visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Growing Fine Scale Trees

So, my trees. In fact it's all very simple, it only takes a LOT of time. The proces is easy. I start with some branches , roots from the boxwood shrub. I am sure in the US you will have similar stuff growing..

DSCN0707
Then I compile them by glueing selected small branches , which will be eventually the largest on the scale tree, into the trunk. Also selected in function where I will "plant" this future tree.

The smaller branches and twigs are brass wire from electric cables. Starting with about 40 very fine ones together, I twist, divide twist, divide and so on. Soldering each divided part to prevent it from unwinding again.
And this for hours and hours and.... until you are satisfied with the result.

Later all these prefabricated brass branches will be inserted in the trunk and in the bigger box ones. Covering the seems with glue and sanding dust.
Then a base coat of nitro cellulose paint is sprayed on. As a primer for the brass.

IMG_0123

Then it's just a matter of bending, and shaping the branches into a natural position. Then painting, sprinkling sawdust , and repainting the tree.

IMGP2619

IMGP2621

Then adding leaves. Sometimes I use flocking nets, sometimes I glue on small pieces of foam or leaves one by one. I don't like the technique of spraying the tree with glue and then sprinkle on scatter, leaves or whatever. Everything gets covered which can not be the intension.
But this takes a lot of time aswel.

DSCN0674

IMGP2622

DSCN0686

And when I do have branches left over, I just chop them into firewood... :)

DSCN0695

Comments

• Wow! Thanks! You make it seem so easy hahaha! Thank you for the quick response. I have already purchased some wire and will be working on some soon.
  • edited July 2017
    Wonderful tutorial and terrific results! Thanks much Robert I have printed and placed in my techniques binder...
  • wow, how did i miss this thread?? that's a fantastic looking tree. it'd be perfect for a winter tree. it looks great.
  • I just plant a tree.
  • Wonderful tutorial Robert, thank you!
  • Robert.
    All kidding aside the trees are outstanding and a lot of work.
    For me I have a lot of wooded land 50 acres I am always looking for a up routed tree and get the small roots that work for me.
    I am way to old to build one of your trees I may expire while doing them. .......Carl.......
  • Robert, looks better than mother nature
  • The experts always make it look easy. Thank you for the lesson.
  • robert,
    can you please demonstrate how you use these root pieces in making the trees? i can't for the life of me tell where in any of your finished trees those pieces were used.
  • i can't let robert off the hook. i really want to know about his trees. i'm just hoping he'll show us.
  • Guys, I'am making the twisted wire branches for another tree now, and taking pics of the process. So when done, I will put a little tutorial on the forum.. Be patient, ....I am, have to, ... in making hundreds of branches... :smiley:
  • i can hardly wait.....
    thanks robert.
  • Sweet! I am looking forward to seeing this one. Thank you sir.
  • So now he'll have to learn to be patient... :smiley:
  • Robert,

I am certainly looking forward to your tutorial about joining twisted wires to the tree trunks (the actual pieces of trees) as well as the construction of the wire limbs. And finally, how everything gets attached to the actual tree trunk and the extended wire tree trunk while all looking so natural.

Later, Dave S.
  • whatever happened with this thread?
  • Kevin, I wrote an article about the construction of these trees for a Belgian and french magazine. Probably also in the On30 annual. I am still making branches for more trees like I said before. All that in between the scratch building off the Line Shed. I will continue this thread when I translated my article in English. :wink: