visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

Comments

• Don't zoom to close Ed, it will suck you in like a haunted painting.

Rain by the buckets today.
  • Thanks for the explanation. What is a paper stomp? I'm not familiar with that term. Phil
  • Phil, I believe they are called "artist's blending stomps". I got some at Michaels. Basically paper rolled up tight and pointed at one end. I use these when I want to apply pigments only to the edges...brushes and sponges tend to get it in places I might not want it.
  • Amazon has them. Just search Paper Stump. I got a set #1-#6. They make up to #8, but that looks a bit large.
  • i thought they were called blunts. or maybe spliffs..... :)
  • Thanks. I’ll check it out. Phil
  • It's a much smaller box of junk but the process is the same. First paint the parts inside your color of choice. I always try to use a few different colors. Next give a wash with track wash and let sit for a few minutes. Then take a brush damp with mineral spirits and wipe the tops off. Once completely dry, rub with steel weathering pigments (or graphite pencil).A01A1498-B932-484D-870C-84B32AD1B5BF
    C2C774C1-7378-49B2-A96C-F4B44AAE878E
    066AC849-3F52-4E7C-AD37-91D0DF1E3F6B
    3C5C2042-4812-4C8E-A6D2-24AD3C926E5C
  • I think the lathe can be called done.

I added some paint chips by first putting on spots of a lighter green, then filled in these dots with a grimy black, then filled these dots in with dark rust. Gave a wash with Engine Grime and wiped most of it off. Touch up the metalic parts with steel pigments.

8CA936BF-E081-45CE-ABAF-7E3B05102FC6
    87A68A6A-1B7B-42E9-AC90-0FCE1C30E131
    A4BE1E73-AF9E-47F2-8718-6D1340EEC781
    8DD9016D-11DC-45FC-A049-B0FB2B077505
  • Looks great !
  • Great work Bryan !!!
  • Thanks again for going over your process. Phil
  • Very nice! Thank you for sharing your techniques.
  • This might have been asked, but what did you do to the green bottles? They sure look like glass to me.

Mike S.
  • Thanks guys.

Mike, the bottles were first painted silver then the green ones were painted with Tamiya "Clear Green". The brown ones were painted with "Smoke" and followed by a coat of high gloss varnish.
  • Thanks for getting back on how the bottles were painted. I will give it a try on my next bottles I do. I'm sure I have some that are not painted yet.

Mike S.
  • Gallery glass paints work well too
  • I might have to get some of the gallery glass paint. Looks like there is an abundance of colors.
  • Experiment 1 with wall coloring. I used graded colors of enamel paints and blended them together with mineral spirits. I think I'll flip it upside down and try the other side using multiple washes of the same colors instead of a single coat blended.

E377CDB5-1FCE-4CF8-8F89-3D3DA4708A1C
  • The boards really look rich and believable and I have seen some pictures with the same sort of transition from rot to good wood. However, I prefer the rot transition to be a bit more transparent and not as obvious. Also, I would beat up the lower boards a bit more.
    That's my two cents worth. Phil
  • Fantastiv work on painting the details. The rusted junk and bottles are outstanding.
  • I agree Phil. This is just a test section using scrap boards. I'm seeing if I can reproduce the colors on the shed wall that I posted earlier in the "mother nature weathering" thread. That look really caught my attention and I needed to try it out before I tried to put it on the walls.

Ed, I do not have any. I looked into getting some but never did.

Thanks Joel.

I used more of a wash in this side to see if I could make it more transparent as Phil suggested. I also gave a light sanding after it had some time to dry. I think I'm close to what I'm trying to achieve.

The top of the wall is what was posted earlier. I tried sanding it to tone down the opacity of the colors.

2977D078-6448-4516-A56B-9CFE00A3064E
  • This looks a lot better. I like it. Phil
  • Looks way better. I think you have achieved a great prototypical look.....Rick
  • What hit me was your stellar work on the wood crates! That last picture...yikes, that's nice...
  • Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I have the touch down now for the walls.

I've been detailing my details a little. Adding handles and a cap chain to the 5 gallon oil cans. What do you think the styrene pieces will be?

DE5E3FC4-1878-4569-BA47-48CCE2112BF9
    DE52F50E-538A-4793-852A-0DA6658875B0
  • Nice touch. Micro-detailing ... :smile:
  • Thanks Robert.

Hard to get a photo with good contrast even in the booth. This is about the best shot I could get. Can you make out the dangling cap on the can on the left?

ECA78ECB-C16C-4602-A7D5-9094FFCD3746
  • I'm starting to think about the look of the roof while I have some time to decide. I've seen many different variations of roofing on this kit and I like them all but I think Dave Revelia's 1:35 take is my favorite with the tarpaper covered shingles over the blacksmith addition. It is attached here. It probably would not make sense to use shake shingles on an addition like this but who cares about making sense? It might make sense to have the main structure with shingles and the addition with the board/batten roof. I mocked that up but I like the black of the tarpaper on the addition better than the main structure.

What is your favorite roof of this kit (no matter the scale)? Feel free to post the pic here.

E7FCB575-17CF-4009-90F9-8D755EA825B9
  • wow, i really like the way that looks. got any more shots of that roof?
  • Wish I had more shots of the roof Kevin. Not many pics of this build out there. I believe it is on display at the Suncoast Center for Fine Scale Modeling in Odessa, FL. Maybe we can get Ed to pop over and get some photos for us.