visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

So, what's on your workbench ????

Well, modelling season is here, the cold weather has moved in and the temps are down in the 70's.

Yard work is over with for another year and it's back to the modelling workbench.

My plans are to get back to a few kits that have been left unfinished, the "Mill Engine & Boiler House"
the "Woodcutters Shack" and a couple of languishing scratchbuilds.

What do you have that you are either building now or are planning to start on.

It will be great to hear what the rest of you have planned......

Karl.A

Comments

• Well the weather is the other way round down here in South Africa but that doesn't stop me from building.

My plan is to get my blue sky diorama done and hopefully start on the shipyard before the new year. In between those 2 I have a couple of 1/35 military vehicles that I'm busy with as well.

Looking forward to seeing you progress on some of your builds Karl. As always its a treat to see your work.
  • Its about 90 F here in Australia today and predicted to go up to 100 F over the rest of the week with storm clouds hovering.

Still plugging away at the Logging Camp .....
  • Nothing... not a darn thing...

but I will have an O Scale Sawmill on my workbench soon!
  • I forgot about BlueSky Wes, I need to get back to that one too !!

Karl.A
  • Boiler and Mill engine still being incorporated into the roundhouse (2012 a tuff year at my house); Tractor Repair building;
  • Your cold weather is not without humor. It was 25 here this morning so winter has taken hold in Jersey.
    Well with the beach closed. Looks like I'll have to sit down and finish some of the stuff I've started.
    Plus I have a new Tool Shed that I got at the EXPO to do.

Jerry
  • ... The Shipyard of course ...

Paul
  • I have a barrel and a shovel I'm going to start on!

WOOM (worn out old minion)
  • Slow down there Ol' fella, one thing at a time.....

YM
  • Making a push towards a getting the mine finished. Layout scenery largely in place. Backdrop still needs attention.

Project engineer of mine build is feeling the pressure from the mine and railroad owners. wanting to get started with ore production. Railroad finished ahead of schedule with having their rail lines extended to the mine location. Tipple and Headframe are built, mine shaft is drilled.

Engineers are contempleting a change to the hoist house design, possibly mirroring the long building walls in order to have large door showing to the front of the layout. Also considering water tank location to be on front side as well for better viewing angle.

Mine in progress1

Red foam section is still removable, no scenery work done yet, just painted to remove the pink...

Lets see where this one will go....
  • Looks wonderful with the rock work in the background... Love the track running into the portal and under the bin. Great tie-in!
  • 6 months and more have passed...I have made progress - Happy 2018 to everybody out there. Significant progress actually, judging by above picture update. Am for my taste very close finishing up this scene on the layout by adding more castings (Brett supplies so many), adding spillage product around the load out chutes.

I have added and changed a few things around to meet my specific layout challenges. The scene is situated about a foot of the layout edge with backdrop right behind it and no possibility of a 360 degree view. Almost all elements have been positioned to be visible from the viewing side. This led to my own interpretation of positioning some elements designed by Brett. Brett provides a lot of additional wood in various sizes, I could not resist adding a mine office and then a coal dump.

Also, like others on this forum, made the move to a professional printed backdrop. Am I glad for making this descision, really made this scene come alive - thanks to Joey Ricard at Trackside Scenery. He was, like Brett, awesome to work with as this thing was a special order to make the backdrop wall I had installed years ago actually fit.

Mine Boss Alexander (my son is steadily pushing for progress and gives plenty of suggestions - he has earned a role in the scene) is checking on activity's at the mine. You will find him on the stairs down to the mine.

Judge for yourself, am curious about how the Brett's, Karl's, Mike's, Ken's, Ed's and all the other great talent and inspirations will judge.

Overall Sky View
    Mine in progress2

Mine Entrance for off-spec product - empty cars just coming back to ore hopper from mine
    Mine in progress3

Coal dump
    Mine in progress4

Spotted ore cars
    Mine in progress5

Shay arriving at mine
    Mine in progress6

Crossing to tool sheds (still to be build - next up on my to do list - Bretts toolshed and lineside storage shed waiting on my workbench)
    Mine in progress7

Coal dump - different angle
    Mine in progress8
  • Hands down just beautiful my friend!. What a tribute and a stunning backdrop to Brett's Deer Creek Mine kit. Flat out love the setting and your office situated with the walkway traversing up the cliff side is perfect and very well done and thought out. Scenic work is incredible and you're right, the backdrop is awesome...Joey from Tackside Scenery always produces some of the finest scenes in the industry and here a perfect example...seamless transition to your actual scenic work...That road behind the pic-up truck above looks stunning like I could just walk right down the road and around the corner. You should be proud of the work you've done here just wonderful.
  • This sure is a beautiful layout !!!
  • This is a very nice layout. I also like all the different scenes that I see in the photo's and the different stories they tell. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Very nice. Great pictures.

Jerry
  • top notch!
  • Looks awesome
  • Amazing.... the back drop helps tie everything together.... Looks great
  • Outstanding! What a treat to see.
  • Beautiful scene. I look forward to seeing more.
  • I echo everyone else's words here. The backdrop so fits your scene and ties it all together so well. Love the office and hillside stairway to it. Everything is just a treat to see. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Geezerbill