visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Deer Creek Mine/My new Sierra West Layout

Comments

• Super work !!
  • Looks good no matter the configuration.

We've all done things like gluing things in the wrong spot more than once. If you feel like you want to change it around, try small amounts of rubbing alcohol on the glued joint. Let it loosen the glue then use a #11 to pick the glue out.
  • Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it all come together with scenery.
  • Looks great Phil.
    Really makes me want to build this kit.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments. I'm now going into the creative stage of this kit. As I told you, the mine will be located in the foothills of an unknown location where water is scarce. No regular pictures until I'm finished, but I will post of teaser pictures from time to time. This, of course, will take some time. Phil
  • Great job Phil
  • It's been awhile since I posted an update. I'm actually working on the mine, but I'm in the middle of designing the layout and working on scenery. As promised, below is my first teaser of my desert scene. Thanks for following. Phil

IMG_7405
  • It's a tease alright. Like a movie trailer, I want to see more....Rick
  • Ouch!...towel..nose bleed...

Looks good Phil. Love your wood treatment, nice old bleached and dry timbers...perfect for the desert locale...Ken
  • Ok, I'm moving at a glacial pace, but I'm making good progress and not compromising attention to detail. Here is another teaser.IMG_2067

Notice the rail spikes in the foreground (they are a bit out of focus). I did not want to deal with actual spikes and all that entails, so I used Canopy glue and built it up, followed by painting a dark metal color and then weathered. It's a lot easier and I believe it looks like the real thing. Phil
  • I love this scene as it looks great and is something I've yet to do on my layout. I have to start finishing scenes entirely before moving on to the next section. You can never have enogh clutter!
  • Phil, enough teasing! We want the glacier to melt quickly!..Seriously, great work. Rick
  • Wonderful scene
  • Looks very natural. Well done..
  • Looks great Phil
  • the last picture is a great little scene Phil
  • Thanks for all the wonderful comments. Trust me, I'm trying to get to the end of this multi-year build. However, I'm aiming for unique which takes a bit longer. More to follow. Phil
  • Ok, another teaser. I need to get the roof on the boiler and the hoist house. IMG_2069

Phil
  • Here is my final teaser. Technically, I am finished with the mine except making minor changes as I look through the magnifying glass. For example, on the tank stand, I need to tone down the weathering glob I created. The only thing left to do is to add more desert scenery and finalize the build. Once I do this, I will share pictures of the build. I have a neighbor who is a professional photographer and he is going to give me a lesson in macro photography. Stay tuned!! Phil

IMG_2143
  • this is some very good modeling Phil
  • Anxious to see the final results. Your modeling is superb. Rick
  • Great scene! Can't wait to see more pics of the completed dio.
  • Looks very natural. Nice work Rick !!
  • That looks great!
  • Getting near the end of this build. I lied. Below is my final teeser to give you an idea of my topography. Next photos will be of the complete build. Thanks for following. Phil
    IMG_2145 (2)
  • Nice shot Phil, anxious to see more.
  • Teasers! We want to see it. I have my Coke and popcorn ready.....Rick
  • The build of this great kit is finally completed. I am very proud of the result. See my separate thread entitled, "Deer Creek Mine in the Desert - Final Photos." Thanks for following me on this multi-year journey. The next build will be much faster since I'm retired. Phil