visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Exact 1/48th Scale Trucks and Other Vehicles

edited September 2019 in O Scale Builds
As we know, actual 1/48th scale in vehicles are NOT easy to find. And I've tried 1/43, really tried, and it just does not read to my eyes.

Here is one build I'm proud of because it helps create the fictional narrative of my Maine mill town in 1956. Cheers! PLEASE show your efforts in this direction. We need all the help we can get, right?

IMG_4347

Comments

• In a location on the layout.
    IMG_5422
  • It is right where it belongs . It contributes to the atmosphere that you want.
  • Nice looking truck.

But who makes the truck??

Jerry
  • the million dollar question....
  • edited September 2019
    It looks like the Bershire Valley dump truck.
    Frank
  • I made that truck! That is the entire point of this thread.
  • The cab and wheels are from an old WW kit, now out of business.
  • Same as this.

IMG_5112
  • And the veg vendor in a scene.

IMG_6258
  • Wow, I can see this was a popular idea. Ha, ha, ha!

IMG_0660
  • Eric,

It may well become a great topic. Give it some time to germinate and for members to dig back into their stash of completed models boxed up somewhere out in their garage or basement. I for one have some HO scale vehicles I completed about 25 years ago but for the life of me can't recall where I stashed them now that I am building in O-Scale.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Tamiya makes some WW2 era models of mostly military cars in 1/48th scale. They aren't cheap but they are nice models. I've done a few VW beetles
  • MG....it’s an extremely limited focus....for those of us that don’t model ‘exact 1;48’ vehicles it’s hard to contribute ....regardless, nice modeling that you’re posting
    Terry
  • Red skin potatoes? Eagles like them?
  • Just looked at the photo section on my computer for some 1/48th scale vehicle models. The first photo that came up was a project I started a few years ago but have set aside. It is a model of the old Revell Ford pick-up truck. While Revell made three (four) great truck kits they all had the same issue they came with no windshield glazing in the kits. This was critical because the pick-up truck had a more complex shape than the flat windshield found in older vehicles. The solution was to make a wood buck (photo 1) and try to stretch a piece of clear poly sheeting across the form in a vacuum machine offered by Micro Mark. So I bought a vacuum machine and the recommended clear poly to do the task. The major issue I had was that the clear poly turned foggy (see photo below) after the vacuum operation as seen in photo 1. Somewhat disappointing. Haven't figured out a way to correct that issue so I haven't moved ahead yet. Maybe I should just move ahead and let the windshield be foggy but at this time I'm still not willing to make that compromise.
    Any suggestions on how to form a correctly shaped clear windshield will be more than welcome.
    Photo !:
    Revell 1950s Ford Pick-Up Truck Windshield cr1

Here are three of the kits that Revell offered: (there was actually a fourth kit of a moving van that seems to be as scarce as hen's teeth). The stake bed truck has a windshield similar to the pick-up truck, while the cab over gas truck had a more simple flat windshield. (See photo 2 for the kits I have purchased at swap meets to date.)
    Photo 2:
    Revell 1_48th Truck Kits r1

Have a few ideas in the cooker for a bash of the Revell COE Gas Truck kit.

Later, Dave S, Tucson, AZ

• Dave, I have this kit as well. Let's build them together and show progress. You in?
  • Eric,

Which Revell kit are you referring to?

My time to build would be somewhat sporadic and limited because of other commitments. Otherwise, I am interested. Note: I am a slow builder even when things are going at their best.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Dave, any of those kits. No worry about the time. In our hobby there is NO time!
  • i'm pretty sure that middle revel pickup truck is the last vehicle model they offer in 1/48. i really don't like that it didn't come with a windshield. what a cop out.... even if they made it as ridiculously thick as walthers windows on their structures, it would have at least been something.....
    rant over.
  • Eric,

I think I will probably start on the Revell 1956 Ford Pick-Up truck since I have a windshield (of sorts) in place on my test model (as seen in my earlier post). However, as we modelers know all to well, the only thing slower than watching paint (or glue for that matter) dry is waiting for paint or supplies to be delivered across country.

Before I attempt to do the 1955 Chevy 2-Ton Stake Truck I will want to try to make a windshield for it as I did for the 1956 Ford Pick-Up Truck. That is a slow very time consuming process. Test fit, sand, test fit, sand again and again and then some more. Then attempt to form a curved windshield out of clear sheet styrene in a vacuum form machine that will fit the opening in the model.

One thing I have noticed is that the test form I made for the 1956 Ford is practically the same size and contour as the 1955 Chevy will require. It is possibly a tad bit wider and possibly not tall enough. But that is where the test fit process becomes paramount.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I found the truck thread!
  • This kit is a bear from HELL>

IMG_4156
  • DSC00125
    DSC00123
    To add to your post this is what I have... some still available some you'll have to dig for but this what I bought over the years.
  • edited January 2021
    OMG !!!!! I hope you live to be 100. to build them all .!!! :wink:
  • Craig, have you built any?
  • Here are some built ones!

IMG_9694
    IMG_5800
    IMG_9452
  • And a few more.

Fav
    IMG_0929
    IMG_6325
  • Eric, Sorry to say I haven't built any and stopped buying years ago as you can see I have to much. Being a Gas Station nut I really like your tow truck and the junk coupe scene Nice !!!!
  • excellent work and interesting topic
  • I like the veggie truck and the coupe!