visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dirt, Details & Dioramas... Karl. A

12346»

Comments

• Thanks Brett for bringing some of these threads back up. This one has been particularly useful for me as I am starting to assemble my Morton's diorama and have been reminded of some scenery techniques. I have viewed this thread before and in awe of Karl's great work.
  • Someone mentioned this string in another post and it’s a fantastic resource. Also, the dio is AMAZING. The pics at the end look absolutely full scale.
  • Brett, I was asking myself, were all the castings Karl used available seperately ? Since this was not a SW kit and his build is packed with them.
  • edited May 2020
    Robert, 99% of the details came from the large SWSM detail sets that Brett sold. "Interior Detail set" , "Exterior Detail set" and I think another one I had bought years earlier.
    The tractor came from my O Scale "Blue Sky" kit. The Horse Drawn Log cart was one of Brett's personal kits from his collection that he very generously gave to me to use.
  • edited November 2021
    I'm getting ready to 'spread some dirt' on my Railroad Camp build and I've been referencing this thread by Karl....I thought it might be good to reactivate it as there's a "ton" of good info here...Thanks K

Terry
  • Question about the 50/50 mixture of white glue/water mix for adherence of “dirt”, ballast, etc….is there an advantage to white glue vs yellow wood glue that most of us have already have sitting on the work bench?
    Terry
  • edited January 2022
    No, I always use the yellow wood glue for everything. For scenery its more dilute than 50/50 though. Maybe 5:1 or more, it's been a while, but, that sounds about right, though not a rule.
    I've never had a problem with the 'basic' yellow wood glue.

Did I say "50/50 white glue" somewhere in this thread ?? If so I'll go back and change it as its not accurate.

I usually just say "dilute glue"...
    I dilute it to a water consistency that's easily absorbed by the scenery and doesn't leave a residue.
  • Thanks Karl…. I can’t tell you the exact page because of combined the entire thread into one document (page 19 of my document) but it’s listed as white glue on the page directly after the page where you show the two tubs of grout and three tubs of ground leaves/floral moss
    Thanks again for the tutorial
    Terry
  • edited November 2021
    Your welcome Terry.
    and thanks, I'll go back and find it/correct it.

EDIT: found and fixed, thanks.
  • Karl, Thanks for this wonderful exposition of the techniques you use in designing, preparing and completing exquisite detailing of your award wining dioramas. Just finishing Mortons's Foundry in HO which includes more wonderful details than any of Brett's other kits that have built ( mostly early ones). Actually working though all the details and accompanying landscaping has been a very time consuming because of the number of areas to be modeled and the many very special details as well as the creativity required for good results. This discussion which describes a process which organizes the creative tasks in a coordinated orderly manner inspires even greater enjoyment of this part of the Sierra West experience.. Thank you sharing all this helpful guidance.
  • Thanks for the comments and encouragement Jim, it's always so very rewarding to read from someone who enjoys what I do, and gets something from how I do it.

The Foundry is certainly one very incredible kit packed with many scenes that are all highly detailed. However good the last SWSM kit was, Brett just keeps on evolving and stepping it up on the next one.

As I may have noted in this thread, but definitely in my more recent builds, I find it easier (for me) to concentrate on a smaller area and then move to the next, it gives me a completion satisfaction and also helps me focus better.

So pleased you enjoyed the thread. Thanks again.
  • Always appreciate the advice that is given by example by you and the other terrific modelers who post build threads on this forum. One question. I have used dilute white glue, dilute Modge Podge and matt medium. I would think that yellow wood glue might be stronger and longer lasting. Which brand do you use? I like Elemer's water proof. Thanks
  • Just regular elmers wood glue
  • edited January 2022
    I do not want to hijack Karl's thread here but want to be perfectly clear. I do not suggest using the wood max glue for scenery in my manuals. I specifically call for white glue. Conversely white glue is not recommended for wood.

PLEASE (you or anyone) ask as many questions as you want! This forum is a learning/teaching tool for SW products.

Thank you.
  • Karl, I believe along the way you mentioned a technique to create ruts or tire tracks using a saran wrap overlay. Cannot find this particular discussion. Could you provide a little detail on this when you have time? Your techniques and instructions, which are always expressed in " Kings English" with the utmost clarity, are treasured by me and other modelers who are working their way up the learning curve. Thanks
    Jim

• JimK said:

Your techniques and instructions, which are always expressed in " Kings English" with the utmost clarity, are treasured by me and other modelers who are working their way up the learning curve.

Well said Jim and completely agree with your assessment, always improving thanks to Karl's efforts and information !!
    Amen
  • Thanks Jim and Paul, great to know my posts are helpful. Really appreciate the comments.

Jim, I'll prob add tractor tracks on my Logging Tractor Repair dio shortly.
    I'll describe the process then.

Thanks again.
  • edited January 2022
    PaulS said:

JimK said:

Your techniques and instructions, which are alwais ys expressed in " Kings English" with the utmost clarity, are treasured by me and other modelers who are working their way up the learning curve.

Well said Jim and completely agree with your assessment, always improving thanks to Karl's efforts and information !!
    Amen
    Paul, Thank you. I believe most everyone on the forum agrees.
  • Karl.A said:

Thanks Jim and Paul, great to know my posts are helpful. Really appreciate the comments.

Jim, I'll prob add tractor tracks on my Logging Tractor Repair dio shortly.
    I'll describe the process then.

Thanks again.

tractor tracks would be great. i've been trying to figure out a way to add them on mine.

• Military modelers have some great techniques for track marks
  • edited February 2022
    i never take the time to check the military forums, and now with molly, i don't have time for anything. soon i hope.
  • I'm a bit late to this one, but what a fantastic thread.

regards

Malcolm
  • edited March 2022
    Thanks Malcolm, great to see you here, (never too late).

It's always rewarding to have a response to this work/thread, and
    of course very appreciated to read.

I'm so pleased that new (and old) members and readers still get something from the
    thread and, (for me), it's always great to see it 'pop' back up.

I hope to do a sequel thread one day...

Thanks again.

• Karl.A said:

Thanks Malcolm, (never too late)

It's always rewarding to have a response to this work/thread, and
    of course very appreciated to read.

I'm so pleased that new (and old) members and readers still get something from the
    thread and, (for me), it's always great to see it 'pop' back up.

I hope to do a sequel thread one day...

Thanks again.

like tread tracks in the mud?

• edited March 2022
    OK Kev, coming up this week, (before Monday), because I know you
    are making such great progress on your LTRS build.

I've got to dig out my dirt and scenery stuff to get the treads done, so this
    will also give me the impetus to get back to my LTRS build and finish it off.

Dragging out all the scenery supplies from the hall closet is one thing that
    has been holding me back on my LTRS, I've also been playing around with
    several other builds/projects. (Can you say full desk !!).

I'll clear the desk of all this other stuff over the next few days,
    and then get it all messed up again with 'dirt and details' for you (and me)
    over the weekend.

Let's both hope for good results!!

• can't wait!