visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Tractor repair shed 2.0

I built this kit a little over 6 years ago and was very happy to see it available again. Since part deux was already taken, I went with version 2.0

Comments

• I'm not going to detail all of the steps that I took to get to this point. Phil is doing a fine job of that. I'm following his methods very closely with only a couple of small differences.

The first pick shows the heavy brush I use. It's as stiff as a file brush and easier to handle. It can be a bit much for thin boards though. Speaking of boards, I was happy to see instructions written in scale lumber vs dimensional lumber. ie: 1x12 vs .020x.250

I wanted a dull gray wood tone. My experiments with gray chalks did not give me the color I wanted so I did a variation of the wet brush method and got some interesting results. The wall piece on the left is the color of the chalks. I dry brushed a light and very light gray on the wall hoping to get the gray tones I wanted but the color was not noticible. I used a wide flat brush to apply IA (1tsp/pt) and brush it in. This smeared the color all around to an even coat. Once dry I added more coats of IA until I got the color you see on the right piece of wall (5 total coats). After the final coat dried I lightly sanded with 220 grit paper, brushed lightly with a brass brush to remove the dust then went over lightly with 0000 steel wool to remove the newly created fuzzies.

I'm happy with the coloring and should be able to easily recreate it on all of the other wood.

I'll be doing this as a standalone structure on a diorama with some extra logging disconnects and a kerosene critter to move them around. Unless Brett decides to reissue the Rigging shed in which case, I will likely combine the 2.

3167E4BD-C6FE-4304-9E57-CCFFB83EBFFB
    B0B1A024-0D9C-41C9-B477-F1DB5B8967C2
  • I really like the color you achieved. Be sure to write down the recipe. I also forget what I did and then have to try to recreate the process to get the same color. Phil
  • i'll be following along, as this is my next project after/if i ever finish my current one.
  • Bryan...just to understand...did you put the 5 coats of A/I on top of the left color or put the 5 coats on raw wood?
    Terry
  • Thanks guys. Kevin, you will enjoy this one.

Phil, I wrote down the chalk colors in the front of the manual. Learned this lesson after a build where I liked the color of the walls but forgot the colors.

Terry, there are 5 coats. They went on like this: The wall on the left already has 1 coat on it. I always give a coat to the boards after the chalk is set and before I start building. A 2nd coat was applied after the wall was constructed. A 3rd coat was used to wash up the drybrushing. A 4th coat was added to add depth to the grain again after the previous step. A 5th coat was added after the sanding, brushing, etc to once again add depth. I could probably skip 1 or even 2 coats now that I know what I'm doing. It sure does have that silvery gray that I was looking for.

More will be added to the bottom of the walls for "water marks". Maybe even a bit of slimy moss. We'll see. Depends on what scenery I'm going for. I'm leaning East coast so slimy moss would be appropriate.
  • Here's how it looks when you do the next steps...drybrush with 2 tone gray then wash together with IA. Think of it as a variation on the dampbrush method.

I'll let this dry overnight before adding anymore IA or doing any sanding/brushing.E0B3B1F5-5373-40AF-88CF-1A7DDFD33A87
    D9763F77-B771-4FEB-B01A-27EDB1D60185
  • Some real good looking boards you've got there Bryan !!!!
  • edited October 2020
    outstanding Bryan, looking forward to more for sure...

Rigging and Tool sheds coming next month!
  • Great color and weathering.
  • I used to stain exclusively using a Mike Chambers recipe with black and brown inks. I'm sure its the same as the S/S stain in appearance. I'm considering going back to that but I do like the dusty look of the chalks.

The walls are constructed. A bit of final weathering to do later as I decide on how the scenes will look. You can't hide the fuzzies from the super close-ups.

I started prepping castings as well. Seen here is the forge. I carved a cavity to install a light feature leaving enough material around to not let any light come through. I drilled a dozen or so holes in the top of the casting down to the cavity so the embers light up.

I'm also looking at how to place this. The instructions call for a 14.5 X 15.5 base. I'm thinking I will go with a 12x18 base...same area but will fit on a shelf better. Once finalized in my mind I will order the acrylic case. Once that arrives, I can build the basic ground formations so that the cover can be lifted off.

3CEEB650-CD91-4CB7-A443-B95769CFA7E5
    F6FA679A-46BF-4012-ACA0-397465DBC226
    1658BD84-527B-40BA-9C61-C531AB0D13B5
    74F8B6A3-D652-412D-BC53-5D5F132E2F24
  • did you use a dremel to gut the forge?
  • Dremel, yes. Marked out the area and checked depth frequently.
  • Hi Bryan,

When hollowing out the forge casting do you use a slow Dremel speed so as not to cause damage to the casting from heat?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Hey Dave. I had the Dremel set to 25 (it goes to 35). Not sure if the numbers equal RPM or not. I was actually more concerned with chipping, splitting, and/or going all the way through than heat. I used a fine tooth cutting burr seen here. I hand drilled the holes and angled them towards the cavity so I wouldn't miss it. You won't notice them once the casting is painted. I only put holes in the center so it gave the impression that the center was hotter than the edges.

I believe there is enough room in here to put the electronics but I'll probably put the board under the diorama just in case I have to access it at some point.

Once all done, I'll probably just slap a piece of duck tape over the cavity so light doesn't escape out the back. I'll be using tiny LED's so heat won't be a problem.

3A78399F-4318-4660-B766-C5AD9F2CC808
    02E01AB3-5C79-4530-8F71-36D0DEC875F4
  • I ordered my forge light today. Before it arrived I want to have the forge painted. I primed then started with the embers by adding an orange wash. All colors from SWSM paint set. Followed this up with a heavy drybrush of grimy black and washed some into the corners to make the center look hotter. Followed this with a drybrush of medium gray then light gray. On to the stones/bricks next...I'm thinking stone.

32018D17-786C-4678-8537-6398D134DF7C
    3F608085-5596-4C84-AD84-56F296DEB33D
    06C4EA3F-1265-415B-A044-21B1B360E97A
    01524D09-F539-4012-B7EF-BAF3AAFD318B
  • Nice job!! I can feel the heat from here. Phil
  • Bryan,

I am looking forward to seeing this forge come alive. Thanks for the detailed explanation of how you created this along with the photos.

Perfect timing for the forge to be fired up as temperatures begin to cool down and rain and snow are in the forecast.

• Once all done, I'll probably just slap a piece of duck tape over the cavity so light doesn't escape out the back.

Bryan, for the pot belley stove i did. I used some .005 brass sheet. It's pretty much perfect for a light block.
  • I'd have to make sure I insulated the brass just in case. Don't want to short anything out.
  • I'm toying around with placement here and I think I have 3 options. Don't mind the makeshift base. The cardboard is 12x18.

Option 1: structure is perpendicular to the front of the dio. I think this is the least interesting option.

Option 2: structure is angled to viewer's left. This gives a full view down the inside of the structure from all openings as well as a free view of the side track which will be occupied. The overhead for this angle shows some possible elevation changes. A small rise to the top left, a downward slope to the bottom left, and an area for a ditch to the bottom right.

Option 3: structure is angled to the viewer's right. I'm not sure how I feel about blocking the side track here, but it may grow on me. You never know.

Opinions?

5B5BAD47-686D-4FD0-9D67-6EBB6384D745
    947544F6-7CEF-411F-9D27-A3412CCF6B21
    ACD6A9B8-5C97-47C8-8588-727567D57A5F
    70449B2F-D30B-4F89-8CD3-2AAC3F57E035
    6D5E45E3-AD15-47F0-89BE-45AFB978AC14
    BDDCF863-3102-4FC9-BE06-231945634954
  • Bryan,

Interesting dilemma. Choices 2 and 3 definitely seem to make the outdoor tractor more of the focus. In option 2 the structure and indoor tractor seem to be more a part of the action. I tend to like option 2 a bit better for that reason. Perhaps photographing it on a table with a more neutral background would help make your choice more decisive.

• My vote is for number 2
  • Angled is much better !
  • I would not do the building square to the base personally...

But, i'm super nee to this so. Well. That's all i got. :smiley:
  • I hate "squaring" any structure to the base...it just never looks natural to me....
  • Appreciate the input.

Dave, I got lazy and just sat it on a chair. I think I'm going to get one of those portable photo booths. 24"x24" should handle even a full diorama I think.
  • I personally like option #2. Phil
  • I think it depends if you plan on installing it in a layout perpendicular is simpler but as a diorama I would always choose to place things on an angle. I like option 2. Could also play with a bit of elevation, even 1/2" would make for a bit more of a dramatic scene.
  • edited October 2020
    Bryan,

I've been using either a white or black sheet of foam board. My local art store often has it on special. Now I need to get a sheet and put a simple sky/clouds painted on it for a change-up.

I think Joel is onto something there with his suggestion of a bit of elevation.. Good idea/reminder, Joel. Thanks.

• I was stuck in a rut with flat topography with my dioramas. My first use of variation in landscape elevation is my current Scotia Supply build. Despite the very subtile changes in elevation it makes a huge difference in the visual interest. I think that topography would make more of an impact versus angulation but both are certainly valid issues.