visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging disconnects (Into the Woods)

Comments

• Everything looks even better in the sunlight. Great work!
  • Outstanding modeling!!!!
  • i completely agree. this looks fantastic.
  • Well Bryan you certainly pulled this one together in fine fashion. Beautiful work and well conceived. Scenic work is amazing.
  • Bryan,

What an exquisite diorama. The "spilled beer scene" is one I have never seen before and it is masterfully executed. The LP figures tell the story quite well.

I'll attempt to relate a story told by a member of our Sun City Oro Valley Modelers Club at a club meeting. Dan was a Navy pilot of a PBM after the end of WWII and the beginning of the cold war with Russia. He flew reconnaissance along the east coast of the US looking for Russian subs. On one his missions he was told by a commanding officer to make a stop in Jamaica for some "liquid refreshments" for the Officers' Club back at base. So he and his crew loaded the plane up as full as they could and began their return flight. In flight he had an engine failure. What to do? Jettison the precious cargo of "liquid refreshment" or the kitchen equipment, bunks and misc equipment of the Mariner? Easy decision for Dan. He ordered his crew to jettison the equipment and save the cargo. He thought he'd be court-martialled for certain for destruction of government property, but he did it anyway. End of the story. Dan never heard a peep from a commanding officer or even a hint of courts-martial. I just can't get enough of the stories of WWII vets and other vets who populate our community.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks all. This has been a fun project that incorporated 3 seperate SWSM kits, a bunch of detail parts and the diorama building skills I have learned from many years of building these fine kits. Now if I could ever get to the lights...

Dave, fun story. I recall being in the Air Force back in the 80's and going to an air meet in TX with a bunch of crews from around the world. When the Aussies landed, the first pallet that came off the back of their C-130 was full of XXX lager.
  • Great modeling. Lots of interesting detailed scenes to view and tell stories, and that makes for a great diorama.
  • This is likely the final update on this build. My attempt to learn Circuit Python and program RGBW LED's was a complete failure. I couldn't even make the lights come on let alone program a simiulated 24 hour sequence. I removed those lights and carefully boxed them away in case I want to try again (or pay a teenager) later.

For now, I installed a string of natural white LED's and put them on a dimmer. First pic shows the frame and glass in place. I had this made at Michaels. It turned out fantastic. Oh yeah, had to add a name plate. Then on with the lights.... And finally a pic of the dimmer for those that are interested. I would have preferred internal electronics as I had initially built, but working is better than eye-pleasing.

Now, clear off the workbench and break out the truck repair shop.

IMG_0011
    IMG_0009
    IMG_0007
    IMG_0008
    IMG_0010
  • that turned out excellent. what a nice piece of furniture that's gonna make.
  • Bryan,

Just an outstanding presentation and modeling on this diorama. I can't wait to see what you will do with the next one. Thanks for taking all the time to send the pictures too.

Mike S.
  • What a terrific project
  • A professional presentation. Bravo.
  • Thanks everyone. I have a place to mount it on the wall as soon as I get around to it.
  • bryan,
    if you don't mind, once it's mounted on the wall please share a picture of it in situ.
  • How cool is that!
  • Great project start to finish. Looking forward to what's coming next.
  • A great accomplishment for sure...well done

Terry
  • Something to be very proud of
  • Thanks everyone. It sure was a fun project. Kevin asked for an installed pic so attached are a few pics of final location.

First, this is how I installed the lights. #1 is an aluminum channel angled at 45 degrees and spraypainted brown to hide it. The strip of LED's is inside this channel. It is locked into place with a pair of clips and can be removed easily. #2 shows the wire harness coming out of the lights. I used 2.1mm cannon plugs for quick connects. #3 I used a scrap of the background paper and double sided tape to hide the wire. #4 The screw to mount frame with keyhole hanger shown in pic 2. Pic 3 shows the picture hanger on back of shadow box to secure to wall.

IMG_0141
    IMG_0139
    IMG_0140

The shadow box is mounted on the wall here. I'll add a piece of trim to cover the wire on the wall. The green stripes are sunlight coming in through the blinds. 2nd pic shows the lights on.

IMG_0015
    IMG_0016

These last shots show off the kits that I worked with: Logging disconnects, Dolbeer Donkey, and Dueling Tarpaper Shack. These along with a few of my favorite details on this build on the sawfiler car, the rusted barrel, and the humble pallet (don't get rid of your SW pallet jig). Bear in mind these shots are taken through the glass with the reflection on light in the background. I'm really happy with the way the frame with glass turned out.

IMG_0018
    IMG_0019
    IMG_0020
    IMG_0021
    IMG_0024
    IMG_0025
  • As good as a living painting !! Great and so well done. And all those super details for the viewer to discover.
  • Bryan. That is the best of the best great job. ...Carl......
  • Wow! Would love to see this in person!...
  • Beautiful work!!!

Frank
  • Wow, simply wow!

Mark
  • Amazing project and beautifully presented. Congrats
  • Just a thought on the lighting...I also have several salt water fish tanks....all my lighting is LED. They come as self contained units.....approx. 3-4" wide.....by about 1 1/2" tall....by anywhere from 12" up to 60" long. They are easily programed to run from full daylight....to nighttime purplish blue to no lights at all. Anytime span is possible. FLUVAL is the main manufacturer. Problem is...the large ones are not cheap...
  • Thanks all.

Muddy, I'll look into those.

Brett, if you find yourself in Virginia Beach, stop in.
  • muddy,
    it sounds like your describing actinic lighting.
    i used to have a 150 gal reef tank, and used actinic lighting to highlight the corals.
    bryan,
    this diorama is drop dead gorgeous. will you build me one? heheheh......
  • Bryan, I agree with Kevin, this is a fantastic build. What a masterpiece. I really like your little people and how you brought them to life with the head modifications. I sure would like to see you do a tutorial on that!! Thanks for sharing such a great build.

Geezerbill