visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• Thanks Kevin I appreciate the comments and your following along with this build.

You bet Stephen and thanks for your thoughts.
  • Ken,

Thanks for sharing your creative genius here on the SWSM Forum. I thoroughly enjoy and regularly learn from your posts, photos and explanations. Looking forward to your future modeling builds here on the forum.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • KKarns said:

The forum response has been outstanding and I thank everyone for their support.

Yeah I suppose over 27,000 views is outstanding!

• Final thoughts on the "Foundry"...
    Some of you may recall Brett's first announcement about his upcoming "foundry" kit. I believe that he used an old family photo as a banner. I was already hooked, and I sent him an old photo of an 1890 ad from a similar foundry on a narrow gauge RR known by a nickname, "Tweetsie". Here is that ad so you can note the broad array of products generated by a foundry. You can easily see how important a foundry is to a regional economy. In fact there were two foundries in that city.
    Perhaps my real theme here is the fact that I hope Brett can revisit the "metal working" theme beyond the upcoming riverfront. A new machine shop is a natural for threading some of the castings produced by the foundry (ala a tribute kit to Brian Nolan' s Ullian's machine shop) or a steam powered power plant with a dynamo for electricity two name two that could be independant concepts.
    Let him know your thoughts.
    Bill
    foundryad1890
  • Ken, thanks for posting the pictures. What can I say ... man ... this is damn good!! I tell you what ... I may like my individual touches, but I can tell you that when I build this kit, I'm going to try to build it just like you did. It is a fantastic build and I wouldn't change a thing. You could plop that baby into my layout (hint, hint) and I wouldn't complain one bit. You are da man!! Phil
  • I have been following along with this outstanding model. Thanks for all of the perfect photos, instructions and tips you have given from the beginning. Great job does not really say enough.

Mike S.
  • My goodness what a fine build. I don't see the hiding man. I spotted his jacket hanging on a post, but no man.

What did you use for your foliage on the tree.
  • Geesh Brett...27,000 views...thanks guys.

Glad you found it helpful Dave and thanks for all your support.

Great stuff BillR, your research is wonderful and I love the spelling of 'Locomotivs"

Well thanks Phil and the diorama would look much better on your layout then sitting on my shelf! I do however, plan to start putting all my dios in the custom made plexiglass display cases that Bryan turned us on to. I hate the idea of them getting dusty/damaged on shelves or hid away in Tupperware containers. Great idea Bryan and thanks much for the tutorial on the display cases...SierraWest Scale Models deserve nothing less!

You bet Mike, and thank you for the comments and following along.

Oh boy! Glad you called me out on that Bryan...he's in there though just hard to see and the scaling of the pictures almost makes it unfair...I posted a close up shot here that will give it away.

The tree foliage is Noch Leaf Flake and can be purchased through Scenic Express.

IMG_5124
  • No fair hiding in a doorway. I was looking close at doors and windows but couldn't find him until now. I think he's lonely.

I have been looking at that leaf flock for a while but never got any. Think now might be the time.
  • Ken excellent work. Could not ask for any finer detail than what you did.

Jerry
  • edited January 2019
    lol...the door is open so he's getting ready to walk in and he actually has a newspaper under his arm! Had to cut through the metal casting as his hand was attached to his side...all that for something that will likely never be seen!

I like the Noch leaves and they come in several different shades.

Thanks Jerry, and I agree...it's all in the details, and the kit delivered that in profusion!
  • Ken,
    Another outstanding build! The finished scenes are outstanding! I have studied them over and over again and see details missed earlier. Thanks for sharing this build and the many personal touches you have added. Inspiring!!!
    Tom
  • Thanks much Tom appreciate the thoughts.
  • All I can say is well done brother.

Your modeling is a true inspiration.
  • What up Wes!...thanks much my good man. It was a blast building this kit, so many new and cool details Brett included here.
  • Really fantastic work as usual Ken. Great job.

-Steve
  • wow. no wonder you're a card carrying member of the swsm official builds club. that's amazing. the puddles in the driveway look so normal you have to notice them. unreal. the stonework looks like a place i used to work decades ago. the broken glass makes it look like it's only busy during the day, but empty at night so the area jackasses can lob rocks at the windows. and the dirt.... oh the dirt. you do dirt well. just an amazing job from top to bottom. what's next on your bench?
  • Thanks Steve and nice hearing from you!

Hey Kevin, love your assessment of the window damage! Gee..."you do dirt well" is hard for my wife to understand is a compliment...cracked me up. Thanks very much for the kind words. The bench is clean and no plans at present...back to the thinking part:)
  • Hi there my friend, you are truly a mad genius! I was walking the track bringing you a beer for a job well done. So many details. The gloves sitting on the box with the bottle is truly an amazing detail. The composition of the diorama and placement of everything is exceptional. I really think the tree is well done and the oil spills on the road in between the building looks great. The fence with the rolled wire is a great touch too. I am having a lot of fun picking out the details. Honestly I could go on and on and on.... I was a little unclear about the diorama case you mentioned that Bryan had told you about. Is it in one of his threads or did I miss it in yours?

I can't wait to see what Brett Karl and yourself do with the riverfront and how that integrates with Oneill's and The Foundary. It will be nice seeing Karl do some building on the forum again. Looking forward to more cool stuff from you.

Jim
  • Hi Ken. Looks like you are getting good at this, A wonderful job from A toZ.
    Your only friend ............Carl..............
  • that, my friend, is a matter of opinion..... :)
  • Yes Ken is the man!!
  • Hey Jim, come sit for a spell..."clink"...wrapped up another of Brett's amazing kits and it was great having you along, and always look forward to hearing from you. Appreciate the kind words and I do enjoy the small details.

Brian illustrated and discussed the clear plexiglass display cases in his O Scale O'Neills build. It's a company that will custom make the display case to your diorama dimensions.

Thanks Carl, just picked up another one below...probably just a pitty friendship!
  • I suggested to my friend in Singapore to buy 2 of this kit....I told him, " most impressive design and great value for money".. Hope to see the kits in a few weeks when I visit SG..
  • Which one Kevin, that I have many friends or...Ed's normal??

Thanks Jim..
  • i was questioning ed's normalness.....
  • As we all are! hehe
  • Hi Ken... I have a "friend ?? " in Singapore who has purchased 2 kits of this SW project. I created a vid of your excellent model presentation and need your permission for the video to remain on You Tube.... I'm happy to delete if required... cheers mate and congrats on a great final diorama......
  • No problem Mario...thanks for taking the time to put it together and appreciate the kind words here.