visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• i don't either, and i'm butthurt about it....
    got the roof panels off last night, and tonight i'll work on the right end elevation.
  • i removed the entire roof and veranda and re-secured the veranda. hopefully tonight i'll be able to finish up the roof. i have to make a cradle to hold the structure upside down for a few reasons, not the least being i've decided it needs some exterior lighting. i'm gonna send an email to evans design and see if he can set me up.
  • thang ya..thang ya verah much...... [takes bow. ed kicks him in the ass]
  • edited July 2020
    i spent a couple hours last night graining, staining and cutting 2 x 10s for rafter tails and installing them (alot of them). i put the roof panels in place to see how the rafter tails would look, and you can't even *f*ing see them because the shingles extend so far down.
    oh well, i know they're there.
  • lights came and i got one of them hooked up. it's not secured in its hole, but at least i got it to work. these lights from evans are unbelievably simple to hook up. if you can solder two wires you can do it. it's that simple.
    this is the one in the front of the tackle shop. i have one for the rear too but i have to order a new resistor harness. (i screwed it up)

i just learned that you can run up to fifty of their pico leds on a 9v battery. i'm down wih that. hell, i've been shocking my tongue on 9v batteries all my life to see if i maybe had one that wasn't dead that i could put in my pedal cuz i forgot to change it and the gig starts in 5 minutes, so i'm pretty sure i won't get electrocuted.....
    diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.gooseneck 2

gooseneck 1
  • Way to go there Kevin good job.
  • That is why they call him Sunshine.
  • I really like those Evans Design lights....as you said....simple to hook up and the brightness is right on....
  • i ordered two more gooseneck lamps that i plan on jiggering into streetlamps. ngineering sells streetlamp kits, but holy cow, it's an involved process that i don't care to undertake at this point.
  • leave me alone ya big bully.....
  • The hardest part of the ngineering gooseneck is to make sure you don't drill the hole on the shade too big. I use a pair of 1/4" bolts to get the bend in mine. If you look at them closely you do see a bit of an angle to the bend though.
  • bryan,
    these seem so much simpler. i don't know if that's a high price, cuz i don't know of anyone else selling them.
    https://evandesigns.com/products/goose-neck-lamp?_pos=1&_sid=4ed96c933&_ss=r
  • I talked with the guys at Evansdesign earlier this week as I had just ordered more LED's and goosenecks from them. I asked about them manufacturing the goosenecks and they admitted that it was ridiculous at first. They have a production house that makes them now. The wire is even finer than the other LED's to go through that tiny tubing. Well worth the cost of having them do that part for you....Rick
  • It is the Evans Design goosenecks over the doors in my most recent post of the foundry.
  • Just bought 4 look nice.
  • carl,
    they really do look nice. i have two more on order.
    what do you think about mounting one on a light pole for a parking lot light?
    of course that would mean pulling the led wires out of the gooseneck, cutting the gooseneck and trying to feed those tiny wires back through it.
    i'll let you go first...... :)
  • Kevin.
    When I get them I bought the small ones so I will let you know.
  • In my conversation with them, they mentioned they have to insert the wiring BEFORE they bend the tubing. The bend deforms the inside just enough to capture the wire. You won't be able to re-thread the wire.....Rick
  • that's good to know, thanks rick. do you think it's possible to cut the tubing without cutting the wires?
  • It would require rolling the tubing under the cutter similar to a copper pipe cutting technique until it is scored deep enough you can break off the last part of the cut like styrene. Tricky, but possible.....Rick
  • There's another company that makes lighting.....goosenecks in particular.....Ogre Lighting....pretty sure thats the name.....not near the shop to check on that though...
  • rick,
    its ogre lighting. i think i'm gonna place an order.
  • They have the same simplicity and resistors are available too. I got some of the rust ones along with the green ones. I got mine at the Springfield Mass. show a few years back.....
  • edited July 2020
    me too, but you have to be careful when ordering, because some are bendable and some are not.
  • watched it.
  • i ordered a 22"x32"x7mm piece of glass for my worktop to replace the one that snapped a few months ago. picking it up friday. searched on line for it first, and was getting prices upwards of $160. emailed a local glass company and got it for $41.00.
  • when i was married to #2, we were at a friend's house, and our 4 year old was running around down in the basement and crashed into the glass door on my buddy's entertainment center. ( the door was open) what a sound. kinda like the sound i made yesterday when i threw my old work top in the garbage and whacked it with a hammer to bust it up.
  • Kevin, when you say , number 2, I know it's inappropriate ta ask at what number you're now, but the question sneaked in my mind.... Just funny. :blush:
    Nice work you're doing by the way. That is with the build. I couldn't tell what you're doing with the women... :wink:
  • robert,
    i made it as far as #3......
    i'm stopping there.
    thanks for the kind words.