visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• i had a lousy night last night and didn't sleep very well. i was up and down all night, but at some point i finally fell asleep. i rarely remember any dreams, but last night i dreamt that i went to swap meet or something like that, and i found a sealed box of blue sky and bought it for $40.
    i wish......
  • That was my Blue Sky and I want it BACK.
  • $45 first
  • On the way.
  • pinch me....
  • edited June 2020
    my initial idea of applying the ridge caps to the roofs before i glue them to the main structure isn't going to work. i'll be able to do the caps on the north-south roof off of the building (and will today) but not the main roof panels. i applied the fascia boards to the north south roof last night, and added some bracing to the large roof panels and marked where i'll put bracing on the north south roof to provide glue points for the main roof panels, but i'll need to do the ridge caps on the main roof in situ (not gonna be fun or easy). once the roofs are glued to the structure it'll be time to glue the structure to the base and add the balcony structure to it. then it's on to the diorama base etc.
  • edited June 2020
    i never said this would be a quick build. little did i know when i first decided to do it that it would become this monster project. i think the building itself is around 60% of the diorama in total because i'm lookin at a parking area in back, piers and slips, obviously a water scene with a few boats,....so i suppose it could stretch past year, but i doubt two years.....
    i hope.
    i have always said that van morrison uses his throat the same way he would play a sax. his vocals are like sax solos.....
  • Hey.
    I have played Sax for ever and NO ONE called me Van Morrison.
  • i liked it last night too.
    finished the ridge cap on the gable roof and glued it to the main building. that's a milesone!
    gable roof glued to building 1
    gable roof glued to building 2

i'll let the glue set up until tonight and i'll glue in the ridge board (1/4" x 1/4"), and when that sets up i can glue on the roof panels and gable fascia and then the building to the base and the balcony structure to the building/base.
    i also cut the angle on the chimney and primed it. i had two chimneys like the prototype, but i screwed it up and cut it too short so i'm gonna buck the prototype a bit.
    the finish line is getting closer....
  • Do you still have plans of installing this on a layout? I seem to remember that being the initial thought.
  • that's the hopeful plan....
    basically a large functioning diorama.
  • I'm thinking of starting a new Olympic event called the 50 meter mosey. Not really a timed event, but judged on style. It's hard to mosey any further than 50 meters also.
  • edited June 2020
    i'm a pretty good moseyier
  • You can mosey. I will saunter.
  • saunter away.

amazing how quickly this thread can digress.....
  • nah, it's cool.. i was just commenting on how easily we get derailed.
  • Thread? It is more like a real long rope.
  • that it is....
  • Now me my post's are like a very small pice of fiber.
  • and away we go....
  • here's what's been going on....
    i ordered some stencil sets so i could emblazon NORTON'S across the roof. i ordered 4 different sizes just in case. but....when i was a yoot, when you got stencils each letter and symbol were on a separate card. oh no they're not!! nowadays, all the letters and symbols are cast into a single sheet of plastic. well that was a kick in the head....

so i ended up drawing a level line across a sheet of thin chipboard and tracing the letters on the damn chipboard, and then cutting them out with a #11. this took me two hours.
    stencil

and then i did this:

nortons roof panel glued
    the roof panel is glued to bracing i added for glue points, and to the 1/4" stock ridge board, and the edges of the two gables.

i put the letters there because a) there's another roof coming off of that roof and over balcony, and b) because they will more centered on that roof.
    timers beeping. time to flip the burgers.

• Rooster or Hen?
  • Now we know who owns the joint.
  • i made a decision this morning. i won't be using the builders in scale ridge cap shingles because there's no way in hell i would be able to keep them straight. the gap between the front and rear panel is too great, and i am not going to be able to add anymore shingles to the panels because i won't be able to trim them so, i've decided to use 1 x 10s to cap the ridge. hopefully i'll get to it today.
    i can add another row of shingles to the rear panel and i will do that today also.
  • I hate roofing. My back never could get used to it. That was the real world. Modeling roofing can be almost as frustrating at times. Kevin you are on track to finish all that huge roof. Looking good....Rick
  • rick,
    i hated roofing so much i threw my esling hammer in a pond.
  • here's another one. a day after gluing the roof panels on, i'm removing them. the right end of the structure is too low and it's obvious when you look at the roof line.
    jeez......i just wanna finish this monster.
  • i've got gummies, no worries.
    i brushed some water on where i could and i'll go back downstairs in about a half an hour (since the cubs aren't playing) and add more water. i was able to get the end loose, but i'm having a bit of trouble along the ridge and in the valleys. i'll get it.
  • Chain saw