visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ultimation Sander Review

edited January 2020 in Tools and Supplies
https://www.ultimation.ca

In 2019 a new tool came to my attention, the Ultimation Sander. Several customers of mine had purchased one and were very happy with their new sander. That really piqued my curiosity. Then I received a phone call from an old friend, Al Collins. Al started Mt. Albert Scale Lumber Company back in the 1990’s and was one of my original suppliers when I founded SierraWest. We go back a long way. Al has always been focused first and foremost on quality in everything he has done. Al told me he was responsible for the sander! He asked if I would review the Ultimation Sander and I immediately said yes! About a week later a very heavy, well-packaged box arrived from Canada. I love the fact that the sander is manufactured in Canada.

IMG_0542

After reversing the crank arm it was ready to use. This is an extremely well-made modeling tool, machined to exacting standards and super tight tolerances. The quality is evident before even using it. It feels great, and is small enough to fit on a crowded workbench.

IMG_0544

The Ultimation Sander is a joy to use. It performs one task better than any tool I have ever used. Squaring stripwood ends is an extremely important process in the modeling workflow. The fence is simple to adjust allowing you to precision sand any angle desired, just use a drafting triangle to insure a perfect 90 degree sanding angle. (Or adjust to any angle needed.)

IMG_0598

It is simple to use and uses easily obtained 5inch self-adhesive sanding discs. Al recommends 120 grit. The main disc is rubber edged for fingertip control, the table moves lengthwise to prolong disc life, it also moves sideways to fine tune the gap between the table and disc, and the entire sander can be bolted or clamped down to your workbench.

IMG_0595

IMG_0596

IMG_0594

I am very happy with the Ultimation Sander and it has quickly become an indispensable tool in my workbench. I highly recommend it. Al has informed me he is working on accessories to the sander and I am eager to see what he comes up with next!

Comments

• i agree completely! it's an awesome tool. a bit pricey, but in my opinion well worth it.
    i can't wait to see what the accessories are.
  • nice mood ring boss..... :)
    sexy hands too. stud
  • yeah, it's definitely not inexpensive, however you certainly get what you pay for here. Quality is not cheap!
  • kebmo said:

nice mood ring boss..... :)
    sexy hands too. stud

stop it! Hah!

• I purchased mine at the NNGC in Sacramento. He had one attachment he showed off that I thought would be available by now. Super quality and worth every penny or dollars.
  • Now you did it. I have resisted the temptation to get one of these and now you did a review. For someone like me who can't cut straight to save his life, this might be a requirement.
  • brownbr said:

Now you did it. I have resisted the temptation to get one of these and now you did a review. For someone like me who can't cut straight to save his life, this might be a requirement.

you won't regret it bryan.
  • engine909 said:

Brett,
    He is at it again.

he's BAACK!!
  • kebmo said:

engine909 said:

Brett,
    He is at it again.

he's BAACK!!
    Makes me very happy!

• Happy to see the interest in this great tool.I bought one when first offered and have been using it mostly for squaring ends of strip wood. Recently been building a relatively simple mine kit with lots of bents and timbers angle cuts. It works great for this as well. After this warm up I am planning to put it to use when starting the Deer Creek Mine in the next few days. So no longer need the True Sander... this is much better. Also, no longer use the Chopper, as it has been replaced by the incomparable Byrnes Model Machines Table Saw. Though quite expensive it is a jewel and with use of correct blade selection very small size scale lumber can be cut smoothly. There is also a sliding table accessory which I use all the time now.
  • edited March 2020
    I have a Harbor Freight belt/disc sander that I picked up several years ago for around $100 and it’s anything but “precise”. The sloppy fit for the guide and fence make it almost useless when I need a bunch of accurate angled pieces. I remember thinking “there’s gotta be a better way” the last time I struggled with it. Looks like this one might be the answer.

For those of you who bought an Ultimation, do you have it mounted to your workbench? I saw the video with Al using it and it looked a little top heavy in a couple clips. Right here at 8:37, specifically:

Is that an issue at all?

And it looks like the angle repeater accessory is available.
  • It needs to be bolted or clamped to hold it. I don't have room to keep it on my bench, so clamping when I use it.
  • A friend made me a heavy plywood base, which we then bolted the sander to. We also put rubber feet under the plywood. This seems to hold it in place when doing most jobs on the bench top.

Mike S.
  • I have it sitting on my bench without any clamping and it works great. No issues.
  • Cool, thanks guys!
  • i c-clamped it to my workbench.
  • Don't need to clamp it. Yes, its top heavy, but it doesn't affect its performance. I find this tool exceptional to use for most "true sander" applications
  • Seen it in person...really neat tool....it's just the price....
  • Ed the accountant has spoken;-))
  • bill: i bought a harbor freight chop saw and its crap. if your cutting an angle you can only load the wood from one side, and you can't see the line you marked without contorting your neck and head. on the other hand, aside from not being able to see your line, it works well for cutting square ends. so now that i have the ulimation sander, i mark a line on the board, get the saw lined up as best as i can, make the cut and sand to the line.
    here's a shitty picture of the culprit:
    new acquisition
    $35.00 i'll never get back....
  • Funny you mention their chop saw and not being able to see the line... I have a similar model and here’s how my weekend ended (thanks to my own stupidity and a little help from the saw):

Cut
  • NIce weathering on that finger. Is this a new kit? What scale? :wink:
  • Bill.
    Start saw insert hands in pocket and ask a not so good friend to cut the wood.
  • good strategery carl.... there's a sucker born every minute.
  • when i was a mortgage broker and a client asked me a legal question, my stock answer was, I'm not an attorney but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
  • I guess your other hand didn't know your finger was under the blade!!!!

Jerry
  • edited March 2020
    Man, all this love and support is making me tear up! Wait...hang on. Never mind, my bad. It was the pain meds wearing off!
  • We checked out those saws at Harbor freight, they looked pretty awful. Sorry you got your finger cut, that sucks.
    I like the video of the Ultimation saw repeater accessory. We ordered it and it arrived. Can't wait to give a try, it looks like a nice addition. Thanks for posting the video, I would have never found out about the repeater without the video. It was even hard to find on the website, hopefully that will improve.
  • jim,
    i found it right away.
  • The repeater will be available from Fast Tracks on Monday. It should be on their website on Monday or so I'm told.

Mark