visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

HO Scale Brass & Iron Foundry Official Forum Build

Comments

• Hi Joel, thanks much and as you know the composition can be the hardest part of any scene work. Always takes me a good bit of time to mull it over, and over, and...

Thanks Ed. I'm broke, can you be my friend anyway?
  • You know Ken, these close up pictures are just awesome. If I didn't know this was a model building thread, I would have thought that this was 1:1 scale
  • Ken,

These additional photos are great. Steve's comment hits the nail right on the head, "If I didn't know this was a model building thread, I would have thought that this was 1:1 scale."

The additional photos help to define the scene from another perspective, almost as if we were standing on the ground looking at the yard outside the shed The final photo in the group especially helps to delineate the details in front of the tempering shed for me
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/385/NU6VCUI7PCHR.jpg
    The placement of the vise on the barrels and the adjustment of the pipe stand to hold the steel bar is incredibly well thought out, designed and executed.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/948/X46YP2POZR3C.jpg

Inspiring build and diorama scene design throughout.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ

• Ken,
    Great scene. The cart is a very nice addition. Your placement of details and creation of little scenes always amazes me. Never tire of seeing your work.
  • I always like the way you use ground texture to mark transitions in scenes. It is very effective. Rail cart is a useful addition.
  • Wow......just....Wow...….did I say....WOW.....
  • great pics, great scenes. question: what comprises the steel stock? styrene? wood?
  • Thanks again Dave, and the ground shots do give a nice perspective and I should have included them right off. Thanks for asking about that!

Brett's pilot model has the Tempering Shed base scene of a barrel, vice and pipe stand which is genius! I just moved it around a bit, added an additional barrel and the "steel" bench top and pointed out the importance of making sure the bar stock, once in the vice jaws, was level. I have made the point before regarding how critically important a detailed pilot model, copious and concise pictures are to facilitate scene construction. This is just another reason, and there are many, that SierraWest kits are in a world class of their own. Everything has a purpose and functionality which is why the whole thing makes sense and not just a bunch of castings strewn around for the sake of taking up space.

Appreciate that Tom. I think folks from the outside looking in, who think the process of scene construction is easy and quick would be amazed at the amount of time this takes...am I right? One of those things where once its right you know it but getting there takes some time. I love this part as this is a prime area where each modeler imparts their own personality to the build. Same kit...no two are alike!

Thanks Bryan and a good subtile point you make.

You did Muddy and I'll take it any day! Thanks.

Hey Kevin, thanks much. The "steel" bar stock is supplied by Brett from two different materials; laser board and card stock. Once again genius, and this gives a variety and each group can be painted a different color and weatered for additional variety. I also cut the "bars" into three different lengths. There are ample amounts of each.
  • Ken. All kidding aside you are doing in HO that people try to do in O scale just outstanding. Can you speed it up a bit you know that I am getting older. ..........Carl.........
  • Carl....what you said about getting older....I’ve written three books about Vietnam and during the process I kept getting emails from my Vet friends saying “Terry, can you write faster....we’re getting older by the day and soon you’ll have no one to read the book”
    Terry
  • So true I will be 76 on the 24 of December,I spent 6 years in the Corps from 1960 to 66. Have a good one. ...Carl......
  • Breath taking man....What a build !!
  • Ken, continued outstanding work. I like the way you think things through and make changes to accommodate that thinking. That's half the fun of building. Phil
  • Hi there Ken, I was back walking along the tracks admiring the amazing work you have done. I was bringing you a cold chilly one for quick break. I thought a change from Amber Bock to maybe a Founders CHB would be in order. LOL. You really are an amazing modeler. I feel like you continue to grow and really continue to astound everyone. I too really like the cart and the placement of the details!
    Jim
  • edited December 2018
    Love it Ken. This scene really captures what makes your modeling so special. You make the scene your own while keeping the original character. The weathering is spot and consistent. Your a very organized modeler in the way that you lay out the details and scenes. Mine get a bit more haphazard!
  • Thanks Carl and slow is my MO!...

Appreciate that Robert and comments like that keep me rolling...thanks again!

Right you are Phil, the thinkin part really pays off and is a bunch of fun...spawned years ago from my first SierraWest Construction Manual...look, read,...and think!

Well Jim, you and I definitely need to sit down and have one of those Founders CHBs...how about we pull up a chair on the pattern shop dock and hash out how I'm going to detail the area?

I'll tell you Brett, I had more fun with that little Tempering Shed scene...so much character there. I'm glad you brought that up, I do need to be a bit careful I don't get carried away with the "organized" style as too much of that isn't natural. Thanks for the guidance and support...
  • edited December 2018
    I just finished up a fun little detail. I had overlooked putting in a hanging light above the "people door" leading from the concrete transfer dock to the Foundry. Rather than do the traditional "gooseneck" light mount I scratched a bracket of sorts and used the supplied light fixture. Did my usual concave reflector with my #11 blade and added a lightbulb. We'll see how I do attaching this to the foundry wall with the foundry already glued down!

IMG_4629
  • edited December 2018
    Ken,

Nice job on creating the overhead light fixture.Seeing this newly created outdoor light/fixture above the transfer dock door is already anticipated. (Took me a few minutes to realize that you were holding the light and fixture with a tweezers and it wasn't a part of the overhead light assembly. Duh!)

Is this the facade where you will add he new fixture assembly?
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/108/6K26VNUV5E56.jpg

Later, Dave S., Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Dave and that made me chuckle...

The light is mounted above the access door on the stone Foundry directly across from the sliding door of the Pattern Shop you show in the picture here. I'll get a picture once I get it mounted...
  • Notice that we are also seeing the hidden figure!!!
    Bill
  • Dave, here's a picture of the light mounted on the Foundry wall.

IMG_4653A
  • Whatever do you mean Bill??...hmmm
  • Ken,

Looks great. Nice variation on the "goose neck" lamp we are accustomed to seeing. Has a nice industrial look and feel to it. (Looks far better without the tweezers. So glad you didn't include them in the final install.) Might need a few pigeon droppings on the lamp shade with offending pigeon perched above. (LOL)

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Dave, hard enough for me to come around to adding an LP let alone any critters!

Hey Bill, I think the Foundry is haunted...I see a ghostly aberration....
  • Ken,
    You're right; pictures can appear, disappear and reappear before your very eyes! Ghosts must at work today. In spite of that all the details in this build are fantastic. The addition of this light (w/ wiring) now opens the door to some more interesting lighting effects. Will we see the glow of the furnace in one of the stacks; a light in the office window revealing an interior... We stand by for even greater wizardry.
    Bill
  • Nice addition.
  • Hey Ken,

Just fantastic work. I think my favorite shot is picture number #4 where you can see the excellent weathering done to the red wood siding next to the perfectly weathered concrete and brick.

Alan
  • Thanks Bryan,

Nice hearing from you Alan and appreciate the thoughts...
  • Thanks Bill and you certainly found my "hidden figure"...re-posting the pic. He's hard to spot without the close up picture...

IMG_4653
  • No fair playing hide and seek.