminder for buyers
    indeed Emery, they are finger twist bits,
    kinda like they have their own pin-vice/handle built in to hold them and use them easier by hand.

The only time I use a dremel is with a 1/16 bit to drill holes into resin castings for toothpicks, and even then should only be done with great care, slow speed and gained experience.
  • edited May 2022
    Thanks! I find while everything takes more time, I rarely go for the power tools with super small detail work because it also takes me longer to screw it up.
  • @ben,
    i've had those sets of bits you pictured, and i've never been able to figure out the right way to open the damn things. i end up prying it open with a jeweler's screwdriver, and the bits are total crap. i'm going to order the ones emery referred to, but how do they correlate with the numbered sizes?
  • If you go to this page https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/drill-bits-for-aluminum-brass-and-bronze/ there is a list of wire gauge size bits. I did the math and this is what I got for that set EmeryJ recommended. They are all very close to equal but not quite
    .3mm = #81
    .4mm = #78
    .5mm = #76
    .6mm = #73
    .7mm = #70
    .8mm = #68
    .9 mm = #65
    1.0mm = #61
    1.1mm = #57
    1.2mm = #56
  • Ben, I went to Rig Grande Jewelry " the same people that Brett recommends for blickner" supply and got a set of 61 through 80 drills. Ten of each size that is 200 drill bits for $110. hope this helps. Randy
  • BenPopper said:

If you go to this page https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bits/drill-bits-for-aluminum-brass-and-bronze/ there is a list of wire gauge size bits. I did the math and this is what I got for that set EmeryJ recommended. They are all very close to equal but not quite
    .3mm = #81
    .4mm = #78
    .5mm = #76
    .6mm =r #73
    .7mm = #70
    .8mm = #68
    .9 mm = #65
    1.0mm = #61
    1.1mm = #57
    1.2mm = #56

the set i ordered based on emery's recommendation came to today. 5 identical packages.. i took a scale 1x8 and started drilling holes in it just to see if they're better than the crap i've used for 15 years. light years better. now if i can figure out a way to chuck em in a pin vise i'll be even happier with them.
    i'll try drilling into a resin casting next.
  • edited May 2022
    Thanks for the size comparison/conversions Ben, most helpful. I'll be printing that out.

Mine just got delivered today too Kev, it's great to have 5 of each size for that price.
    I'll try mine out when I finish the current project. I look forward to your 'reporting' in the mean time.

• I looked up these when posted. I read some reviews and they said they were very brittle and broke easily. I suspect they were using them in a mechanical device. Emerj said he used them by rolling in his fingers and that would be less susceptible to breaking.
  • Almost all drills of those sizes are brittle....unless you spend an insane amount of money that is. I drill out a pin vise to accept the ones I ordered. I also agree with soft materials...roll them in your fingers.....much more control...
  • Mine arrived as well, and agreed, need to get a Shaviv pin vise to fit the 1/8" bit size, but these are super sharp in both the white metal and truck set plastic I just put tiny test holes into. WAY worth the $15. Thank you for the recommendation
  • Got some myself. Bet the seller wonders where all these orders came from.
  • Mine arrived yesterday as well….Bryan, my thoughts exactly
    Terry
  • that's hysterical that so many of us ordered them. i tried to drill into a casting and maybe it's just me, but it's not possible. i gotta see about the shaviv pin vise ben talked about.
  • kebmo said:

that's hysterical that so many of us ordered them. i tried to drill into a casting and maybe it's just me, but it's not possible. i gotta see about the shaviv pin vise ben talked about.

that's too rich for my blood.

• Definitely a run on those drill bits. I too ordered them and received them Saturday. I have a pin vise with multiple chucks so was able to use it. I drilled a hole with the smallest size in hard plastic with no problem. No idea where I got the pin vise. Had it for years.....Rick
  • i found a pin vise on amazon that'll accept 1/8" shanks.
  • Have any of you fellas used this site: https://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/ ? They look similar to the ones you are buying with the 1/8" shank. I haven't dealt with Paul in a few years, but he was very helpful when I did.
  • Oldman said:

Have any of you fellas used this site: https://drillcity.stores.yahoo.net/ ? They look similar to the ones you are buying with the 1/8" shank. I haven't dealt with Paul in a few years, but he was very helpful when I did.

thanks. i just ordered a pin vise from him.

• I ordered my set of bits yesterday and got them today. Randy
  • i would warn everyone; i got a pin vise today that accepts 1/8" shanks. i put the largest bit in the set in the pin vise and drilled through a piece of 1/4" in about 6 seconds. on the second attempt the bit snapped.
    they're brittle so excersize caution when using them. (good thing they sent me 5 sets...lol)
  • While perusing Amazon found a mini cordless drill.....ordered it....will post photos and test results once it arrives.....fairly inexpensive....about the size of a bic lighter....well...a little bigger...
  • edited June 2022
    A quick update on the drill bits I purchased earlier in this thread as suggested by Emery.

I have been using these bits constantly over the past two weeks in both resin and 3D printed parts from Brett. Also a few metal parts.
    The bits are super sharp and they cut clean and quick.

I have been using them as finger twist bits and have had no bit breakages or problems with any size.

============================================

As a side note I also ordered this Pin Vise from Amazon.
    I dont use it with the finger twist bits as it may provide too much lateral movement and therefor lead to bit breakage.

However, it will hold the 1/8" shanks and could carefully be used with the largest of the bits.

The best thing about it though is that it has a zero tolerance chuck, which means that it will hold even the smallest bit you have. Some pin vices have a chuck which is shaped so that it will only clamp down to a certain size. This one goes all the way to nothing so it will hold anything.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DRKZ9F3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

pin vise

I'm sure I'll find a use for the "eye screws" in this set, maybe I'll build a ship with rigging, or more likely be using them for awning supports with chains. With that said...
    The bits in this set are also nice and sharp and I have used them quite a lot with no problems so far, and for $10 the pin vise was worth it alone for me.

(Remember, there is a difference between a drill bit and a twist bit.)
  • I may be a bit late on this thread, but I get my drill bits from Gyros Precision Tools. I have purchased all the drill bits from #50-#80 and use them in my pin vice as well as my Dremel tools. I've never had one break but I only use them in resin and metal castings. I've been happy with the quality and the speed in which they deliver the bits.