visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Vallejo and Reaper Paints

2»

Comments

• Has anyone tried Gouache (Squash with a G) I've used it for figures. The Acrylic based Pigment is powerful dries very fast and adheres to metal and plastic extremely well. Dries to tough mat finish. A little goes a long way. Can be diluted to water color consistency. Packaged in tubes. Bought some at Asel art supply Manufactured by Acryla also Winsor Newton
  • I was wondering this lately too- I notice that on Chuck Doan's Facebook page he notes he uses white and burnt sienna gouache washes to fade signs and other surfaces ... And if it works for Mr. Doan ....!
  • edited June 2013
    I love the WN Water Mixable Oils. They add a feel that I cannot get with chalk or paint. They are very easy to work with and blend. They are especially nice creating subtle transitions of rust and oil and work great on paper signs. The rust effects around cracks and holes on a metal sign is superb! Here is a shot of a couple castings Kevin painted and finished using the oils...

• Thanks Brett - I think this answers a previous question about how Kevin got that oily- dirty look on cans and drums and such
  • I probably meant burnt umber in post above - burnt sienna would be pretty orange...
  • So I have been thinking about paint this week. As it turns out, I will be starting a build next month after a nearly 3 year hiatus. YEAH! Problem is that my paints have been sitting that long. We have all had paints come out of the bottle looking milky because we just can't get them shaken. I looked around for mixer options and after considering several I picked up this Typhoon. 30 seconds on this bad boy mixed the paint right up. Just what I need for a hundred or so bottles of paint.

Bryan

This

IMG_0063

Plus this

IMG_0065

Equals this

IMG_0064
  • Cool...do you just hold the bottle to the rubber pad?
  • Ken, yes just press it down on the rubber pad. It is touch activated. I figure it will take a bit of time to mix up bottles that have been unused for so long, but after an initial mixing just give a couple of seconds each time I use a bottle should keep them nice and mixed.

All good ideas Ed. I went with this one because I just don't like the idea of a bottle of paint being flung around the train room. When I looked at the Robart, I could see that strap breaking and sending a bottle flying. Same with the jigsaw and other ideas out there. I'm happy with this selection.
  • I picked it up from his Etsy site. Got the one with 2 different cups.