visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

My Second Diorama - Wood Cutters Shack

12345679»

Comments

• First rate.
  • Outstanding Alex! You are really pushing me towards starting on my Wood Cutter's Shack. I am in the middle of 5 unfinished projects already so another one is probably not a good idea. That's what happens with ADD but I like to think of it as the ability to multi-task!
  • John,

I understand where you're coming from. As can be seen by this build thread, i've gotten side tracked a bit here and there. However, the other random parts in this thread that arent used here will likely be used in my next diorama.

I won't start anything else new until this project is completed though (even though i have several ideas ect..).
  • Here are a few photos from this evening. I glued down the trees on the shed/shack side of the track. All of the trees on the little hill across the track are just staked in. I thought i would take the diorama outside for a few photos now that it's getting closer to being completed.

The last thing I'm working on is a junk pile that can be seen in the first photo...

Also, while posting this i have come to the realization that i need to re-do the stump that the lantern is on..

IMG_5217
    IMG_5207
    IMG_5209
    IMG_5216
    IMG_5213
    IMG_5203
    IMG_5199
    IMG_5201
  • Alex, you have finished an incredible build. More closeup photos would be great in the sunlight, but you have shown us so much during the process. All the additional mini-scenes that tell a much larger story. The entire diorama is truly a complete cohesive scene that would take a long time to see it all. Many cudos to a superb job....Rick
  • Looks great , perfect !
  • Splendid!
  • Great work! The textures, debris, and clutter really make the scene come to life!
  • The simplicity of the layout and design allows the artistry to shine through. This is a paradigm for all to emulate.
  • Alex,
    Where did you end up buying the trees? I looked back at a few threads but probably missed it. They sure look good.
  • I love it! Every bit of it.

I've been wondering, but have not been able to see it on any of your photos...did you put spike holes in the ties where the rail was removed? Admittedly a very minor detail, but thats where your level of detail is at...the tiniest of details.
  • I figured the best way to simulate track that's been removed was to lay it, then remove it..

IMG_5274
    IMG_5275
    IMG_5276
  • Of course you did. Silly of me to question it.
  • No worries, i would say I'm solidly still in the learner category..

I'd rather you ask about something than not.
  • The foot of the rail is shiny in these photos. Did you rust the sides of the main and the tops of the abandoned?...Rick
  • Rick,

I got pre-weathered track. I didnt do any additional weathering. I did try to buff the top of the main line. But, i dont have a dremmel and think that's what it will take. I have some track rust chalk i could put on the old rail.
  • Ed,

Yes it is.
  • Here are some close up photos. a few with the LED's lit. Please keep in mind the fire place inside the shack in on a falsher module. So, while in the still photo it's lit it's actually variably dimming while powered like in the youtube video previously in this thread.

I hope you enjoy. I "think" i'm about done with this diorma.

IMG_5289
    IMG_5290
    IMG_5278
    IMG_5283
    IMG_5285
    IMG_5287
    IMG_5293
    IMG_5292
    IMG_5281
  • A Bright Boy or equivalent will shine the rail head. No Dremel needed. I have used the pre-weathered ME rail, but prefer to buy the unweathered and add my own. The weathered rail works in dioramas, but is very difficult to solder to if used on a layout. The camera highlights that tiny bit of shiny you will never see viewing it in person.

That said, your build is incredible and the few comments of little things are just that...little. It's your build. You need to be the one happy. I think all of us who have commented are truly amazed this is only your 2nd diorama. Very well done...Rick
  • There there wonderful job.
  • Very nice details. Beautiful atmosphere.
  • A #2 pencil or "steel" weathering powder will give the top of the rail a nice shine.
  • Great work! Really has that backwoodsy feel! Love the debris and texture of scenery!
  • Hey Alex, you have done a very nice job with this diorama, and I sure like your forest floor. I am currently doing scenery work on my layout around my sawmill, and am doing a lot of different forest floor. I will post some pictures later on.
  • Alex, you have done a fantastic job capturing the feeling of a backwoods operation. The detailing and weathering are outstanding. I've watched many logging operations videos and you've recreated very convincing scenes loaded with logging junk. No wonder they say that the best job to have back in those days was working for a logging railroad. Keep up the good work.
  • Alex, you have really done a good job recreating how cluttered the ground would be around a woodcutter's shack. Great job. Phil
  • Some good looking scenes you made there!!!!
  • i haven't visited this thread in a long time. holy crap dude!
  • Beautiful scene. Thanks for sharing.