visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Boiler & Welding Shop

Well, I have just started the welding & boiler shop of the Railroad Camp kit. This is the first time I have tried doing peeling paint and I used the mineral spirit method. Interesting results. I thought the white was a bit too intense so gave the wall a quick AI wash to tone it down. Now it is a bit grey but better than the stark white look. Those of you who know the kit know the top area of the wall will be shingled so I am concentrating on the lower section.

Let me know what you think of the start so far. Open to any suggestions.

Rick

Front wall

Comments

• From this pic, it’s hard to say if this is peeling paint. I might be looking for a 50/50 paint/bare wood result myself. Upper left corner might be a good result. I can’t tell if the peeling effect is consistently and equally distributed across the wall. Having said all that, I don’t know what you’d do to enhance the peeling while maintaining the peeled paint look. Hope others have some tricks up their sleeves.
  • As you noted, the photo is a bit far away so here is a much closer look at one area.

Rick

Front wall 2
  • Is the "mineral spirit method" described in detail somewhere? I've seen it mentioned several times but I don't remember seeing step 1, step 2, etc.
  • The technique is described in a post titled "Mineral Spirits Method". You can find it near the top of page 2 of recent discussions.

Rick
  • I did a few boards at a time. I had them on a popsicle stick with double stick tape. Just enough boards to be the width of the scotch tape when peeling. I did use an very slightly off white paint. Of course no 2 batches came out the same. I'm not sure what I think from a distance, but up close I kinda like it. The door including the frame is a casting so the paint effect there uses the wet brush technique. They look almost the same.

Rick
  • As you noted, the photo is a bit far away so here is a much closer look at one area.

Rick

Front wall 2

Now this looks like the real deal! Nothing wrong here.
  • Looks very good! I don't think the color is too bright. If you don't like that bright of a white next time around you might try an antique white, ivory, cream. It ix called by many names, just find a color that suits you. I like the effect you have achieved.
  • Nice peeling effect.
  • Rick,

The close up photo of the wall makes it look like you have a great start on this kit.
    Looking forward to more photos as you progress.

Later Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I really like the peeling paint (and I've done ALOT of it), you've got a very realistic look to yours.
    Also, I don't think the white is too stark at all at this point, paint was different all those years ago and held its colour much better. Once you have the structure/walls together you can do a final weathering/dulling and it will all blend much better then, in all the right places.

Also remember, because the boards are horizontal instead of vertical they peel differently in the real world, due to the rain, etc, running against the grain as opposed to with it(if they were vertical), which creates a whole different peel.

I like it, a lot.
  • Oh, and I'd never guess that door was a casting, you've matched it extremely well to the walls, blends beautifully.
  • Very nice pealing paint! You must have a lot of patience - it looks like you put a lot of time in on it.
  • Thanks all for your encouragement. I feel better about what I see. Just took a bit of getting used to it.
    Jay, the peeling paint process isn't that time consuming. I have maybe a couple hours doing all the boards for the entire build. The key is keep at it with a little experimentation as you go. No two batches react quite the same. Some I had to do the scotch tape a couple times using a burnishing tool to take press the tape harder into the stubborn paint sections. This is my first attempt at peeling paint so that shows it can be learned quickly. Didn't throw any boards away. Just had to rework a few.

Rick
  • Rick, Looks really good. Think you achieved a very natural peel. The only thing I would do if it were mine is take my #11 and run it down each grain line on the vertical door frames. There are a few spots that look real thick and can't see the grain. Just a bit so it blends better with the rest of the "boards".
  • I will echo this comment. Nice work !!
  • I love Ken's eagle eye. Thank you for seeing the little things that can be improved.
    Robert, you and Ken do some of the most believable modeling out there. Thank you for your support.

Rick
  • Looks fantastic Rick, peeling paint is superbly done.
  • Thanks Boss.
  • Outstanding work. Phil
  • Nice peeling paint effect.
  • Great work on the paint !!! Or what's left of it.. :smiley:
  • I have made progress. I started to use the paper shingles and realized I have spoiled myself. I had to do real cedar shingles. Lots of time with the chopper. The walls are together and ready for me to start detailing and add the roof and lighting...Rick

IMG_0618
    IMG_0619
    IMG_0620
    IMG_0621

• Hey Rick, you got the peeling paint technique down very well. Nice job!
  • Ed, I have to agree with you about the dark vertical siding. When I built this kit, I assumed that the original siding let in the wind so they put more boards over the old. But that obviously didn’t work because a lot of it fell off! Maybe it needs to be made more decrepit and weathered? Or if one is really bold, remove it. It is distracting without a backstory.
  • Come on Ed, the only way to have a Philly Cheese steak is with Cheez wiz. You don't know what you are missing
  • I guess your respect for me will stay diminished now Ed, because I can't endorse your hoagie nor Starbucks coffee.
  • So hearing your opinions that I do respect. I wasn't sure of the look either. I looked at it and tried to pry up a board. It would have torn the wall up. So I soaked it with alcohol for a bit to loosen the white glue and it finally came up. I removed the boards from this one wall to see what I think. You can definitely see where they were, but I think it adds a bit of character at the same time. That leaves 2 other walls. The wall that has the forge I think I will leave. That wall would take a terrible beating from the heat plus elements so the extra siding makes more sense there. The third wall will possibly be the back wall on the layout out of site, but will peel it anyway. What do you think with the obvious scars....Rick

WALL
  • But Cheez Wiz on a Philly Cheese? Really?...Rick
  • You bet!
  • So I reworked the other 2 walls. The first removing the vertical boards and the second lightening them up a bit. Not as dramatic. I'll add a bit of soot behind the forge stack. Do you like the walls better without the vertical boards?....Rick

WALL2
    WALL3