visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

SHELBY'S Marine Service (HO/HOn3)

Comments

• Not even finished and already worn and grungy... :blush: Nice work Ken !!
  • Thanks Randy.

Appreciate that Robert.
  • Wonderful update. I keep going back to how realistic the tarpaper looks inside the walls. Agree with your reasoning as well for utilizing the tp.
  • Thanks so much Admin. Since the first time I started covering my interior walls back with BlueSky, I have really liked the effect and plan to use it on future builds. I plan to "light" Shelby's and that will highlight the interior walls nicely. Love your design here Brett, gives me great opportunity to work with the wood that I enjoy so much. On to the upper level!
  • Fantastic peeling paint effect on exterior wood. The interior walls are great also!
  • Hey Tom, appreciate that my friend!...coming along.
  • Ken, your work is way above fantastic!
  • Thanks much Pappy...lots of siding work on this project, slow and steady as she goes!
  • Thanks Pappy, slow is my middle name! But all that does is extend the enjoyment of working with SWSM kits, which is always a good thing. I mentioned to Brett that we should probably start an additional thread under techniques once a subject begins to take on a more detailed conversation to keep build threads a bit cleaner and easier to follow....and of course that was on me, and I should have started one for the crackle paint conversation so sorry about that. Maybe when you get your results you can start one under that heading and I'll jump in and give my 2 cents worth! lol...
  • When I see your modeling, Ken, it amazes me the layers of believable detail you apply.

George
  • Hey George, appreciate that and you hit the nail on the head my friend...layering is all so important. Thanks again.
  • Just a fantastic start Ken. The amount of detail and time you put into every wall it really shows. Fantastic effect.
  • Appreciate that Joel, and of course always enjoy hearing from you! Working on the upper sections now and will have those ready by this weekend I hope.
  • Ken looks great! Like the TP effect inside. What did you use for the TP and did you fit that in between the fire stops or before??

Jerry
  • Thanks much Jerry. I constructed the wall framing and finished the exterior wall before beginning the interior. I cut tissue paper to fit the spaces between the studs and fire stops after the wall was done. These strips were then glued in place and weathered with pigments/chalk.
  • Thanks Ken. That would work on most models that don't have battens to keep the cold out!

Jerry
  • edited January 2022
    Update on my Shelby's project:

Have been working on the walls for the main structure. Absolutely love the amount of "wall work" that is entailed in the main building. Such a nice design. The bottom wall sections are all built over strip wood framing, which I illustrated earlier. The second floor walls are strip wood siding over cardboard templates. The upper and lower walls are built separately and then glued together, save for the front which the upper level is beautifully cantilevered over the lower wall section. To top it off, when the main building walls are put together, there is a Tool Shop addition, rear shed, stairway, and roof yet to be added! Modelers dream.

As you know, I am doing the "paint peel" with crackle paint. I have done this method, to a limited extent, in a few of my other builds but nothing of this magnitude. I was a bit apprehensive based on the shear amount of wall "square footage"! I decided the way to do it was to remove a good bit of the paint, as experimental pieces with a large amount of the paint left on did not look good at all! (illustrated in the following pics...Lol) This of course fit well with my style of Grunge and afforded lots of detailing opportunities.

Below is a picture of the upper wall sections with the coat of crackle paint applied

IMG_2166

Upper walls with the crackle paint applied...YUCK! Easy to imagine the look with only a small amount of paint removed.

Below are the walls with the upper and lower sections glued together and the paint removed to my taste.

IMG_2172

If I were to do it again, I would detail the walls without applying the paint until the upper and lower walls were married together, then apply the paint. I'm not totally happy with the transition of the upper and lower walls. The most obvious is the right side of the top picture which is the left wall. Fortunately this area will not show as the stairway construction will hide that seam. This would have been a "no issue" had I painted them as one unit. Not a big deal once things are done and detailed...just a good "note to self" for the future. Note: Purists may notice some subtile changes in the walls above...more on that later.

I'm now working on the wonderful windows included in the kit. Despite this kit being almost 25 years old, the window design is still just beautiful. The filigree of the framing and in particular the mullions is wonderful.

• Front upper wall with a couple of windows staged to show the wonderful detail of these laser cut pieces. Inner sash is separate and can be positioned as desired. I'm not done with these windows yet...experimenting with getting better long length wood grain. More on that later.

IMG_2179
  • Amazing the transformation that occurs once you strip the unwanted paint away. The walls are perfect and really capture that waterfront feeling.
  • Lots of scraping paint, but it's a blast and actually a lot of fun to do. Thanks Brett, look forward to putting the walls together and getting at that Tool Shop addition!
  • edited January 2022
    I experimented with imparting a wood grain into the laser cut window frames. The material has a grain that goes perpendicular to the long measure of the frame. I went over the frame with my #11 blade to give it some long grain and dry brushed with white. It actually gave a slight crackle appearance as the long grain worked well with the short grain to give the desired effect.

IMG_2182

Original window...note the short width grain.

IMG_2184

Same window after detailing with some long width grain and dry brushing after. Perfect example of how versatile and detail ready these windows are!

IMG_2186

Reminder of the size of these guys in 1:87...least we forget! Lol.
  • Breaking new ground here and doing a great job! Question: If you take off too many “crackles”, can you put some back? LOL
  • Kind of like the cereal snap,crackle & pop!! Once there gone there gone!!

Just had to say that!!

Jerry
  • Ken the window looks great as usual a beautiful job.

Jerry
  • Thanks AL, I didn't try that! I did try adding some paint with a brush to see how that would look as if it were re-painted...didn't look very good.

Yup, can't easily go back! Thanks Jerry.
  • Adding the grain really enhances the detail of the windows. Nice work! I've tried something like that on such windows but mine didn't turn out as nice.
  • Thanks Tom, it does take some close quarters work!
  • Excellent.
  • Great detail on such small items.
  • Will hardly be seen...