visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Neal's O scale Build for the Romantics and the Madmen

Comments

• Tie downs are very cool
  • Beautiful work Eric. Love that old truck and such a cool idea for an old boiler.
  • Thanks, Dave! We need our phone call. Lost my oldest friend of 60 years, so I've been a bit gloomy.
  • edited November 2018
    Ken and Dave, for you! The oily end.

Sorry, bud. Photo will not post.

• Nice oily work......
  • Creative use of a great casting. Thanks for sharing. Like Robert says, "Nice oily work."

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Nice detail work, rust effect on that boiler is wonderful! Love the hand tools.
  • The finishes you achieve show off your skill as an artist.
  • The engine is coming together nicely. Such a great model in itself. Looking forward to seeing it come to fruition, its a beautiful piece.
    Looking forward to your next pics.

Karl.A

• Do I look ready?

IMG_1984
  • I think I have everything roughed in color-wise. Once it's together, I can tune the weathering. Frankly I have no clue what I'm doing, but I know God loves a trier.

h
  • edited January 2019
    love the raised roofing.
  • Does a modeler start with bag number 1 of sticks. When I called Brett, I received another school marm lecture. Brett, better delete! You might lose 47 cents!
  • No lecture Eric. Read the instructions. It is all there from start to finish. I am sorry I can't provide you with the answer you are looking for...
  • Eric, your comment is out of bounds and not right for this forum. Let's be civil. Phil
  • I concur, Brett's manuals are the finest examples of fine scale modeling instructions and resource ever produced in the hobby...period! I read the manual cover to cover at least twice before I lift a finger on the build. A spiral bound pack of modeling motivation! I religiously follow the manual from start to finish and have found the instructions impecable for completeness and ease of replicating what I'm reading to what I'm doing. I always embrace the "bag of sticks" as the most important step in a quality build...I love working up the wood!...Deep breath and carry on...
  • Ken,

I take out my manuals from the kits periodically and read them just because they are such great reads and full of great information.

Frank
  • Phil, in the part of northern Maine where I live, we have a phenomena called humor. We also joke around and tease our friends. This is a hobby to me. That means I do it to get away from the bullshite of the everyday grind. I was horsing around with Brett and I'm sure he knows it, although I notice many of you are VERY serious about all this. Anyway, cheers and good modeling! I'll just start with bag one and see what happens. I hate reading instructions.
  • And Phil, what makes you the person who decides what is correct behavior on this forum? And don't you find it a bit unfair to demean my behavior in front of everyone? Do you think I like being segregated and pointed at with an authoritative finger?
  • edited January 2019
    And you m right notice this is my build thread not yours. It's for romantics and madmen. Are you either?
  • I also do that very same thing Frank!...
  • There are no winner's here so may I suggest that we put this to bed and have some fun.............Carl.............
  • edited January 2019
    HELP! Okay, I have a major snag and really need your guys input. In New England, during that construction era (1900s) there would unlikely be knots in the wood. Even white pine was NOT the white pine of today. We live in a 7k foot Victorian. There are NO knots anywhere. Not in the basement joists, beams, etc., which are locust. The clapboards are quarter sawn. NO knots. You buy a clapboard today, Christ you need a gallon of Bin just to cover the knots. Your thoughts please.

Engine Number 9, I'm fully aware this is Brett's business site and attempt to respect it as such, but as I said, my nature as a Mainrer is to horse around. I intend NO ill will. I'm actually not that terrible of a guy. Pretty bad but not terrible. And I began listening to Coltraine in 1970. I actually heard many of the greats like Ornette Coleman, Archie Shepp, Julius Hemphill, etc. live in small coffee houses. That was the music of my teen years.

House
  • edited January 2019
    And . . ., just to make everyone relax, I read the freaking instructions. It was bag number 1! Ha!
  • edited January 2019
    One last note: I am well aware of board and batten siding, but I'm talking just running boards vertically butted side by side. I talked to my buddy Greg. The reason this was done was so nothing collects in the seam, it just runs off. I never understood that. Now I know, so I assume that is why Brett ran the boards vertically. True?
  • To knot or not, that is the question. Who wrote these famous lines?
  • SpongeBob SquarePants..... Episode #453