visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Stump Creek Dueling Shacks

A job relocation to the Windy City has kept me from posting in quite awhile but that hasn't prevented me from enjoying the great modeling and incredible modelers of the Sierra West Forum. I wanted to ease my way back in and I thought that there would be no better way than with the Dueling Shacks Kit. I realize I have a couple of other discussions open and I will be getting those updated as well in the coming weeks.

I'm going to start with the Wood Shack first.
The wire brushes I use to weather the wood are the usual tools recommended by Brett and used numerous times in the forum.

IMG_4609

The technique I like best for graining wood is the file card. I grab several boards with my right hand and press them down with my left finger while dragging them across the top of the file card.

IMG_4608

I wanted the color of the boards to be similar to the boards on my unfinished Stump Creek Lumber RR Office. I used Rembrandt pastels: 331.5 Madder Lake Deep and 234.5 Raw Sienna to create the coloration for the lighter boards

IMG_4610

IMG_4611

And 331.5 with 408.5 Raw Umber for the darker boards. I like using a 1/2" chisel brush to apply the alcohol and pastels

IMG_4614

Comments

• I added knots and saw band marks to the wood strips then glued them to the walls. With the boards glued to the walls, I washed all the boards with a light wash of alcohol and Raw Umber powder to better blend the various shades.

IMG_4628
  • Off to a good start.
  • Love the coloring!

Jerry
  • Great to see you back Steve. Off to a wonderful start!
  • Thanks so much for the encouragement. It's great to be modeling again with the Sierra West forum. I had a short night tonight but was able to get the fourth wall covered and added the man door. I also added the windows to the side walls. I still have detailing on the doors and windows with door knobs, hinges, window shades, etc.

IMG_4634
  • Great looking walls.
  • I've added the shed doors. I decided to fabricate sone "z" bracing to the outside of the doors to provide some additional interest and a place to mount the hinges. I used two different sizes of brass wire to fabricate the latch. Tomorrow, I'll balance the color variation with a bit more weathering, then add details and signs.

• Looks wonderful Steve, up to your usual high standards. The wood has a lot of character and detail. Looking forward to more progress!
  • Thank you Brett.
    I've made a little progress with details and signs. There is definitely more work to do with details and weathering including fixing that Texaco sign but I thought I would get something posted to keep me motivated.

IMG_5026

IMG_5028
  • Great idea, the handig workbench.
  • i love the wood tones. very nice. robert, that bench is part of the kit.
  • Looks great Steve. Rust weathering on those hinges is excellent
  • Thanks for all the comments! I'm really looking forward to modeling this weekend.The bench is definitely part of the kit but I cut it in half along the center crossbeam. I stopped short of the top so there is overhang on the left side. Thanks Brett for the subtle push to get back to modeling. I am looking forward to moving back to the Railroad Camp build. The coloration of the wood in this shack matches the second story office in my railroad camp and will be a part of the larger diorama.
  • Didn't get a chance to model this weekend. Trying to keep a businesses even those deemed essential in the midst of the pandemic is proving to be a challenge but I was able to get a few hours to myself tonight. I thought it might be fun to mix things up a bit on the shack. I moved the man door from the back wall and replaced one of the side wall windows with the door. I then filled in where I had the door on the back wall.

Next up, I will add the window I removed from the side wall to the back wall and add additional weathering to the boards. With this arrangement, I'm thinking of mounting the shed on a long narrow dock that will sit across the siding from the railroad camp office.

Forgive the poor picture quality. It's getting late here.

IMG_5033
  • Great progress.
  • edited April 2020
    that's a nice idea for this shed. when i built mine i didn't DARE deviate from the excellent instructions. i still really don't deviate. i add things here and there, but i don't deviate.
  • Finally made it back to the work bench. I installed the window in the back wall and some weathered advertising posters. I added a few more cracks and nail holes then did some additional weathering on the boards.

IMG_5037
  • Very well done. Rick
  • I went over the other three walls with additional weathering using alcohol and powdered pastel chalks. I glued the walls together and reinforced all the interior walls with 1/8" square wood just to be sure. The tar paper strips for the roof are made with single ply tissue glued together with adhesive spray then misted with black spray paint and weather with pastels. I have rafters and the stove pipe to add next.

IMG_5042

IMG_5044
  • Nice work on the tarpaper !!
  • I'm with Robert, excellent roof work Steve. I also love the sign weathering.
  • Great job all the way around.

Jerry
  • i would love to know your technique for cutting out round signs. that looks great.
  • Thank you all for the supportive comments. It really helps motivate me to get back to modeling instead of just burying myself with the business.

For the round signs, I use a very sharp pair of Fiskar scissors. First, with an a #11 X-Acto blade I cut the sign out from the sheet in a square. This gives me something to hold while I cut. I then cut very slowly with the scissors usually a small arc at a time. When it’s complete, there are usually a few white irregular edges. For those edges, I use a new #11 blade and my magnifying lenses to clean them up. I guess there is nothing special. It’s just a slow careful process.
  • These are the scissors.

IMG_5045
  • Great build Steve. Love the tarpaper and signs.
  • thanks steve. that's what i do too, but when i do it it never turns out as good as yours did.
  • I added rafters, the stove pipe and weathered the roof. Although after viewing the pictures, I can see a few spots that did a little more work. I used Liquitex heavy body mars black acrylic paint straight out of the tube to add the tar lines. I used a needle to apply it around the patches and the stove pipe.

IMG_5051

IMG_5054

IMG_5050
  • Looks great Steve. Tarpaper is excellent as is the wall coloring.