visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Dirt, Details & Dioramas... Karl. A

Comments

• Pretty much done with adding the detail to this area now. Once I finish with the other areas I will come back and blend the ground cover more in the pathways and add some final weathering where needed.

Next up will be the fence line with some overgrowth and some details mixed in, more scenery based, till then..

Karl.A
  • Karl the true test of a models quality is how it stands up against camera close ups.

Yours passes with flying colours. Thanks again for taking time to show the step by step process.
  • Karl

Excellent how to. Really like the way your doing the ground work. I'll be needing that very soon. Keep teaching us.

Jerry
  • Superb!!!

Mr. O'Neill hisself, just sos ya know!
  • Hello Karl,

Congratulations on first place for the structures catagory in October. Well deserved.

Thank you for doing this excellent thread. You are an fantastic teacher and all of us continue to be inspired and learn from you. This is perfect timing for me ( a newbie) since I am inching closer to putting together the Logging Essentials Kit.

Everything looks incredably real!!!

I was wondering is it possible to put wheel tracks on the diorama with grout or chaulk?
    If so how would you do it? Is the metal wash tub a metal casting or did you paint it?

I think Kevin, Brett and yourself need to make a DVD or a book of techniques. It would be a huge hit!!!

Jim
  • Nice step by step on a beautiful dio. The layers of details and scenery certainly build a natural scene.
  • edited January 2013
    Just catching up after a couple weeks out of town and WOW! Those first two pictures you posted on Jan 1 are outstanding! Your eye for composition and balance really shows in that scene.

What a way to start the year! Can't wait to see the fence line.

Bill
  • I have had the distinct privilege of watching this beauty come together. Karl HATES detailing dio's and for the life of me cannot understand why. When you get results like he is achieving you just gotta dive in for more... and he is!
  • edited January 2013
    My number 1 scenery problem is dirt roads. Will there be any on the diorama?
    Coming right up Wes....

Jim, I'll be putting some wheel tracks here, and near the tractor in the yard...

Karl.A

• edited May 2023
    Dirt Road / Pathway.

Rather than lowering the ground where I want the road I will generally build up the edges of the road and the center to give the effect.

The first step as with the other scenery stages is to pre-wet the area.

I'll then sprinkle my dark grout colour over this area and build it up to create a shoulder next to the roadway.

Working in small sections I will continue to do this along the length of the roadway. building it up and maybe adding in a few small 'rocks' to the base layer.

I will then generally run some dilute glue over the area.
    The next layer will be the ground up moss as seen earlier, the finest first leading up to a light sprinkle of the most coarse. That will complete my first 'dirt' layer.

I like to use the Woodland scenics 'polyfibre' to add some depth to my base layer. I use this NOT as described on the packet.
    Tearing off a small piece I will stretch and tease it until it is VERY light and airy, also stretched to the rough shape of its intended location.

More dilute glue is dribbled onto the work area and the polyfibre is lain ontop. I will then press the polyfibre down into the glue which will eliminate almost all of the stray fibres sticking up. I take my time on this using a fingertip to make sure it is all down.

As the glue dries the polyfibre will lift slightly and the glue will dry away leaving a light airy ground base.

The last step in my basic ground cover is to sprinkle some ground up moss and a small amount of WS fine turf over the wet compressed poly fibre.
    This prevents the area looking too green and blends the polyfibre back down into the dirt.

More later..........

Karl.A
  • How does the glue mixture work out for you. I have had troubles in the past with it being shiny after drying. I've been using matte medium instead but sometimes get a white tint to the area.
  • Hi Bryan,
    I've never had trouble with any sheen from the glue.

The white tints are possibly caused by the talc which is added to matte medium. You can decant the matte medium to reduce/eliminate this.
    Also, never shake your bottle of matte medium before using it as this will disperse any white sediment throughout your solution.

Karl.A
  • Never thought of doing my roads by building the shoulder and middle sections up.

Great idea Karl.

Thanks
  • Repeat the process of layers for the other shoulder and some in the middle to complete the dirt road.
    Some higher bushes and shrubbery can now be added if desired.

Karl.A
  • Did a quick search but didn't find it, what type/brand/color(s) of grout do you use?
  • Mike,

I am using Polyblend sanded grout available from HomeDepot or similar though the brand shouldnt make any difference.

The colours I am using are Linen ---- basically an off white
    and Summer Wheat ----- a light brown.

My base layer is made up from a dry blend of 1 part Summer Wheat to two parts Linen.

Karl.A
  • Love that dog Kennel Karl. Very neat touch.
  • Go to your local tile store and ask for "Sanded Grout" and pick the colour you want. I purchased a light sand. Comes in a tub about 2 pounds.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Wes,

Karl.A
  • Love that pole Karl.
  • Thanks Alan,
    just chalk and alcohol as per Brett...

Karl.A
  • Love the vegetation in this shot, what products/manufacturer(s)? You have any rules of thumb when deciding what kind of variation to shoot for?
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Mike, there is a basic mixture of Woodland Scenics and dried flower stalks.
    I'll answer more detailed in the next process post as I took pics of most things while I was working on the fenceline area.

Karl.A
  • you can almost smell the scene it looks so real Mr. A...
  • Karl- The road looks great with all the different textures. Can't wait to see more.
    Jim
  • Karl, Being new to this level of modeling, your thread has been a pleasure to absorb and study. I learn a great deal by just sitting and mulling over each picture and see how many subtle details I can pick out to help me become a more accomplished modeler. Like the red paint can on the bench that was obviously moved and left a residual ring of red paint....those couple of corners are dripping with details...love it...-K
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks indeed Brett, Jim and Ken,

Yes Ken, Brett unquestionably makes the best details....
    The dio is almost finished, a couple more step-by-step posts and then a plethera of photos.
    Glad to read you have enjoyed it so far.

Karl.A
  • Love the paint stains on the bench Karl.
  • Finally getting around to posting info on the two fencelines.

Generally these areas are less well trodden and therefor more varied and larger vegetation can be used.

Before starting to add the scenery I will place some scrap sticks into the holes where the fence posts go.

I'll start off with the basic layers as before. Sprinkling on the darker grout colour to define the area and then adding in some of the finest ground up moss for a little texture.
    This is done dry and then dilute glue added to fix in place.

Now it is time for some greenery....
  • I like to use the woodland scenics polyfibre as mentioned earlier to produce a light airy weedy texture.

Stretched nice and thin...

and pushed down into the wet base layer.

I will now add in some of the larger details pushed down into the dirt/weeds.