visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Hello!

Hey folks - happy to join the forum. I recently (about a year ago early pandemic) discovered an old Campbell kit in the basement that I started probably close to 30 years ago. Brought back memories of my teen year layouts where those plaid boxes were always out of reach both from a price and skill, but literally because the stores usually stocked them on the top shelf! I dreamed of working on them but had settled for weathering plastic kits with whatever I had on hand. Having re-discovered the hobby, I have found there is so much more information, products, and kits available than ever. No room for a layout, but enough for a workbench (well, end of kitchen table...). I am now in a permanent work from home job, kids have moved out, and my model building is a great break from the keyboard. I have already enjoyed and learned a lot from some of the great posts here in the forum. I picked up my first SWSM (E. J. Whiley) and looking forward to taking the next step in my modeling skills.

Comments

• I think I saw your post on Facebook?

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Rewards are at the bottom, just keep falling ;)
  • Probably have - I do most of my posting in Model Railroading Structures & Scenery. The real rabbit hole (or rabbit hole in the rabbit hole) is paint conversions...
  • Yes, definitely you I saw.

Don’t trouble yourself too much with paint conversions. Like-for-like alternatives don’t really exist and much fun can be had finding your own way.
  • Completely agree - but I can still nerd out :) I really like the MIG Ammo paints the best but looking forward to trying the 3rd Gen AK.
  • Hey Don, welcome to the forum! Glad you found your way here, lots to read about and learn.
  • Welcome aboard. This is addictive for sure. Lots of inspiration as well as instruction here.
  • Welcome. Good to have you along.
  • admin said:

Hey Don, welcome to the forum! Glad you found your way here, lots to read about and learn.

I have already learned so much from you and the forums in general. I am hoping at some point I will be able to contribute as well! ...paying it forward to the next model builder!

• Welcome! Great place to learn from some of the BEST modelers. Looking forward to your posts.
  • Welcome amongst us.
  • TomMich said:

Welcome! Great place to learn from some of the BEST modelers. Looking forward to your posts.

TomMich - I saw your E.J. Whiley build thread. That is my first SWSM kit and I am going to be following along your thread with my build!

• Nice to see you posting here! Anxious to see E.J. Whiley here, will be following along...Ken
  • Welcome aboard
  • Good to have you here with us!

Jerry
  • A great place to learn and be inspired. Looking forward to your contributions. Welcome.
  • (face palm) - I neglected to mention my name was Don! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
  • Don glad you liked my Whiley build. You will do well with yours as the instructions are excellent ad lead you seamlessly through the build. Looking forward to seeing your build.
  • that's no overstatement. these are absolutely the best instruction manuals you'll ever see. they led a pinhead like me into building the best models I'VE ever built. I'm about 10 levels below most of the guys on here, but i impressed myself with my first sierra west kit., and you will too. :)
  • actually 10 may be an understatement.
  • You’re too modest, Kev

And welcome aboard, Don
    Terry
  • edited July 2021
    Don't believe a word Kevin says Don! He's a top shelf modeler and safe to say, we have all improved our modeling through SierraWest products & support, web-site, and of course this forum...Ken
  • edited July 2021
    KKarns said:

Don't believe a word Kevin says Don! He's a top shelf modeler and safe to say, we have all improved our modeling through SierraWest products & support, web-site, and of course this forum...Ken

Exactly why I am here - to learn and enjoy. Doing Whiley first truly in the spirit of Craftsman Kit University.

• wow. thanks for the over the top endorsement ken. you're too kind.