visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Truck Repair Build Thread

Comments

• Great texture and coloring on the walls. Really like the split board end to the left of the door.
  • Excellent! Can't wait to see more.
  • OK On to the windows. I sometimes have a bit of trouble making these look realistic. First I took the frame pieces and painted them the added grain with the tip of an 11 blade. A bit of CA and already it looks like the interior wood.IMG_4499
    Now the part that I often wreck - broken glass. This time I didn't leave it to my artistic licence and just printed a picture of broken windows and then used a black pen to mark the cracks. Then I reduced the picture so it was the size of the kit windows. I taped the mylar sheet (before cutting out the windows) to my template and just traced over the printed lines. IMG_4504
    And now the results after a bit of dry chalk:rsz_img_4509
    rsz_img_4510
    Still have to work on the outside and remove some grime from the window but it looks better than my usual attempts.
  • Be careful with that broken glass, you might cut yourself !!! :wink: Looks really like ....natural broken glass. Personally, I wouldn't put chalk on the whole surface. I 'd leave a more clear part in the center. I usually take an ear cotton and rub so only in the corners remains some of it. But hey, this looks so nice as is... Mission succeeded.
  • It's tough to get that fine of detail on the broken glass. Nice job. Looks like someone threw a stone through it. If only you had a 3mm stone to complete the story...
  • hey, i've got a 3mm kidney stone! the glass looks great.
  • Very nice work thus far.....love the tones of the wood....have you ever tried the clear glue method to make window glass?....your broken windows look great....
  • looks great! window glass is particularly well done and convincing.
  • Great window Joel.

Jerry
  • Thanks all. Robert you are right I forgot to "wash" the windows with thinner and a q tip. Thanks for that.

Well now on t the trim and the Battens. Pretty straight forward but the batten material is so thin it was a bit harder to grain and I had to use an xacto knife on a few boards. I sorted through all the trim and battens and picked the best to use up front.
    rsz_img_4511
    rsz_img_4513
  • wow. looks awesome!
  • Indeed a magnificent wall.
  • Beautiful wood work Joel. The battens really finish off your stellar work on these walls. Nifty idea on the broken glass by utilizing a pattern.
  • VERY nice.
  • Looking great. Can't wait for you to assemble it and start the detailing of the inside. The castings and laser cut parts Brett includes in the kit are terrific and really make this kit come alive.
  • Thanks again. I too can't wait to delve into that box of hundreds of detail parts. I've almost completed the four walls now.rsz_img_4512
    rsz_img_4514
    So now I get to start some intense detail work.
  • The color and texture of the walls turned out great!
  • Love the windows Joel, that wall is just wonderful!
  • This really is good work. The subtle and natural blend of the colours is excellent,and the knots and distressing of the wood all looks superb to me.

Malcolm
  • I like it a lot. Question: the battens on the short wall that do not reach all the way to the bottom. I assume this represents them breaking off given the water stained bottom of the wall. Shouldn't the battens have a rough, broken end as opposed to a clean cut?
  • Ah Bryan, quite astute as always. The shorter batten represents a lack of measuring properly, big mistake but I really liked the grain on them so I used them where castings will totally block the ends from view. No need to spend time detailing them if no one will ever see them.
  • Just got my kit....ready to hit the bench....love the work you've done so far.....
  • Thank you again. So far so good. Even though there is very little flash and few parting lines to clean up there are so many castings it is taking a while. I blackened most of the metal ones and primed the urethane either khaki or black. I painted many of the bottles white in preparation for affixing labels. It's an experiment and we'll see how it goes.rsz_img_4532
    rsz_img_4525
    I tried another way of priming and was very pleased (this is actually a casting from the office). I primed it black and then after it was completely dry I gave a very light mist of khaki at a sharp angle to try and keep some of the black in the crevices. Pretty neat effect as a basersz_img_4530
  • Joel,

Looking awesome!!!

Frank
  • Thanks everyone for checking in. Not sure if I should bore you with new castings everyday but some of these are just so well detailed and a joy to "paint". For these I used a base of Khaki spray paint and then blotched on various greys and tans. Then instead of ink and alcohol I used black chalk (just a titch) with alcohol to bring out the grain. I tried Roberts suggestion of the pastel pencils and artist stump for some of the highlights. rsz_img_4526
    rsz_img_4529
  • edited May 2019
    Joel,

I, for one, hardly find your experimentation with different techniques of weathering resin castings uninteresting or boring in any way shape or form. Quite the contrary, I find your resourcefulness and technique experimentation to be intensely interesting, thought provocative, educational and broadening. By all means, please continue! I learn something new each time I read one of your postings and look at the accompanying photos.

Thanks for taking the time to post each of your experiments and the photos that illustrate the results.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • I agree with Dave. I like seeing different experiments on finishes for everything including castings. Keep up the good work. If you want bonus points, some smudges from dirty hands might look good around the handles of the cabinet. If you want double bonus points, make some screw heads and install them in the holes in the hinges.

Bryan
  • Joel,
    I enjoy hearing about different techniques. can't have too many tricks in the bag!
  • Thanks Dave, Bryan and Tom I'll continue on my merry way. Still trying to find some screws for those holes Bryan.
  • Ok Bryan I really wish you didn't bring that up but I did find a few watch maker screws and added them to the hinges. A bit of time wasted but it does look a bit better.rsz_img_4546
    Another casting done. There is a brownish/rust colour on the hinges and then I dab a little water mixable oil paint and then blot on some orange chalk:rsz_img_4544