visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Truck Repair Build Thread

Comments

• Talking about detailing ....Even no one will probably notice if they didn't know, it looks great , and YOU know it's there...!!! Nice 'wood' color aswel.
  • Double bonus points to you sir. Now I'm going to go digging through my watch parts container to see if I have any.
  • Joel
    No way is that wasted time. It really makes the hinges look great!
  • If the screws came from a watch it was not a waste of TIME. ........Carl..........
  • Tick-Tock!! Nice job Joel and a great detail.

Jerry
  • Ed you know what happens when I get into that nail polish remover.
  • This weekend I tried to do a bit of work on labeling jars. I've tried many techniques and still I'm not pleased. The best was when I photocopied onto a piece of tissue paper but aside from jamming my printer the best copies were always slightly blurry and less vivid. I decided to try the old method used for signs on buildings and sand the backs of the labels until they are almost see through.rsz_img_4565
    rsz_img_4566
    Then I cut them out with a new blade. If you remember I primed the bottles and cans with white as these thin labels will pick up the colour underneath.rsz_img_4579
    Now some very careful painting and some chalk weatheringIMG_4583
    I feel like I'm getting really close here.
  • Joel,

Another great experiment executed with some fine results. Interesting how the red on the selected details in the second photo didn't bleed through the thinned paper more noticeably.

Are you using Titebond III (waterproof glue) or a similar product to fasten the labels to the details? Surprising that the thinned labels don't pucker when wet with the adhesive.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Kevin,
    The labels turned out really great. The thickness of the paper doesn't show. Great experiment.
  • Dave, the details are the same ones in both photos. I carefully painted around each label in red so the labels are still on white backrounds. I actually just dipped the label in matte varnish ( water based) and they clung to the casting beautifully. I had to reposition one so I put a drop of water on the label and carefully straightened it. Sort of like working with waterslide decals. This is not an simple solution and there is a risk of wrecking the label sheet when sanding or of painting over parts of the label and destroying it trying to get the paint off.
    For a foreground site though I think this extra work is worth it. Personal taste.
  • The extra work pays off for sure !!
  • Joel,

Thanks for that explanation of how you did the labels on the cast detail items painted red. Very effective method in the hands of an experienced modeler.

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/219/X6EYGDBQWN6C.jpg

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Hi Joel

Apologies for the late arrival to the party. Wow what a party it is.

Some wonderful tips being picked up as I read through your build. Look forward to lots more.
  • I think you're on the right track Joel. Looks great despite the very close scrutiny...will look fabulous at scale.
  • Welcome Wes, Thanks Ed, Ken, Dave and Robert.
    Here's my mock of the first interior wall. Still some work to do and some clutter to add but it's getting there. rsz_img_4592
  • jeez....so many how'd you do that questions come to mind......
  • Nice composition and beautifully executed. Bravo !!
  • Excellent! Is that a label on the beer bottle and oil bottle? Not much you could do to make this any better but a rag in the Valvoline box draped over the corner might look right at home.
  • Thanks Keven, Robert and Bryan. Kevin if you have questions ask, nothing complicated here. Robert the composition is entirely Brett's. One thing he is a master of is clutter and usually I don't like to change things just to change them. If they work I use them. I substituted one casting on the upper shelve, I used wooden 2x2 as shelve supports and added the chain holding the tanks in place. Bryan I like the idea of a rag. I am planning on adding some rope draped over the shelf so it might be too much but I don't think there really is TOO much. I love this part of the build.
  • Joel,
    Love the details! The labels turned out very nice! I especially like the cahin holding the welding tanks from falling. Excited to see more.
  • joel,
    I would love to know how you managed to buff that motor on top of the cabinet so cleanly. i'm never able to remove all the blackening from the tight spots.
  • Joel very nice. Do me a favor and put a dirty hand print on the screw jack if you want to. .....Carl........
  • Thanks Carl and Tom. Kevin truth be told I'm not a big buffer. I clean up any parting lines and then pour the castings in a cup with alcohol. I drain the alcohol and tip the castings out on a paper towel and quickly return them to the cup. I pour in the Jax pewter black and swirl the cup for a few seconds then drain and rinse. I only buff the parts that are shiny metal and so far I've done in all with a paper towel. So really I just took that casting out of the solution, rinsed it and let it dry then dabbed on a very thin wash of rust/brown and that was it. Boring long winded answer but I think the key is not letting it get too black in the Jax so it turns a nice dark grey instead of black.
  • thanks joel. sounds easy peasy.
    i think carl snuck down to tampa and swiped some of ed's funny pills.
  • Ed Kevin is picking on me.
  • I added a few things including some "writing" on the labels. a few ropes which I made from multi strand speaker wire. I just used a few inches and removed the insulation and took a single strand bent it to shape and used Jax to blacken (apparently it works well on copper too). A light coat of ivory paint and glue in place. I used the same wire to make a small hanger.rsz_img_4616
    rsz_img_4617
  • Joel, that's a diorama on itself...! The rag is very well done. My attention was drawn to that immediately. As are the ropes. I like the coffee pot :smile:

I only hope people won't bump their heads against the corner of that rusted enamel warning sign when they do enter the authorized personnel area... But then again, they were warned....!!

I kept looking and discovered the very discreet nail holes, the sign on the chain around the tanks..
    Really great stuff man..
  • i totally agree with robert.
  • Your work is outstanding...the only thing I would point out...and it's not just in your work....keep in mind the size of chain you use....we all tend to use way too big (link size) chain. Compare it to the hand of one of the LP that you use. The average length of a link of chain (grade 80) is about the length of a finger on the LP....some of the stuff we use would be overkill on a huge steamship anchor chain....Sorry...this is just a sore point with me....