visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Added the bars to the only other lower level window on the main structure. Love these windows of Bretts...can't stop fooling around with them. Decided to add interior screen for protection...mainly just to add visual interest...lots to see for just basic double hung windows!

I am now getting set-up to detail the walls for the Bait & Tackle Shop...more later.

IMG_2250

Side wall of the Tool Shop as seen from the rear of Shelby's

IMG_2253

Updated the right side window with the interior screen to match the other lower level window.
  • Walls turned out very nice!
  • All the extra detail and depth added to the wall with the paint/weathering and the window bars/screen are working so well together. I am impressed with how small you got the individual and distinct crackle "pieces". Not overdone, just right and completely to scale.
  • Hey Thanks much Tom...so far so good.

Appreciate that Brett. Those windows are just timeless!...for a kit almost 25 years old the windows are still the best prototypical and detailable (made up a new word just for these windows!) windows out there.

Great that you mentioned about the crackle paint "pieces", that's the bottle of wax when it comes for making this method work in 1:87 scale. If I wasn't able to get the "pieces" to where they are, I wasn't going to do it at all. There were a few areas that the size of the pieces were too big but I just scraped them off.
  • I am moving on to the Bait & Tackle Shop. The walls are scribed siding and will be finished in a weathered red color with white trim. It becomes worth repeating the importance of preparing the walls for the desired effect well before applying the final color. Here I will outline how I go about detailing scribed siding:

First I study the manual and templates and come up with an overall plan for the structure. I map the areas I want to show any significant weathering in the form of missing/rotted siding.

I then grain the siding with my wire brush. This is followed by an application of nail holes at the stud framing that would be present. I always lay in the nail holes before staining the base wood and color cots. This allows the nail holes to pop and then get toned down with the paint and fill in many of the nail holes as it naturally would. This results in a vague visual indication of the nail holes.

Next step is to impart all the joints where two boards meet, missing pieces of siding, heavily weathered areas, etc...Once this is done I give the wall a coat of base stain. This is what will show through the weathered, chipped, and faded paint. Further applications of pigments completes the post color detailing to come later.

Once satisfied with the base wood staining and weathering its on to the color coat...

IMG_2257

Wall section with basic pre-stain detailing as described above.

IMG_2260

Wall section following base stain application. More walls to go.
  • Here a bit more advanced weathering technique that I like to use as it gives a great level of visual interest. It also serves to heighten the amount of deterioration and give the impression of depth to the wall. This is not for the fait of heart as you have to destroy part of your wall you just worked so hard to detail!

IMG_2265

Wall section with missing siding revealing the stud framing, that's really not there and the interior siding that's also...not there, creating great depth and visual interest. In order for this to look right and to scale, it's not as easy as just cutting a chunk out and framing it in. The edges of the exposed siding would be way too thick to look right. Therefore, the siding must be thinned down to the scale thickness of the actual siding and not the pice of scribed siding you started with.

IMG_2262

Here I have removed enough wood down to the scale thickness of the siding. You can actually see the ghosting of the nail holes showing through.
  • Great tutorial!....Rick
  • Thanks Rick.
  • Love that detail. It’s become your signature.

Did you consider adding actual clapboards to the scribed siding like Brett’s more recent kits call for.
  • Thanks buddy, I think if I had to do an unweathered structure without screwed up siding I'd have a panic attack!

That is a great technique for a very unique look. I have only done it on one build and that was O'Neills. Didn't really think about it for this build...should have.

• Just catching up Ken. What a fantastic build. The walls are just fantastic. The detailed windows ditto. Just a marvel.
  • Great hearing from you Joel. Hope all is well up north. Thanks so much for the note and support.
  • nice little detail
  • Wonderful detailing! What else can one say!!

Jerry
  • edited February 2022
    Appreciate that Steve. I love reviewing your build of Shelby's, great inspiration and motivation...so well done. If anyone hasn't seen Stephen's Shelby's diorama, you need to! Go to the Gallery on this site.

Thanks Jerry. I end up making a lot of work for myself! lol.
  • I happened on an improved method of weathering the scribed siding. Where the siding meets edges such as window frames, doorways, and the wall sides, the siding often splits and cracks. This is accentuated by the nail holes along the board ends. Previously I would use my #11 blade to split and wether the ends. I didn't care for the result as the blade was so sharp the cracks didn't show up and if I tilted the blade it cut the wood too much. Today I tried my pointed awl to scribe the cracks and it worked great.

IMG_2274

Result of the pointed awl used to scribe cracks in the board edges.

IMG_2274 (1)

Close up of same. Remember, each board in HO is 1/16 of an inch wide!

IMG_2271

The pointed awl I use.
  • There are so many new tips and techniques just on this current page, it’s ridiculous!! You da man! Thanks for your many contributions!
  • You bet Al! Thanks for the support buddy. Sometimes I get rolling on a build and only give updates after I'm done working on a section. Thought I'd try and get some updates as I go along with some areas.
  • Here is the above illustrated wall with the base stain added:

IMG_2275

Base detailing done on all the walls with a couple more added areas of damage/rot. probably more than would be typically seen but adds a good bit of interest. Remember, these areas can be toned down with exterior details and scenic work hiding them with small areas peeking through.

IMG_2280

IMG_2277
  • Ken, that is some fine detailing on the walls! The patience it must take to thin out the walls without cutting through them is phenomenal. The resulting exposed results is GREAT! I've tried putting exposed studs on a deteriorating scribed wall and the thickness of the scribed wood does make it difficult to do. Your method may be tedious but it really turned out very nice!
  • Thanks so much Tom. You're correct, the key to having this method look right is the thinning of the scribed siding down to scale thickness of the actual siding boards. Tedious for sure!
  • edited February 2022
    those walls look excellent. they remind me of a 100+ year old hotel on the lakes around here where al capone and his cohorts would hang out to keep their heads down for a while.
    the mineola hotel on fox lake illinois. it has fallen on hard times. the bar downstairs has been the only portion of the building open to the public for decades. last time i had a beer there, the paint peel was over 100% of the building. have a look.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineola_Hotel
    some raccoon-caused damage up near the eaves or on the roof would look really cool.
    raccoon eave damage

raccoon roof damage

ho scale raccoons are readily available too, so you could work some of your magic on it.
  • Thanks Kevin, appreciate the link and I'll check it out. The peel on the main structure I did is significant. Was a bit concerned on how it would look. Will get a better idea once the building is together. Of all the dioramas I've built, I've only had one animal and that was a cat! Lol.
  • All the walls for the Bait & Tackle Shop have been detailed, stained, and braced. Through some trial applications on some test pieces of scribed siding, I landed on a shade of red that I liked for the structure. The paint will be far less weathered than that of the main structure. This will add a nice splash of contrasting color to the main Shelby's building. I put the final color on a trial piece of the actual wall in spot that would not show just to make on last run before committing!

IMG_2282
  • edited February 2022
    The more I look at this the more I think it’s too red. I’m going to look at a bit more on the darker maroonish side...hmmm
  • You tell him Kevin. We want to see a raccoon.
  • Hey I have enough trouble just putting one LP in my dioramas let alone start messin with wildlife! Lol...
  • The maroon paint didn't look quite right either. I added an additional coat of AI over the color and got the less red look I wanted. All the walls are now colored and initial weathering...couple examples follow:

IMG_2294 (1)

IMG_2292 (1)
  • I think it works. If it’s still bugging you I might suggest a very thin brown filter/wash of acrylics/ink/enamel doesn’t matter. The brown will filter the red but be in the same tone.
  • I really like the color.....