visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The Main Street Hotel #206 - in O Scale. Karl.A

Comments

• Karl,

I see that among the weathered castings in the photo above you have a wheel barrow. What will you use to make the legs it will rest on? Brass wire? or other material? If brass wire what size will you use?

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/950/16T67WU4X5LV.jpg

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great weathering. looking forward to seeing this come together.
  • edited February 2021
    Me too Joel....
    I can't remember which chalks I used for the store walls 8 years ago, but, thats close enough for me on the header I just did.
    So glad to finally get those signs done...

(yes Alex I went with #2)

Hmmm, whats next...
  • Well I guess I better move on with scenery, sat here for an hour or so watching videos and thinking,
    time to get the scenery supplies out and hope for inspiration... feels like I only put all that stuff away a few days ago.
    Cleaned up the desk, put the details away safe, time to get messy, again.

• I pulled down my O'Neill's diorama from the shelf and sat it next to the hotel.
    These two dioramas were always planned to be next to each other, O'Neills was specifically laid out for that purpose with the elevations. The two structures were built to go on my O scale version of the complete SW "Logging camp diorama".

https://sierrawestscalemodels.com/lc_diorama.html

O'Neills will substitute the first aid building, everything else the same, the others completed so far are :-
    Tool shed
    Rigging Shed
    Warehouse 50%
    Hotel 50%
    Locoshops 75%
    a few more to go so, time to get this one finished off.

Gonna be a bit cramped with both on the desk at the same time to start with...
  • edited February 2021
    I'm thinking I need a cobble stone/brick street infront of the hotel, a dirt road just isn't going to cut it.
  • looking forward to this....
  • Don't blink, I just finished eating and scenery is about to start flyin...
  • Your expediency matches your exceptional modeling. I don't know how you do both so well. I won't blink. I want to see the scenery come together.....Rick
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Rick, I'll keep you updated

• Realised I needed a coal bin for under the stairway and hadn't made one... found Brett's casting from my "Logging and Tractor Repair" kit and made a quick copy out of some scrap balsa I found.

Needed some coal to fill it so grabbed a filter from my aquarium and took some charcoal out, turned out to be about twice the size I wanted so crushed it under my scale ruler to a better size. Good to go...

• edited February 2021
    This side pretty much done, made another pallet, painted/weathered some barrels to be old, I've got to let it dry before adding the final chalk weathering. Still need to add the wheel barrow and shovel to finish it off.

edit: oh and I'll probably add a saw for cutting up the limbs.

Time to turn the corner and start working on the back.

• edited February 2021
    Well time for the next area but I think I'm going to leave the back of the store until tomorrow, because, I know I want some of Brett's cool little produce crates outside the back door and I've had way too many coronas to be building those little things tonight.

So, I guess its back around to the front.
  • Well, back around to the front, time to play with some details... finally...
    Everything seems to be drying good, a little bit more 'greenery' than I usually do, but, I'm still OK with it.

Time for a little slow down thinking time, then on with the details for the store front.
  • Oh yeah, you can notice I cut the front of the dio off ready to do the brick street, but that will be tomorrow.
  • edited February 2021
    OK, break time over, time for the store front...
    I guess Rick went to bed... hahaha

• Bed time...

• edited February 2021
    Still lots to fix, mostly what i knocked loose/off tonight, or just 'next on the list'...

082a
  • That's gonna be one big diorama.

I like the idea of cobblestones. Been planning an area like that myself for the foundry. I'll be interested to see how you tackle this.
  • Wow! I only blinked once(sleep) I am on the east coast and have to work today. I can't believe how much you got done in one evening. That would take me over a week to accomplish and probably not even then. Looks fantastic. Need more time to study it all.....Rick
  • Looks really great Karl! Are you still using grout for dirt?
  • Karl, to expand on Steve’s question, sanded
    grout typically has its own adhesive properties so do you merely place the grout and dampen with a spray bottle or eye dropper and it’s ‘good to go’?
    Terry
  • Wow, loving where this is going. Combining this with your O'Neills diorama is a great move. They look incredible together...
  • Love your scenery and detail work! How about a bumper under the rear freight door? A couple of half tires or a beam?
  • Karl,

Looking forward to your cobblestone street in front of the hotel Personally, I might be tempted to spruce up the area between the hotel and street a bit and possibly add a post and rail fence around the approach to the hotel. But perhaps that wouldn't be in keeping with the weathered appearance of the hotel.

Definitely a fan of all the photos you add to illustrate things. Takes some time to get them shot and posted but I really appreciate your efforts.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited February 2021
    Thanks Guys, really appreciate all your comments.

Bryan, HO-2'x4' so 4'x8'. Dave Revellia used to say "Go big or go home"
    Rick, I did warn you.
    Steve, yes it's still the same two colours of grout.
    Terry, it still needs a flooding of white glue, a)because its so thin. b)to hold the other scenery materials.
    Brett, I know you wont remember but it was one base when I just had the two structures, I cut it in half to do the "Dirt and Details" thread. I'm loving it to, it's coming out as we imagined. Perfect fit.
    095a

Tom, I thought about it, and tried it, didn't like it, it blocked in the foundation too much, might revisit it but I doubt it.
    Dave, I still have quite alot to add to the front yet, stairs, details and a couple more ideas.

Thanks again.
  • brownbr said:

That's gonna be one big diorama...

This is my initial plan Bryan, and my slow progress so far.
    You'll notice I've switched around a few structures but I think it still has the original feel.
    This first section will be about 30"x8'...

00000 lc_map a
  • Tonight I'm hoping to
    detail/scenic the final side,
    detail the front,
    detail the structure,
    maybe glue everything back on the structure I knocked off or broke,
    maybe the roof details
    maybe the brick road

I've got to make/build/paint the details for these areas so slower progress tonight.